• 9(current)
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source
(2015-05-07, 12:33)fritsch Wrote: Sorry, can you explain your reasoning a bit more in detail?

When I buy something as a user and later realize, that I am not allowed to use my new box at all, I would feel sad. How would you feel?

You could reasonably know using the box is within a shady area.

Some people also buy those led bars for underneath their car. It is not illegal to sell them, it is not illegal to buy them, however it is illegal to drive around with them.
(2015-05-07, 12:36)Robotica Wrote:
(2015-05-07, 12:33)fritsch Wrote: Sorry, can you explain your reasoning a bit more in detail?

When I buy something as a user and later realize, that I am not allowed to use my new box at all, I would feel sad. How would you feel?

Stupid.
But at least my government protects me for this stupidity. Would you rather see those poor users in court? And do you really think you can control forks of a free codebase?

In the view of Dutch government, Jinx might be the criminal. Not a single user, not XBMC Foundation and not team XBMC.

Nope - I don't want to see a single user in court. I don't want to control anything. I just asked a question, of what can probably be done - that kodi users are not sacrificed when buying boxes, that make mergendizing with the "kodi mediacenter", but in deed are sold stuff, they are not allowed to use later, but are charged a whole lot of money. A rip off if you want to put it in other words.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-07, 12:46)fritsch Wrote: Nope - I don't want to see a single user in court. I don't want to control anything. I just asked a question, of what can probably be done - that kodi users are not sacrificed when buying boxes, that make mergendizing with the "kodi mediacenter", but in deed are sold stuff, they are not allowed to use later, but are charged a whole lot of money. A rip off if you want to put it in other words.

Of course it's a rip off. But I don't feel sorry for those stupid buyers. Why are you so concerned about them, anyway?
And the question was: What can kodi do against that? Should we add a list to our primary site, which company's sell plain kodi? That need to have the source they ship downloadable, that need to guarantee to not include any piracy addons by default? Implement a "approved by kodi for product x.y. in version a.b"?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@Robotica: I did not see that you edited your post later on.

Why am I concerned? I develop kodi for the people, the users, to use it free of charge. So I - personally - feel sad if someone is ripped off in the name of kodi, cause user thought: "ah, they have kodi, I have only heard good things".
Is microsoft going after all those shady crappy computer sellers?

He is runs windows, so must be good ....?
Microsoft introduced a Windows XY logo, that only certain vendors were allowed to put on their hardware. Quality something program - I nearly forgot that.

So - acting like Microsoft is doing, is your suggestion?

Edit: Here is their program: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...63010.aspx

We could do something like:

- Ships vanilla kodi
- Does not ship plugins, not done by team kodi
- And - what we wanted to do since long time: Plays SD/HD, does Deinterlacing, plays this and that audio codec.

Then we give such a Cert and warn users not to buy hw without that?
(2015-05-07, 13:18)fritsch Wrote: @Robotica: I did not see that you edited your post later on.

Why am I concerned? I develop kodi for the people, the users, to use it free of charge. So I - personally - feel sad if someone is ripped off in the name of kodi, cause user thought: "ah, they have kodi, I have only heard good things".

Yeah, sorry I edit a lot.
While I understand your feelings, I think you're very unhappy, developing GPL v2 software ;-)

It's all about users freedom, including those of the stupid buyers of free software and even Jinx to distribute it. That's the beauty (and purpose) of GPL v2.
But cheer up, Jinx stupid users represent 0,001% of Kodi-codebase so your work is only appreciated more.

If you ask me, the trademark policy is just silly. Only usefull if XBMC Foundation starts distributing software themselves and then you need a whole lot of money to have some decent world-coverage.
The problem is that users are kept stupid by sellers who advertise it in a way that it seems ok.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
@Robotica:
What do you think of a strategy to act more like Microsoft, with a logo or cert or something, like j1nx came up with (by accident)? Would that help?

Edit: Everything free of charge of course. They send a full working box, we check what is installed by default. Run a benchmark set (we use anyways for testing code) and then give gold or silver certs?
@Fritsch: I think it's total nonsense to try to control anything what happens after a commit ends in github. It's free software....
We don't control. Everyone can still do what he wants. Ship whatever box he wants. But there will only be some boxes, that are "verified and certified by team kodi". So users that buy exactly these boxes can be 100% safe.
I think you contradict yourself:
You don't want control however you want a certified and pirate-free Kodi-box.

But imagine XBMC Foundation having a certification process. For what purpose and what value would be created? As long as the Foundation isn't distributing Kodi, I don't see it.
The biggest value kodi has, is our users and those we need to backup. So we would - at the end - have some solutions (amongst others), that users could buy painless?

Again - I _asked_ that question three posts above and emphasized on the idea j1nx came up with Microsoft. So - what is your suggestion to make buying a box preinstalled with kodi more safe for average joe?
(2015-05-07, 13:31)Martijn Wrote: The problem is that users are kept stupid by sellers who advertise it in a way that it seems ok.

You are wrong there. That is your perception, the user base and demand shows the user do not even want to know.

Sell a guy a fish and he eats
Sell a guy how to fish and he eats for life.

But, sometimes people just want the freaking fish because they are to lazy to catch it themself.

In this regard, if (and I say if, because he is not doing it currently) DITis TV is providing the sources to it's customers when they ask for it, he is not;
- Breaking the GPL
- Breaking the TradeMark
- Breaking the law

That you don't like it or disagree with it is something else
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source2