Please Advise on HTPC build for xbmc and light gaming
Ok, its been a few years since I built my gaming pc, so im a little out of touch with todays tech. I built mine with a gtx 560ti, that was the latest series, so you get an idea of when that was lol.

I have only just realised what a htpc is, and how great an addition 1 would be to my living room, so hopefully I will build one in the next couple of months.
I am hoping you guys can give me some advice on parts which would be fit for purpose for me, as I feel like fred flintstone after reading through this forum lol.

I am hoping for something which consumes little power, is really cool and fast. I would ideally like to load either windows 7 or 8 on it, as it will then have the ability to run familiar applications, emulators etc. I like the idea of getting 8, as it would have the same feel as my phone and xbox one, but im still on 7 just now on my pc, so please advise.

I have seen the Silverstone GD05 case, which seems to be quite popular, although slightly expensive. The case cant be more than 200mm high and 350mm deep, to fit on my shelves I built.
Im not sure about PSU, but have seen I would probably be best with something gold+ or something like that. Again advice would be nice.

I am thinking the intel i3-4130t would be my best option, as it draws 35w, so should be rather cool as well, will the inbuilt graphics be suitable for me playing xbmc movies, tv show, light gaming? Counter strike, half life source, emulation such as ps2 etc?
Im also looking at the noctua nhl9 heatsink, it seems to be getting good reviews, and quite popular on builds I have seen.

I will definitely buy a SSD, would the Samsung evo 120gb be suitable, is there any better in same price bracket?
I would also like to add 1 maybe 2, 2-3GB hard drives. What are good brands, reliable, quiet etc.

Im really not sure on the motherboard, I don't know what makes 1 better than another to be honest, so please let me know. I have seen some have wi-fi, is this the best option, or would I be better with a wifi card, I don't fancy having an external aerial.

Ram will probably be something like Kingston hyperx 8GB, I know nothing about the latency ratings etc, do they matter for something like this?
Then I would like a blu ray drive, so I can play/rip discs etc.

I would also like it to boot instantly onto xbmc, and be controlled by a remote of some sort, to turn on from standby.

My budget is around £600, ideally cheaper if possible, it will take a couple months to get funds together.
I have a Yamaha rxv675 receiver with kef t301 speakers, so decent audio output would be preferred, not interested in 3d either, so don't need to compensate for that.

I know my thread is a little long and disorientated, but I appreciate if you have the time to read it and help me out.

Thanks
bump
For XBMC and some games, I'm recommending AMD APU instead. It have better iGPU than Intel. Here are your main components-

-AMD A8-6500 Richland 4.1GHz

-GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H

-Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

-Seasonic SSR-450RM ATX 12V/EPS 12V 450-Watt
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please Advise on HTPC build for xbmc and light gaming1