• 1(current)
Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices
My M3 devices were missing some love and updated XBMC Linux builds so I decided to go with compiling images myself.

It wasn't a large hurdle as allot of work have been done by the open source developers of Team XBMC, Pivos and the community like: Davilla, TheUni, t-nelson, J1nx, vDorst, Stane1983, Corey Moyer and much, much more that should be thank to.

My goal is to bring all the devices that supported by J1nx beta 2 Linux builds to the same level of usability as the the ones currently officially supported by Corey's, and to have any contribution and update that I make or cherry-picked from J1nx sources pushed back to Corey's

Disclaimer

By downloading these images and installing it on your device you're accepting full responsibility for any malfunction or damage that may occurs thereafter.
These builds got nothing to do with the XBMC Foundation so don't expect to get support from Team XBMC for issues with these builds.

Sources

Sources are available at https://github.com/MakakLabs/buildroot-amlogic-xbmc
Compiling from staging_frodo and staging_gotham branches will usually end with an image that include the latest fixes.
The images are based on Corey's Buildroot tree and I plan to push any change made back to Corey's tree.

Donations

If you're using these builds please consider to donate to the XBMC Foundation.

I do not wish to receive any donations.
I'm not a developer and my contibution was limited.
I do urge users to donate to the XBMC Foundation
When sending the donation I reccomend on adding a message that you're running Linux on Amlogic device and your'e thanking the XBMC Team and Pivos for including Amlogic support in the upstream sources.

I will not refuse device donation directly from suppliers (but will from users), as you can't have too many devices and it would be nice to have more test subjects (MX devices with DVB-T2 tuner are most welcome).
If you're one of the many suppliers of these devices you're welcome to contact me through a private message.
Be advised that:
* I'm not a developer.
* I do not wish to add support for devices that weren't supported by the Latest J1nx's beta2.
* You must have an official store (Aliexpress, Alibaba and etc) or website as I won't be sending my details to an unknown/anonymous user/email address.

Frodo Builds

These build will not be updated frequently, only when there're changes to the kernel.
Issues that exists probably won't be fixed.

Downloads:
Quote:G-Box / IPTV18 2.1/2.2 (rtl8192cu or rtl8188eu/etv)
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Frodo-20140507.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Frodo-20140412.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Frodo-20140411.zip
Gotham Builds

Notebale changes in Gotham:
Code:
Official XBMC Gotham changes:
* Use software decoding for DVD stream with still frame due to a bug with amcodec [Matricom's Brandon McAnsh].
* Tvheadend client works great with AAC audio.

Updates to patches from Frodo (updated by Corey):
* Amlogic power management (shutdown from menu...).
* RAM buffer patch
* Trickplay FF/RW fix (it's still far from perfect)
* HDMI audio fix silence blips
* Reduce AE buffer size check

FFMPEG related (updated by Corey):
* FFMPEG 1.2.4 patch
* UDP related fix

Known issues:
* Missing ALSA sample rates remapping, AFAIK the issue will be audioable with limited sample rates on analog output only.
* Enabling DTS and AC3 passthrough via gui isn't possible, I don't got a AVR so it'll be difficult to test but I'll see what I can do.
* GBOX back usb port won't accept keyboard.
* Unconfirmed (need logs and examples): some internet streams (audio less than 44.1k ?) would not play properly.

Features to test by users
It would much help to recieve respones from users about the following, logs and detail descriptions are welcome.
* 1080P output (I don't have access to one ATM).
* Stability of wifi for long period and logs when special issues arise.
* Confirm that wifi malformed key issue is resolved.
* Report about GBOX 2.0 and BlueM3 builds.

Recent build changes:
Code:
* Bump XBMC to latest Gotham commit.
* Bump PVR addons.
* Add ifplugd package for auto connect to lan without need of reboot.
* Some Atheros based usb wifi cards might be compatible but probably not updated models as the kernel quite old.
* Enable both rtl81xx_cu and rtl81xx_eu usb wifi drivers for all devices.
* IR810_POWEROFF module enabled, still can't turn off the devices completely from menu.

* Beautiful Gotham splashes (by Corey AFAIK).
* Wrong password issue seem to be resolved.

Downloads:
Quote:G-Box / IPTV18 2.1/2.2 (rtl8192cu or rtl8188eu/etv)
* M3_LINUX-GBOX-update-20140525.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Gotham-20140507-test1.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Gotham-20140507.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Gotham-20140412.zip
* M3_LINUX_GBOX-update-Gotham-20140411.zip

G-Box 2.0
This image was not tested, I recommend to have a recovery image at hand.
I will not build updated images without users reporting that this works.
* M3_LINUX-GBOX_2.0-update-20140525.zip

Bluetimes M3
This image was not tested, I recommend to have a recovery image at hand, initial report says it doesn't boot.
I will not build updated images without users reporting that this works.
Post a boot log of Android if you want to see the mac address change issue fixed and component output enabled, and also link to an Android or Linux image that doesn't got these issues.
* M3_LINUX-BlueM3-update-20140525.zip

Mygica A11
Not compatible with the newer model (Samsung memory).
No boot logo, I recommend to have a recovery image at hand.
Might work also with the following Geniatech/Mygica devices: ATV100 (1GB RAM model). ATV101, ATV310B, ATV510B (A11), ATV1100BT, ATV1100BS, ATV3000B.
* M3_LINUX-Mygica_A11-update-20140525.zip
Recommendations, Common problems and fixes

* If after adding the wifi hotspot network it terribly slow then disconnect, delete the hotspot and re-add it.

* Wrong password issue:
When initially setting the wifi you may be asked to re-enter the password even when it's correct.
You can skip this and close the Virtual Keyboard window and also close the "Available Access Points" window.
You'll see on the Wifi Connection window a message about a malformed key, don't worry, just choose the newly added conection and click on it to connect, now it should work.

* Update / Recovery Menu userdata wipe issue:
You might failed to wipe userdata partition from the recovery menu, this happened to me with the rtl8192cu device.
I haven't looked at this issue, probably partitions addresses are not corrected in the recovery kernel installed on the nand.
As a temporary solution you can ssh (or use sftp client) to access your device and just manually delete your /root/.xbmc folder.
Thank you Dhead for this build
We really appreciate your commitment to the community
Thanks dhead .
I have tested the frodo build,wifi issue seems resolved.
I do get lot of buffering while playing internet streams through mashup and sportsdevil .
@Jackhari

This might be pushed to next week but I plan to give the wifi drivers another look and see if we can get better performance by a little tweaking and maybe even to update them to a newer version with Pivos changes to the current ones.

In the next update more wifi drivers would be enabled so some usb wifi adapters will be compatible (keep in mind that the kernel is a bit old).
(2014-04-14, 05:33)dhead Wrote: @Jackhari

This might be pushed to next week but I plan to give the wifi drivers another look and see if we can get better performance by a little tweaking and maybe even to update them to a newer version with Pivos changes to the current ones.

In the next update more wifi drivers would be enabled so some usb wifi adapters will be compatible (keep in mind that the kernel is a bit).

Thanks mate, looking forward to the updated version .
Really looking forward to trying this. I have a GBox/Slav clone (the dome shaped box). Currently running Matricom ICS with a H/A XBMC 12.2 - is ok but would like to get it to pure Linux. Any issues with codecs and are there any other major issues? Is the remote mapped for XBMC? Which version of Frodo - 12.3?

Thanks in advance
The gotham build runs pretty good but the biggest problem I found was it doesn't buffer ahead very much compared to j1nx. Also I could not get pass through to work.
Thanks warrior . . . not worried about passthrough as I just use HDMI . . . .. is the Frodo build 12.3? Whats the problem with the buffer? Can't you change the buffer in advancedsettings XML?
It's a gotham build I'm talking about, which is 13. I did try the cache more advanced settings but didnt seem to change anything or very little. The Frodo build is 12.3 I think. I believe you can use either one of these builds by dhead, also you could use the original j1nx beta 2 (frodo12.0) or stvv5 build (frodo12.2) on matricom forums. Try them all and see what you like. J1nx beta2 still works great for me.
Thanks warrior . . I'm trying to get to 12.3 AND Linux so airplay works from iOS7 and get the Linux speed benefits . . . . i run Gotham on my Mac, but its not quite there yet.
Try the Frodo build but I think gotham is the only one I've tried where airplay works from ios7
I've got 12.3 on Mac and airplay works with iOS 7.1 . . . . fingers cross this build should work to. Bit concerned about the buffer problem. Don't really want to do the J1nx build as I think it's on 12.0
Hi, I can't seem to successfully flash either of these builds onto my Bluetimes M3 box running one of the earlier Pivos Linux builds. It just freezes at the kernel boot screen.

Should I flash back to Android before I flash the Linux Gotham build?

Also, with earlier builds I have had difficulty getting a stable/static IP address as the MAC seems to change. Anyone else had this problem with earlier Jinx builds or this one?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices7