User Accounts in Windows (8.1)
Hi All,

I've been running a home server and multiple clients with mediaportal / xbmc for years now but one thing I have never bothered with is proper User Accounts.

I just read / write share with everyone and not worry about it. However, as I add more clients and have more family members watching films I think it is probably something I need to address.

User accounts seem to have got much more complicated with Windows 8 / 8.1 and the choice between local and live accounts.

What would be great is if someone could describe how they have their accounts set-up.

e.g. Do they just create a read only XBMC user account on the file server and on all the clients as well? And are people using local accounts with win 8 / 8.1?

etc, etc

Thanks in advance
do you want to create accounts for simply watching media because you can use Profiles in XBMC and each family member can have their own profile with their own settings and customizations

I used to use profiles when i only had the one machine now i have more than one each person has their own machine running openelec so all they can do is watch media (i have a windows 8.1 machine as i do other things) and because they have their own machine i have simple created seperate Mysql databases for each of them that way if they watch something it doesn't mark it as watch on my machine and vice versa

it all links together on my windows server which holds the databases
I just created a free Microsoft account that I use for my HTPC setups so the all stay configured the same and easily use one as the server.
If you have a windows live account it saves the settings on the account (cloud)? Is it all windows settings? Anything not part of that?
I'm not sure of all that it saves but what I do know it syncs is apps, background, start menu layout, and ties into the"Onedrive" account. That's where I keep any files that I need synced between devices. Anything else it does I'm not sure since I've just recently had it on multiple capable computers that weren't tablets.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
User Accounts in Windows (8.1)0