XBMC System Box
Looking to setup every tv in house with XBMC. Some will stream via Ethernet wire and some via wifi. Have 2 computers (windows based) that store all movies/tv shows/etc. May consider moving all of this media to a NAS device.

I want to hook up about 6-8 tvs on XBMC.

I currently have 3 Habey ENT-6564 Tiny mini-ITX Atom D525 1.8Ghz ION2 - all running XBMC via Windows. These units run very hot (to the point the USB sockets do not work as well anymore - very lose), but do an ok streaming the media. I plan to use these3 on tvs I will not use as much. So looking to purchase 3-5 solid complete systems that I can mount behind the tvs or look good enough to be diplayed (I can build my own, but just prefer to purchase a complete unit to save time). Really I care more for HD video performance (no buffering, drops, etc.) than anything else. No real need for bluray player since all my media is digital. One other feature I would like (so hardware options here as well) would be ability to watch live tv (trying to avoid cable bill - so any good antennas to keep the wife happy)?

They do not have to be on Windows (prefer not to spend the money for windows for each unit since only using to stream media) - but do want to be able to communicate easily with each other. I have spent hours reading a lot of posts (sticky section on this topic appears dated - although speaks more to building than option to purchase stand alone system) and the more I read the more questions I have (I also realize this can be a very personal touch on how to build your own units so opinions may vary slightly).

Much appreciated to the community for any and all help.
Check antennas direct for OTA tv
I bought a clear stream V2 I think mounted outside on roof facing the towers
I get 30 channels in great HD ran it into the cable box feeds outside the house
Had to use a 5 way splitter now every room has HD tv for free
Forget about making the wife happy that ain't going to happen ;)
I have tried different android boxes some ok some very slow
I bought windows 7 pcs for me works the best
Most small frame ones all use wireless mouse and keyboards
Have 5 up and running XBMC only
Ran cat6 thin cable from monoprice to all but one
That one using Wifi. Have not had a cable bill in a year
Was paying 120 a month now 0
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here with a lot more expertise
on this
I am a newbie so if I can get her done you will be good to go
Now I watch whatever I want when I want
Openelec would be best for these it runs much better on lower power devices and is basically an appliance style setup you turn on the machine and it boots straight into xbmc plus it is based on linux so is completely free

I use a combination of Windows Machines and Openelec machines Openelec being on the older slower computer just for watching media and windows for watching media but also surfing the internet

I am not a huge fan of linux as i find it more complicated than windows but Openelec is a Fantastic piece of software and can highly recommend it for low power devices check out http://www.openelec.tv
Those ion2 boxes are prefect for xbmc. I'm running two revolution r3700 with same specs. Openelec or Ubuntu minimal plus xbmc work perfectly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC System Box0