OUYA media centre and HDDS
Hi all,

i would like to enquire about how well xbmc now runs on ouya from current owners and if it is able to read files from an external HDD attached. This is because i'm currently looking at ouya to replace my aging PC that i have used as a media centre for some time now. Thanks all for your time.
I use a NTFS-formatted USB hard drive on my rooted Ouya. I had to sideload StickMount to get the Ouya to recognize it in NTFS. You may not have to use any extra app, your Ouya might just see the drive without StickMount. Drives formatted in FAT32 should be no problem.
Ouya has supported NTFS drives for a while now. But only one at a time. No need to use stickmount or root.
My HDD wasn't showing up in XBMC even after that firmware update for USB storage, so I had to re-install StickMount. I'm using a USB hub with a Flirc and a flash drive attached, so that probably had something to do with it.
XBMC runs terrible on Ouya. It WORKS in periods. Sometimes, if you pause it, you have to reboot it from the beginning, because it freezes. Sometimes, you get 10 mins of video. Sometimes, you can go for hours. It just...kinda freaks out at random. I really really want it to work, and have been enjoying it to some degree, but I can't stand it shutting off all the time. You can NOT use a hub. You get 1 USB port. A hub allows it to show 1 device. Also, if you swap on the fly or use a hub, all your folders from 1 copy to the other drive with 0MB data. They just...show up. Then you have to delete again. I've had mine 3 months and put it through the ringer. It's on it's way out for me.
(2014-04-12, 06:32)calev Wrote: Ouya has supported NTFS drives for a while now. But only one at a time. No need to use stickmount or root.
I have to use usbotg helper for multiple drives to show up
(2014-04-12, 21:05)McButton Wrote: XBMC runs terrible on Ouya. It WORKS in periods. Sometimes, if you pause it, you have to reboot it from the beginning, because it freezes. Sometimes, you get 10 mins of video. Sometimes, you can go for hours. It just...kinda freaks out at random. I really really want it to work, and have been enjoying it to some degree, but I can't stand it shutting off all the time. You can NOT use a hub. You get 1 USB port. A hub allows it to show 1 device. Also, if you swap on the fly or use a hub, all your folders from 1 copy to the other drive with 0MB data. They just...show up. Then you have to delete again. I've had mine 3 months and put it through the ringer. It's on it's way out for me.

You can use a hub just only one usb memory device at a time. My hub has a keyboard and usb drive connected to it.
Your suppose to click safely remove drive in the ouya menu before you disconnect it. Just like on a mac. Thats why directories are getting copied when you switch them at random times.

(2014-04-12, 21:12)tennisbgc Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 06:32)calev Wrote: Ouya has supported NTFS drives for a while now. But only one at a time. No need to use stickmount or root.

Do the drives ever get order reversed on reboot?
(2014-04-12, 23:51)calev Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 21:05)McButton Wrote: XBMC runs terrible on Ouya. It WORKS in periods. Sometimes, if you pause it, you have to reboot it from the beginning, because it freezes. Sometimes, you get 10 mins of video. Sometimes, you can go for hours. It just...kinda freaks out at random. I really really want it to work, and have been enjoying it to some degree, but I can't stand it shutting off all the time. You can NOT use a hub. You get 1 USB port. A hub allows it to show 1 device. Also, if you swap on the fly or use a hub, all your folders from 1 copy to the other drive with 0MB data. They just...show up. Then you have to delete again. I've had mine 3 months and put it through the ringer. It's on it's way out for me.

You can use a hub just only one usb memory device at a time. My hub has a keyboard and usb drive connected to it.
Your suppose to click safely remove drive in the ouya menu before you disconnect it. Just like on a mac. Thats why directories are getting copied when you switch them at random times.

(2014-04-12, 21:12)tennisbgc Wrote:

Do the drives ever get order reversed on reboot?
yeah, that's the only issue I have with it. sometimes it takes a couple reboots to get them back in order. I wish there was a script that could be added to fix this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OUYA media centre and HDDS0