Linux Can you recommend a distro, or solution to these Ubuntu annoyances?
I'm moving systems around, and need to run Linux on my livingroom HTPC - not enough Windows licences and there doesn't seem much point in dropping $100 for something so simple.

All I need is this:

1) Boot directly into XBMC
2) Very easy wife-friendly way (single keypress) to switch between XBMC and a Kiosk-mode Chromium window.

My wife watches a lot of shows on oddball streaming sites, and I've never had any luck getting addons to stream video successfully. My current HTPC in the living room is running Windows, autostarts XBMC and Chrome, and I've bound ALT-TAB to a remote button so switching between XBMC and Chrome is painless.

I've been trying this with Ubuntu 12.04, but there are a slew of minor problems. I have trouble getting both XBMC and Chrome to autostart, with XBMC being full screen with the focus at startup. Once it's there, you have to take it off Full Screen before you can switch windows because while XBMC is fullscreen Ubuntu decides to pay no attention to things like ALT-TAB... then it's awkward to get things back fullscreen again. Wife becomes annoyed.

Of course, XBMCbuntu and OpenElec are unsuitable, because neither offers fully featured web browsers capable of running Flash - or at least without being even more awkward (logging in and out of the XBMC user in XBMCbuntu, for example).

Is there some configuration option I'm missing, or some simple way to set this up? Or would another distro be preferable? Basically, I don't want to see the underlying OS at all, really - I just want to see XBMC or Chrome.
I would recommend installing xbmcbuntu 13, configuring it to autostart into the xbmcbuntu desktop session (or openbox, which I prefer), which in turn autostarts xbmc. Install the Chrome Launcher plugin, and also install pipelight for better flash video playback. If controlling the flash video is glitchy (fullscreen, play/pause etc..) disable embedding of the video in the webpage. I personally dont use xbmcbuntu, but chrome + pipelight-flash is working really well, much better that the linux version of flash.
Thanks! There's a lot of great info in the Chrome Launcher thread, too, which will really help out. Thanks!
Definitely go OpenElec
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Err, you can get a full flash video playing web browser in openelec?
Yes - chromium is packaged since oe 4.0
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Huh, I had no idea; I've always used openelec on my RasPi's so that's never been an option, had no idea the desktop version had a browser at all. Well, I feel foolish.
No chromium for the PI of course. That version does not even run X11.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-04-12, 20:30)fritsch Wrote: Yes - chromium is packaged since oe 4.0

Really? How do I find it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
it's in the unofficial repos, easy to install with flash support and everything
(2014-04-12, 22:03)fritsch Wrote: it's in the unofficial repos, easy to install with flash support and everything

Thanks, should have thought of looking in addons.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you can install pipelight in OE yeah that would be a good choice, otherwise stick to a distro you can install it on - linux flash doesnt have the drm of the windows version and wont work will all online streams, but pipelight-flash has streamed everything so far.

edit, unless OE comes with HAL, which is needed for linux flash drm http://forums.adobe.com/message/6209692

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can you recommend a distro, or solution to these Ubuntu annoyances?0