New laptop purchase recommendations anyone?
Hello all,

I'm tasked with replacing my neighbours HTPC XBMC laptop.

The last one we got him was almost 4 years ago and had a Nvidia GPU that played well with the XBMC version at the time. We took back a unit that had an ATI GPU that wasn't playing nice with XBMC.

He'll go with pretty much anything I recommend and figured I would put this out to the community here for opinions on manufactures/models (we're in Canada) or pros/cons of ATI vs Nvidia in the mobile platform for XBMC.

Thanks.
Or a Raspberry Pi and an iPad...? Smile (Assuming the laptop is being connected to a TV)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
If it is for XBMC, I prefer Microsoft Pro over laptop. He might like it too- Microsoft Surface Pro....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks guys but it HAS to be a laptop. Anything other than a regular "PC" is out of the question. You can't teach an old dog new tricks in this case. LOL

I've given him this as an high-end option as this will be used for tasks other than XBMC.

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-G750JW-SB7...CA_1_20001

...and Windows 8 will be the first thing to go....will downgrade it to Windows 7. This guys head would explode trying to use Win8. Heh
(2014-04-12, 19:15)clipper99 Wrote: Thanks guys but it HAS to be a laptop. Anything other than a regular "PC" is out of the question. You can't teach an old dog new tricks in this case. LOL
Microsoft Surface Pro is a small laptop with a powerful Intel i5 in it. It is more versatile than a standard laptop. I owns two other Dell and Sony laptops, but I prefer using Microsoft Surface Pro than any of them. Ask him to visit the local electronics store to test drive it....

bluray,

Thanks again for your suggestions but you've never met anyone quite like my neighbour. Like many of my retail clients over the last 30-odd years (yes, I'm older than your average geek) I learned a long time ago to listen to the client. Smile

PS...there's no way the Surface Pro is gonna play the games this guy and his wife will throw at it either!
(2014-04-12, 19:55)clipper99 Wrote: bluray,

Thanks again for your suggestions but you've never met anyone quite like my neighbour. Like many of my retail clients over the last 30-odd years (yes, I'm older than your average geek) I learned a long time ago to listen to the client. Smile

PS...there's no way the Surface Pro is gonna play the games this guy and his wife will throw at it either!
After 5 kids and some kids are in their teen, I don't consider myself an average geek age either. I didn't know you are looking for a gaming laptop. One of my nephew have an Alienware gaming laptop, and he enjoy it very much. Here is the link- Alienware 18 Gaming Laptop....
If you are still looking or probably just a recommendation, maybe you could go and recommend him/her this MSI Computer GE60 APACHE Laptop. Just a thought of having a power performance laptop.
Given the thread is almost 3 years old, I doubt it...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New laptop purchase recommendations anyone?0