XBMC sync to refreshrate options..
I have turned on "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and its working perfect on 23.976fps movies on my 24p Panasonic Plasma TV. it runs very smooth.

However. on 25.000FPS content, XBMC set my TV to 50Hz, and the result is not so good. I get alot of unsmooth movement or lag, and its a bit annoying.

If i run the same content in VLC, and my TV set to 60Hz, its alot smoother.

Is there anything i can do to prevent XBMC setting my TV to 50Hz on 25.000FPS content and still have it to set my tv to 24p on 23.976 movies?

Thanks!
HTPC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 | AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT | 32GB DDR5 6000 | 2x WD Black SN770 1TB + 182TB HDD.
TV/Audio: LG OLED CX 77 | Yamaha RX-A3070 | 5.1.2 Atmos Speaker Setup

Software:
Kodi: v21.0 Omega | Skin: Madnox.Redux v21.00.11 | OS: Windows 11 Home
Have a look at <adjustrefreshrate> in advancedsettings.xml http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml#video (wiki)
(2014-04-12, 16:31)uNiversal Wrote: Have a look at <adjustrefreshrate> in advancedsettings.xml http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml#video (wiki)

I cant get it to work.

I already have a advancedsettingsfile for delaying my audio, so my xml looks like this

Quote:-<advancedsettings>
-<video>
-<latency>
-<refresh>
<min>23</min>
<max>24</max>
<delay>200</delay>
</refresh>
</latency>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Could anyone help me out?

I want my 25FPS content to be displayed at 60Hz..

Thanks!
HTPC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 | AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT | 32GB DDR5 6000 | 2x WD Black SN770 1TB + 182TB HDD.

Software:
Try this.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <video>
       <latency>
         <refresh>
           <min>23</min>
           <max>24</max>
           <delay>200</delay>
         </refresh>
       </latency>
      <adjustrefreshrate>
        <override>
          <fpsmin>24.99</fpsmin>
          <fpsmax>25.01</fpsmax>
          <refresh>60</refresh>
        </override>
      </adjustrefreshrate>
    </video>
</advancedsettings>
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2014-04-12, 19:34)brazen1 Wrote: Try this.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <video>
       <latency>
         <refresh>
           <min>23</min>
           <max>24</max>
           <delay>200</delay>
         </refresh>
       </latency>
      <adjustrefreshrate>
        <override>
          <fpsmin>24.99</fpsmin>
          <fpsmax>25.01</fpsmax>
          <refresh>60</refresh>
        </override>
      </adjustrefreshrate>
    </video>
</advancedsettings>

Thank you!! Big Grin

Software:
Why would you want to use 60Hz for 25 fps content? If it doesn't work for some reason you should investigate that. Have you checked that the TV actually switches to 50 Hz and not something else?
Watching 25Hz content at 60Hz is a real mistake. You will get nasty frame repetition to get from 25 to 60 which will mangle linear motion and make it juddery. (50Hz content at 60Hz is even worse - you get 10Hz motion judder on linear motion - it's unwatchable)

If you are getting nasty judder with 25Hz content played back at 50Hz then something else is wrong. All European broadcast TV is 50Hz, and movies, TV drama (and many documentaries) are shot 25p and broadcast at 50Hz using 2:2 repeition/pulldown. Movies (and US shows) that are shot 24p are sped up to 25p and then broadcast at 50p or 50i (depends on your broadcaster)

If you're seeing "lag" (whatever that is) then there is a problem somewhere. Does your TV have any frame interpolation? (Natural Motion, Motion Flow etc.?) These can go badly wrong in some cases.
The tv has "Intelligent Frame Creation" or "24p Smooth Film" as it is called when watching 24p content.

I know the recommendation is to turn things like this off, but i prefer to have mine set to Medium, as i like the fluid motion it creates watching movies.

Watching TV broadcast is not any issue, and it is 50Hz with no lag or juddering at all. Neither is watching NHL on PS3.

But watching Air Crash Investigation ripped from National Geographic makes things stuttery and laggy, i dont know why. The tv is switched to 50Hz so thats not the problem. After i forced the tv to 60Hz its not perfect but much better than 50Hz.. I have not watched any other 25p content yet.

Software:
idk what OS you have, but depeding on the modelines your tv oututs you may actually need to tweak them and have specific modes for each fps, in Linux this is relatively simple to achieve.

If Linux you can look at Debug log and xandr outputs etc and tweak xorg.conf and add correct modelines.
This is possible also with nvidia gpus anything else is a unknown process.

See Configuring_resolution_via_xorg.conf (wiki) to get you some ideas.
@Simkin84 have you tried any other clips than that Nat Geo show? Sometimes stuff ripped from TV has a messed up framerate which may trick your TV into switching to 50 Hz when it infact should be 60.
Quote:idk what OS you have, but depeding on the modelines your tv oututs you may actually need to tweak them and have specific modes for each fps, in Linux this is relatively simple to achieve.

If Linux you can look at Debug log and xandr outputs etc and tweak xorg.conf and add correct modelines.
This is possible also with nvidia gpus anything else is a unknown process.

See Configuring_resolution_via_xorg.conf to get you some ideas.

I run Windows 7 64Bit.

(2014-04-13, 17:09)negge Wrote: @Simkin84 have you tried any other clips than that Nat Geo show? Sometimes stuff ripped from TV has a messed up framerate which may trick your TV into switching to 50 Hz when it infact should be 60.

No, i have to look through my harddrives so see if i have any other 25p content.

The show may have messed up framerate, but mediainfo says its 25.000FPS, so XBMC setting my TV to 50Hz is correct?

However, here is the video info on Air Crash Investigation. (HDTV 1080i)
Quote:ID : 514 (0x202)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=12
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 43mn 59s
Bit rate : 4 753 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.092
Stream size : 1.46 GiB (88%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Software:
(2014-04-13, 15:41)Simkin84 Wrote: The tv has "Intelligent Frame Creation" or "24p Smooth Film" as it is called when watching 24p content.

You TV should be able to handle 24p content without any issue and, unless it has a horrible specification, it's always advised to turn off any extra processing the TV has to do. More image processing means more things to go wrong, your HTPC + XBMC can handle pretty much any file you throw it its direction.

I know the recommendation is to turn things like this off, but i prefer to have mine set to Medium, as i like the fluid motion it creates watching movies.

I've not once seen a motion rate compensation method that actually improves viewing - maybe with the exception of some sport.

But watching Air Crash Investigation ripped from National Geographic makes things stuttery and laggy, i dont know why. The tv is switched to 50Hz so thats not the problem. After i forced the tv to 60Hz its not perfect but much better than 50Hz.. I have not watched any other 25p content yet.

Ideally you want the minimum amount of conversion. NatGeo is well known for airing poorly converted content from PAL to NTSC and vice versa. If it's a downloaded encode you may find that it aired on NatGeo in a PAL area but it NTSC in origin and has the issue I've already mentioned. I've also seen cases where the content has gone from PAL -> NTSC -> PAL leaving it look terrible on a normal television.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I suggest you try with a different file and make sure your TV really switches to the correct framerate (usually you'll see it if you press the "info" button on your TV's remote).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC sync to refreshrate options..0