Win XBMC not adding TV series
Dear all,

I have been using XBMC for at least a year or two now and since the beginning I have used it for movies as well as TV series. Lately I have come across two cases where XBMC will not find my newly added TV series even though I have used exactly the same method + naming convention as before.

Example: In the past I have successfully added The Americans seasin 1 to my database. However season 2 won't even be found by XBMC.

- Here is how I followed naming conventions for season 2 (which by the way works for season 1): Z:\Video\Series\The Americans\Season 2\The.Americans.S02E01.mkv

- Here is the link to the TVDB showing that the numbering of the episodes is correct

- Here is the error log which contains a trace while scanning for new content. It clearly says "DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No (new) information was found in dir Z:\Video\Series\The Americans\"

This is not the first case I have. Can anyone please help?

Regards
refresh that tvshow manally
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-04-13, 11:47)Martijn Wrote: refresh that tvshow manally

Hi Martijn, thanks for the reply however I do not know what you mean. I always start a library refresh manually if that is what you mean.
Right-click on the show > Refresh should do it. Are you running a beta or Frodo?
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I am sure this isn't the case but once I had a similar issue and it turned out to be file permissions so xbmc couldn't see the new files.
.:B:. and erichzann, thank however none of the 2 hypotheses is correct as I did add series and movies successfully in between the first issue and the last one which is discussed above here. Also all of my series are in the same location, just different subfolders. Also right click and refresh would not do anything.

I am running Frodo version 12.3 compiled Dec 19th 2013. It is the latest official version to my knowledge, not a beta.
Pffff...

In an attempt to solve this issue I renamed only one file from "The.Americans.S02E01.mkv" to "The.Americans_S02E01.mkv" and then I ran the library update.

I noticed the scraper found the new information, not only the renamed file but also the other season 2 files that were in the same folder and that were previously ignored by XBMC.

However the result was pretty far from what I wanted! Not only is there still no season 2 to be found, season 1 was removed from my library even though I did not touch those files at all! Nice!

Changing ALL the files in season 1 and 2 to have the underscore in the name did not solve this. A new log even indicates that XBMC omits the folder entirely.

Any inspiration...?
... solved by creating a nfo file for the TV series!

Strange though that XBMC has problems finding shows that are on TVDB.com while everything else such as naming convention is OK. Up to now I only had minor problems with a few movies.
This is very odd behavior indeed. Is your initial folder named "Season 1" ?

I'm not sure if something else caused it, but I had some slightly similar problems with a different series and subfolder names. Didn't check logs, changing folder names to "S01", "S02", "S03" etc, worked for me. My procedure:
  • Changed affected series season folders names to S01, S02, S03 etc
  • Video -> files -> browsed to affected series folder
  • Right-click, "scan for new content"
  • Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean library - remove old entries when requested

EDIT: under "change content" for the show folder, removing the "folder contains a single show" option might ease things if TVDB season entries happened to accidentally be filed as 2 different shows. If TVDB entries are correct, the option should at worst make no difference at all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Before the behaviour discussed in post #7 all my files were named and located as follows:

Z:\Video\Series\The Americans\Season 1\The.Americans.S01E01.mkv
... etc. for season 1 files

Z:\Video\Series\The Americans\Season 2\The.Americans.S02E01.mkv
... etc. for season 2 files

At that point season 1 was in the library, season 2 would not be added which was fhe reason for starting this post. Then as explained in post #7 I put an underscore in only one file whick led to season 1 being removed from the library and season 2 would still not be added.

Now, the fix with the nfo file works for this particular problem but NOT for an identical problem (Once Upon a Time => Season 1 in library, Season 2 will not be added)
I know this is an old post but just posting a solution so other can find it

As per the link in the TVDB the show is actually labelled as "The Americans (2013)". "The Americans" is actually an older, unrelated TV show.
Rename the folder to "The Americans (2013)" and it will index properly.

This goes for other shows that are not indexing as well. Make sure that the title is exactly the same as the comparison site.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not adding TV series0