How to Connect Remote Pi's to configured WD My Cloud??
Hey everyone!

So! I setup my pi to be NFS installed, and I also mounted NFS to the media folder I created.

My question now is, what is the best method for me to have a Pi in a completely remote location (an hour away) be able to
access the NFS share (that has the media files on them).

Someone said VPN but I dont have any clear cut direction, is there a guide to source the video file from a remote location to this NAS WD My Cloud
Anyone?
Perhaps, like me, others find this confusing.
What equipment is where, and what resources are you using, and what OS is involved ...?
Derek
I have a similar issue.

I have a Raspberry PI with XBMC 13 Openelec installed

I also have a WD My Cloud at a remote location with DNS resolving to a sticky IP (Virgin)

I have successfully used the WD My Cloud app for iPhone and AirPlay to the Pi. This works only for videos that are compatible with iPhone eg m4v & mp4. It doesn't add the movies to the library within xbmc which is how I would like it to work.
I also currently have ports 80 and 443 forwarding to the NAS through the router at the remote location
I have just tried forwarding 445 and connecting by SMB

Also tried forwarding 1900 for UPnp

Neither of these worked...........

Anybody got any suggestions?
You don't say whether you've added the MyCloud videos as a source, and then updated the library.

I don't think the attempt to use smb will get anywhere outside your local network - but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
Similarly for UPnP.
Derek
That is where I have a problem. Don't know how to add the My Cloud as a video source when on a remote network. I have added a NAS on the local network no problem. Which protocol should I use to find it?
WD My Cloud is most likely some proprietary mechanism for DDNS + file serving (like a large botnet, where you voluntarily enable remote access to your device and later you gain access to your data with a login name and a password). Their mobile applications can use this net to access your files. Unless you find an open-source implementation/support for this net/protocol you will not be able to use My Cloud remotely. (Disclaimer: I don't know how it works, this is pure speculation).

Exposing Samba/CIFS or NFS to internet is definitely a very bad idea, from security point of view. If I were you, I would've tried sshfs first, Samba/CIFS or NFS via OpenVPN next.
I found this on the WD website:

Critical: The use of SSH (Secure Shell) can potentially harm the hard drive and could result in the drive and the data within it becoming inaccessible or lost. The use of SSH to tamper with the drive in order to modify or attempt to modify the device outside of the normal operation of the product will void the drive's warranty.
I have a 2TB MyBook and a 4TB MyCloud and access them both using FTP or SFTP. As people have mentioned already, use a service such as noip ot dyndns to give your ip a name, and then "add source" in xbmc and look for FTP and SFTP.
Would this work with movie/music streaming?
FTP is insecure, besides its PITA to use FTP and port forwarding, and SFTP works over ssh, hence, requires working ssh.

Yes, enabling ssh on WD My Cloud poses some risks, but provides great flexibility. Everything depends on how comfortable do you feel about working with the command line and configuring Unix services. I believe there is no simple, "press here", solution about what you need and possible approaches depends on your setup. Best ask knowledgeable friend for help, because exposing services to the Internet comes with associated risks; if that is not an option do spend several hours of reading and consider this (for ssh):
  • if using port forwarding move ssh service to another port,
  • if pre-shared key is not an option use long, random password, 20 characters or more,
  • consider limiting ssh access by remote IP or sub-network,
  • keep in mind upgrading software on WD My Cloud kills most system data and custom changes, including root's authorized_keys and ssh server's key pairs (per my experience user data survives upgrades Big Grin... for now),
  • if you don't feel comfortable messing with Internet-accessible Unix services don't keep personal data on the same server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Connect Remote Pi's to configured WD My Cloud??0