Just can't seem to rip Fringe
I have seasons of Fringe that I want to get into XBMC but the episodes are not separate files like every other show discs I have. I tried ripping the main title and ripping chapter ranges in Handbrake but the audio and video don't sync and the episodes seem to overlap chapters. Anyone successfully gotten Fringe into XBMC and can help me out?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Nearly all discs are like that. If you look at a DVD then you'll see multiple VOB files containing a few episodes each, or part episodes.

There are many ways to encode but I suggest you first merge the VOBs together (in order) and then split them into episodes and encode from there.

Or you can merge, encode as one large file then split into episodes afterwards. It's up to you.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I have nearly 100 series and this is the only one like that. I'm having to use time code splitting in Handbrake to get episodes.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
If it's a DVD then good ol' DVDShrink will do it. Turn the 1GB limit off on VOB files, and you can re-author the disc - effectively, copy the separate tracks to hard disc but make sure each one drops into a separate VOB of whatever size is needed. You can then encode them one at a time in Handbrake if you want to squash them down.

And if that doesn't work... because it's MPEG-2 it's eminently splittable, avidemux should do it with no difficulty (1080p H.264 is an entirely different kettle of fish...).
(2014-04-13, 19:34)Prof Yaffle Wrote: (1080p H.264 is an entirely different kettle of fish...).

With Avidemux? Works perfectly on there.

H.264 content is no harder to encode or rip than a DVD, as long as the tool to decrypt the source is there -- encoding is a matter of knowing what one is doing. I'm against Handbrake for many reasons, but it does do the job with a pretty UI.

It's the seasons of Fringe. In all of the series' I have, it's the only one that doesn't have individual files for episodes. I'm having to rip the whole 30+TB file and then search through the video in VLC to get time ranges to make episodes and make batches to to get s01e01, s01e02, etc. It's a major pain that way and super time consuming. I was wondering if there was a faster way.
Only way that could be faster is if you had a program that recognized the individual episodes. Have you tried MakeMkv? If it can see the individual episodes, you can copy those to disk (it's a 1:1 copy) and then run HandBrake afterwards to meet your desired format, and size.
I have MakeMKV and it doesn't see it like it sees other TV shows. It sees a single 3+ hour file. I have to rip that and then use Handbrake to scan through and add times to make episodes. I can't even use chapters because episodes end a few seconds into a certain chapter like 8 and then the next episode starts a few more seconds into the same chapter. Looks like they made this show way hard for some reason.
I had the same issue, ended up ripping the one large file, playing back in mpc-hc, noting the end of each episode and then splitting with mkvmerge.
Encode the whole file and use Avidemux (freeware) to set start and finish points (e.g. per episode) and export without re-encoding.

This shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes including the time it takes to export the media. No re-encoding is done, just make sure you select the mkv (or desired) container otherwise it will try and export H.264 and AC3/DTS in an AVI container.

1 ) Use the red coloured A to set a start point and the black B next to it to set the end point.

2) Make sure video and audio output (on the left) are set to 'Copy'

3) Make sure the Output Format (container) is set to 'Mkv muxer'.

4) Click the floppy disk icon at the top and name the file, shouldn't take more than a few seconds/minutes to export the desired part.

5) Check the file to make sure it's as you want.

tip: the double arrows move to ref frames and are a good way to skip along to start and end points.

Well it looks like the rest of the discs have invididual episode files. Much easier.
(2014-04-13, 21:22)Piers Wrote: With Avidemux? Works perfectly on there.

Interesting... I get frequent errors on certain channels (CBBC, for example - but rarely BBC TWO HD) that bork the split/copy. And the new version - 2.6.8? - just crashes immediately for me.

It must be a source/signal issue...
Well after a day-long saga I got all the episodes split up for season 1. The only problem now is that some show as HD and some don't. I'm sure that probably has something to do with headers. How do I edit them so they show the HD flag?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just can't seem to rip Fringe0