Remote Control for XBMC, WMC & TV.
Hi all. I'm new to XBMC and this forum (I’ve used WMC since it 1st came bundled with XP but I’ve given up on it now - it kept dying, due to the database file’s inability to log all of my media collection - max size 2GB).
I’ve installed XBMC 12.3 and spent many hours playing around with it to see what it can do and researching tweaks. It’s got some great features that eclipse Media Center and there’s a massive wealth of help and advice on the net but my main issue ATM is researching a remote control solution that I’d be happy with.

I’ve got a couple of WMC RC6 eHome IR remotes (RC1974506/01) and got them working with the help of this site. I’m not happy with them simulating keypresses because if XBMC isn’t in focus (e.g. I’m editing a word document), when I press pause, it registers as CTRL-P and tries to print Sad

There are also issues with using this method when I come to using Media Player.
Is there a solution, preferably without too much programming to get a fairly simple, reasonably priced remote to control all XBMC functions like I used to be able to do with WMC?

Power on/off for my TV would be a bonus.
I don’t mind too much whether it is IR, RF, Bluetooth or a combination.
I don’t need it to have a keyboard, mouse or backlit buttons.
I think an Xbox 360 Black Remote... (it also controls power on/off, input of your TV) will work for you

Cheap and works great.. (no keyboard..) no need to set it up..

If you need something to also control XBMC, TV, Receiver etc... get a Logitech 300 Remote...
Thanks for the suggestions solamnic, I like the look of the Xbox Black Remote, I'm also looking at the older white version now as well as it has backlit keys as a bonus. I haven't seen any drawbacks yet.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that I understand that it will work 'out of the box' with XBMC (because it was made for Xbox), but do you know if it works by simulating keypresses? Will it also work Media Player correctly, or cause the same (Pause Button = Ctrl-P = Print) problem when MS Word is in focus?

Edit: From my slightly confused research, I think the Xbox Black Remote will take control of the volume away from Windows in favour of the TV Volume control - if I program it to turn my TV on/off. Can anyone confirm or refute this please?

So maybe the Logitech 300 is the way to go, but quite a few people seem to think its much better to go for a 600 or 650 for ease of set-up, use and additional functions. I must say I think I'm getting a bit bogged down by information overload. I'll have to make a decision soon or I'll keep going round in circles.

I don't mind paying a bit more for a better product that does everything I need i.e. 1. control XBMC, 2. basic media functions within Win7, play, pause, prev, next, sleep/wake, mute, volume and 3. turn my TV on/off
If it's easier to set up and I get a few extra functions then that's worth a few extra £ too

I think it's only becoming a slight headache because I know that getting the wrong remote will drive me crazy, if I get the right one 1st time I'll probably stick with it for years.
Thanks for your advice, if anyone else has relevant info - please post. Even small snippets of information can make a big difference and hopefully help others too.
All logitech remotes are great...when are set up right... Smile

"Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that I understand that it will work 'out of the box' with XBMC (because it was made for Xbox), but do you know if it works by simulating keypresses? Will it also work Media Player correctly, or cause the same (Pause Button = Ctrl-P = Print) problem when MS Word is in focus?"

Cant answer on that sorry..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Control for XBMC, WMC & TV.0