First Time HTPC/NAS Build
Hey guys, first timer on here. I've built a couple gaming PC systems but first time trying to build a HTPC/NAS system. After looking at a couple guidelines, this is what I got: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qYWT. Just wanting to get some opinions on the system - will it work well as both a HTPC and NAS? As well as recommendations on what kind of OS I should run and what application to support the NAS side of the system. Thanks!

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.73 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus F2A85-M PRO Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: PNY XLR8 PRO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML04B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: FSP Group 300W 80+ Certified Micro ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-R8 PWM 31.4 CFM 80mm Fan ($12.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $584.63
Since you want to use it as a NAS as well, you may want to look into another case. If you install an optical drive you've already maxed out your drives. If you go without optical then you only have room for one more 3.5 drive if you need to expand your storage. Otherwise it's a great case.
I might also suggest a non K version of the AMD A6 to save on the heat and energy. The K's are 100W processors and the non K are 65W. I made that mistake and had to do a little more work to keep it cool and quiet (although I'm using an A10 and the stock heatsink couldn't keep up.)
Others may tell you differently but I like Windows 8.1 for my NAS/HTPC combo. All my devices connect to it without issue and the start menu it's easy to navigate with a remote.
Otherwise it looked like decent setup.

EDIT: I misspoke about the thermal ratings. The K and non K follows the wattage in the A8 and A10 processors, but does not follow trend in the A6 series. The A6-6400K is a 65W processor. Sorry about the confusion.
(2014-04-13, 20:44)LazerBlue Wrote: Since you want to use it as a NAS as well, you may want to look into another case. If you install an optical drive you've already maxed out your drives. If you go without optical then you only have room for one more 3.5 drive if you need to expand your storage. Otherwise it's a great case.
I might also suggest a non K version of the AMD A6 to save on the heat and energy. The K's are 100W processors and the non K are 65W. I made that mistake and had to do a little more work to keep it cool and quiet (although I'm using an A10 and the stock heatsink couldn't keep up.)
Others may tell you differently but I like Windows 8.1 for my NAS/HTPC combo. All my devices connect to it without issue and the start menu it's easy to navigate with a remote.
Otherwise it looked like decent setup.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know about that with the AMD processors. As far as the case goes, I was thinking the exact same thing. But, the reason I went with that size is because of where I'm putting it. The height can't exceed 6 inches. I figured if I did have to ever expand, I'll either go external or take out the optical drive. 4GB should be good for now though for me.

Edit: Nevermind about my case costing less. I just saw Amazon. Also, I just noticed you're planning to use the same board as me. That's cool, but still consider getting a mini-ITX.
Also, you say that you want this case because it fits well where you'd like to put it. You can still get it but don't use it to store your data. Put your boot drive on it and there make a NAS elsewhere for the HTPC to stream the data from through your home network. This way, you have future options to expand storage, your HTPC isn't cluttered and has good airflow and you can keep your optical drive in the HTPC.

There are plenty of advantages to making your NAS separate form your HTPC but again, this decision relies on how much data you plan to house.

The only reason I went for a NAS/HTPC combo is because I didn't want to spend money on a separate NAS, but now that I realize my storage needs will soon force me to do so, I have no choice and will make a dedicated NAS build.
There's also some pictures on this thread illustrating how tight it would be to put a 3.5" HDD on that bracket with a Micro-ATX motherboard.
(2014-04-13, 17:04)jmcf22 Wrote: Hey guys, first timer on here. I've built a couple gaming PC systems but first time trying to build a HTPC/NAS system. After looking at a couple guidelines, this is what I got: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qYWT. Just wanting to get some opinions on the system - will it work well as both a HTPC and NAS? As well as recommendations on what kind of OS I should run and what application to support the NAS side of the system. Thanks!

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.73 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus F2A85-M PRO Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: PNY XLR8 PRO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML04B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: FSP Group 300W 80+ Certified Micro ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $584.63

This could always be an option http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.ph...93&area=en

Not as nice as the one you picked I'll admit, but it gives you more options for storage. If you're going to keep it in such a small space then you need to make sure that there's good space for ventilation.

This is similar to your choice and with a more elegant design than the first one I linked to. http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-c37/

Depending on how much you can afford, a home rolled NAS is always a better solution for storage. Use any spare PC parts etc

Edit: I don't know much about AMD, but it seems you have a nice build here Smile Something like this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166791

What kind of TV stand/furniture will this be in? Any pics or description? What kind of material (would, glass, metal etc)?
I updated my post above the reflect something I realized after. Sorry about the confusion.

(2014-04-13, 20:44)LazerBlue Wrote: EDIT: I misspoke about the thermal ratings. The K and non K follows the wattage in the A8 and A10 processors, but does not follow trend in the A6 series. The A6-6400K is a 65W processor. Sorry about the confusion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Time HTPC/NAS Build0