Bug NAS Shares with Capital Letters won't play using ServerWMC
Just set-up my fifth and sixth OpenELEC/ServerWMC set-up and found a bug.

I set-up a folder on a Netgear ReadyNAS as a watched folder for WMC. If the folder is named:

\\192.168.1.50\MCTV

then when I try to watch content on it, it won't play.

I noticed that ServerWMC shows that the shared folder name is:

\\192.168.1.50\mctv

and noticed that MCTV was in lower case.

I also saw this error message in the log:

ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [smb://username:[email protected]/video/mctv/[filename]

I noticed that the error message showed the sharename "MCTV" as "mctv"

So, when I changed the sharename to:

\\192.168.1.50\mctv

everything worked fine.

In Windows, share names are not case sensitive, but in Linux, it is. It appears that ServerWMC is not preserving the case, which seems like a bug to me.

The work-around for now is to name all network shares in all lower case.
Good catch. I cannot find this bug in our code, i.e. the case we find is getting preserved as far as I can tell. swmc gets the watched folder list from the registry, which in turn gets its values from wmc. How did you add the watched folders to wmc? Did you add them inside of wmc or add them directly to the registry? I am thinking maybe wmc did the case conversion (since it never assumes it will be talking to linux machines).
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I entered the watched folder in the Windows Media Center GUI. I just double checked and I did enter it in capital letters in WMC, and it is showing in caps in WMC. However, in ServerWMC, it appears in all lower case. I renamed the share to all lower case and all works.

I've updated my walk-through guide to indicate that NAS shares should be all lower case, and have added that there should be no spaces as well (although I don't actually know whether spaces will present a problem).

(2014-04-13, 20:38)krustyreturns Wrote: Good catch. I cannot find this bug in our code, i.e. the case we find is getting preserved as far as I can tell. swmc gets the watched folder list from the registry, which in turn gets its values from wmc. How did you add the watched folders to wmc? Did you add them inside of wmc or add them directly to the registry? I am thinking maybe wmc did the case conversion (since it never assumes it will be talking to linux machines).
I can't reproduce it. I just did the same thing and swmc shows the same case that I entered in the wmc gui. When you can, please give me more details, specifically where in serverwmc you are looking when you see the wrong path case (folders tab is where I am looking), and whether you are typing the path into wmc or finding it using its folder browser. Thanks.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I entered the share name into Windows Media Center using the add a network share manually (or words to that effect) option.
I saw the share name in ServerWMC on the Folders tab.

However, after I re-checked the share name, rebooted the machine, and then loaded ServerWMC, the share name appeared correctly, so I'm really not certain what's going on.

Please don't take any further action on this until I have some time to mess with it. At this point, I'm considering the possibility of some kind of user error, and I want to rule that out before you spend another second on this...

(2014-04-14, 04:28)krustyreturns Wrote: I can't reproduce it. I just did the same thing and swmc shows the same case that I entered in the wmc gui. When you can, please give me more details, specifically where in serverwmc you are looking when you see the wrong path case (folders tab is where I am looking), and whether you are typing the path into wmc or finding it using its folder browser. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS Shares with Capital Letters won't play using ServerWMC0