Sort Music Library by ALBUM ARTIST
Hi,

I'm not if this would be hard to implement, but it would help me A LOT if I were able to sort the Music Library by ALBUM ARTIST.

Thanks for the great job so far!
Yeah, I second this request.

Sorting the Music Library by ALBUM ARTIST would greatly improve the display of compilation albums.

Great idea.
Thanks.
Wait wait, did you just reply to yourself? Hahaha. Forget to logout and use a different account?
What behaviour are you looking for? Have u tried activating the hide compilation artists in settings?

Cheers

Wazza
Hi. Thanks for asking.

Yes, Hide compilation artists removes hundreds of "single" artists from the main list, which is good, but it also groups all the Various Artist compilation albums in a Various Artist Folder. I'm not fond of scrolling down to the bottom of my Artist list to find dozens of Compilation Albums grouped in the same folder.

Sort by Album Artist is the perfect balance for sorting Artists and Various Artists.

Sort by Album Artists would do this:

Beatles
-- White Album
-- Let it Be
Billboard Top 100
Chill Out Lounge
-- Volume 1
-- Volume 2
ColdPlay
-- Parachutes
Sort by Album artist is a very good suggestion. One thing to consider is that a lot of times that field is left blank, but I don't see why that would be a problem for those people, they simply could ignore that choice.

I just custom tag my VA albums. Typically I will have tagging such that Album Artist = Artist = "Various Artists - Blues", and so forth for genres and I have one for Soundtracks as well. Then they all are grouped in Artist View. Before I tag that way I use MP3Tag convert scripts to place the artist name in the filename as well as the comment field for future retrieval. I don't care about having single tracks from these albums show up under Artist either, and actually don't want that , so it fixes that problem as well.
Yeah that's a good idea. I do something similar, but it's a lot of fiddly work, and worst of all, it's not even a good solution.

I think my point is: Sorting by Album Artist should be an easy feature to implement, AND, it would immensely help people who want their Compilations listed individually.

Please, Developers, Please implement Sort by Album Artist. Thanks. ;-)
(2015-07-23, 22:08)BubbaLovesTv Wrote: Sort by Album Artists would do this:

Beatles
-- White Album
-- Let it Be
Billboard Top 100
Chill Out Lounge
-- Volume 1
-- Volume 2
ColdPlay
-- Parachutes

I'm not sure I follow the example - isn't 'Billboard Top 100' an album tag? why would that appear in a sort of either the 'Artist' or 'Album Artist' fields?

Cheers

Wazza
(2015-07-25, 03:32)BubbaLovesTv Wrote: t it's a lot of fiddly work, and worst of all, it's not even a good solution.

Even with album artist sort, you will still need to do the 'fiddly work' to get the output you desire. I wouldn't call what I presented a solution, but rather a workaround. In my case, it works very well and completely fills my needs, but it may not be good for you, does not mean it is not good at all. It actually takes very little effort if you do it from the start.
I just had a look at the code and it seems that you only need to deactivate the setting at the top.

Deactivate "Include artists who appear only on compilations"
(2015-07-25, 22:48)Razze Wrote: I just had a look at the code and it seems that you only need to deactivate the setting at the top.

That does not achieve what the OP desired.
(2015-07-25, 22:59)whitebelly Wrote:
(2015-07-25, 22:48)Razze Wrote: I just had a look at the code and it seems that you only need to deactivate the setting at the top.

That does not achieve what the OP desired.

Not exactly yes.

I just had a test with an custom Album Artist on some mp3s and it seems like the Artist View in Kodi only uses the Album Artist. It's only showing the artist in the track title.
I'm still not understanding this thread / problem

When you are in library mode and choose to view the library by "Artist", the database results that are going to be listed are obviously.... Artists

I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume the option in settings "Include artists who appear only on compilations"... toggles between

displaying results for the field/tag "Artist" when the option is checked; and
displaying results for the field/tag "Album Artist" when the option is un-checked

What the OP seems to be wanting if I am interpreting correctly, is to list all album artists EXCEPT for where the album artist = "Various Artists" and in those cases, use the "Album" name and mix the albums in with Artists result listing

My apologies if I have not got that correct, but personally I find the way the results are currently displayed as quite intuitive

Regards

Wazza
Kodi only sorts by Artist, regardless of the toggle. The toggle only changes whether those artists only on compilations are shown or are hidden.
(2015-07-26, 05:28)whitebelly Wrote: Kodi only sorts by Artist, regardless of the toggle. The toggle only changes whether those artists only on compilations are shown or are hidden.

As I said above. It shows the Album Artist not the Artist. So I'm not seeing what could be done here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sort Music Library by ALBUM ARTIST1