No playable files on TV
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am technical, but I am an XBMC noob. I am trying to use XBMC running on my PC to connect via DLNA to my Sony BDP-S590 and through this, to my TV. I can do this easily with Mezzmo, Servio, BubbleUPnP but I can't with XBMC. The XBMC server shows up on the TV in Music, Pictures and Video, and whichever I select I see folders. However, any folder I openI gives me the "No playable file" message.

There is content in all categories, and I can see and hear it on the PC running XBMC, but not on the TV. I have spent long hours working on this problem and reading all the wikis and I am getting nowhere. I must not have something incorrectly configured.

My setup:

Sony VAIO Pro 13 running Win 8.1 update 1 64-bit
XBMC 12.3 with the Confluence skin

Is there a resource someone can point me to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Go to System -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP - make sure all entries here are checked (activated).
Settings level (at the bottom left of settings screen) will need to be at a minimum of "Advanced" to see all available options in this settings category.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Thanks for the reply. My UPnP screen shows the following items selected:

Share videos and music libraries through UPnP
Announce library updates through UPnP
Allow control of XBMC through UPnP

Those are the only selections on that screen. I could not find the Settings level to determine if it is set to Advanced.
xbmc doesn't transcode files, so unless your bluray player supports the codec and format it won't play.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but trying to use dlna via your bluray player or TV is pointless.

DLNA is such a messed up "standard" that, no one fully supports it's just a massive waste of time. It's now just a gimmick to make the equipment seem more valuable.

Hook up the pc to the TV via HMDI or get a second xbmc box and be done with it.
Sorry to hear that. I guess I will buy an inexpensive laptop for use as a media server and connect via HDMI. While there are several software media servers that do connect via UPandP, it is the rich media content available with XBMC that I am interested in. Thank you for your time.
Before going the stes of purchasing new equipment - I suggest you try updating your XBMC to latest Gotham nightly. It may not make a difference, but its worth a shot.

Also, if HTPC use is your target with this new equipment, and you don't really need embedded screen etc - I would suggest a NUC. They come fairly cheap, and are tiny fullworthy intel computers. Can be had from perfectly good-for-HTPC Bay Trail Celeron, up to i5 (maybe even i7, not sure). They are barebone though - so Ram (1.35volt) and a drive is also needed)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Two excellent suggestions. I'll check out the latest Gotham nightly, and if that doesn't work I'll go the NUC route. Thanks for your suggestions. I wouldn't have thought about a NUC.

Cheers!
The latest Gotham build shows a more complete folder structure, but I still get the "No playable files" message. However, on eBay I found preconfigured XBMC servers based on Raspberry Pi for a very reasonable price so I think that's the way I'll go. Thanks again for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No playable files on TV0