Wiki Updates / Python HELP!
Guys,

Ive been reading the wiki in order to try and learn basic python to create some addons.
Im finding a lot of the wiki is outdated, incomplete or slightly mis-leading. (Or complete non-sense in some cases)

Im finding it really difficult to get the basics down due to inconsistencies in write-ups or versions moving on from the related documentation.

I dont think im trying to do anything particularly difficult but i have a couple of things that means its brick wall time.

1.) Can anyone show a really basic fully working example of pages and basic menu system in XBMC?
The guide here, doesnt seem to give a full working example, and i cant put the pieces together.
If im being a moron please tell me so.

2.) BeautifulSoup is great, i seemed to be making progress but then hit a wall of how to filter the exact URLs i want - i will work this bit out, but i know i cant translate these found URLs into list items.

Ive been looking for working examples, but end up lost in code.

I guess my question is should i give up addons for now and go learn python from the ground up before attempting stuff like this, or should i use google harder?
Ive been working on this for a while now, so please dont think im asking you to write my plugins for me
There's no nonsense on the wiki or outdated info. If so point out specifically where. and yes basic python knowledge is mandatory.

Look at other plugins on how they work. There's a fill repository of them.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I know it feels like nonsense at times, I felt/feel the same way whenever I have to relearn how to parse XML based on online guides.

But you go back to the pages once you have figured the issue out, and viola! They become much more understandable.

The problem with most wiki pages (anywhere) is that the people writing them know what they are talking about. And have known for years. And so no longer have the best instincts about what learners dont know. Or how to impart that knowledge. And thats natural.

Ironically, the best person to edit the wiki pages to help with understanding of learners is you, OP. As soon as you figure the topic out, you are most likely to know how to phrase things in a way that would have been most help to you, and therefore others like you in the future.
Thanks both, i wrote the OP whilst quite frustrated, so i apologize for its tone.
Karnagious, makes a lot of sense. Back to the books.

When i crack this nut, i'll be more than happy to write it up.
It would help if you could describe exactly what it is you are wanting to do.

There are hundreds of plugins and addons, and they are all different.
I will post up a few questions with code examples tomorrow night.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wiki Updates / Python HELP!0