Need help replacing my Boxee Box
I have been researching for a month on what to get now that my Boxee has died. All I need is for a device that can plug into my TV via HDMI and has the ability to scan multiple sources for content (movies, TV shows). Then display them in a nice easy to use interface that pulls back meta data from IMDB or another type of source making for a clean easy to use display of content. I like Apple TV but from what I can see is it only reads from one source that has ITunes installed on. I don't care about surfing the web or watching old content on Netflix.

Thanks for any advice....
I went through this decision last August, ended up deciding on Matricom's gbox midnight, and ended up happy enough with
it that I bought a second one. It did take me some time to learn how to reflash firmware and install linux, but there is
lots of help on the matricom forums and youtube.
Will the Gbox allow you to connect to other network drives on the network or do they have to be plugged into the USB port of the box itself ?
This one should work- New Arrival! KDLINKS HD700 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi, 7.1 HD-Audio, Youtube & Full ISO/VOB Support (Realtek 1186 3D) .....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-14, 22:06)bluray Wrote: This one should work- New Arrival! KDLINKS HD700 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi, 7.1 HD-Audio, Youtube & Full ISO/VOB Support (Realtek 1186 3D) .....

Why would anyone want to use that when it you can't run XBMC on it? o.O
(2014-04-14, 22:28)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 22:06)bluray Wrote: This one should work- New Arrival! KDLINKS HD700 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi, 7.1 HD-Audio, Youtube & Full ISO/VOB Support (Realtek 1186 3D) .....

Well would be just like getting a Boxee Box. A company with a device that promises a lot and delivers on little, and eventually drops support etc.
(2014-04-14, 22:28)Ned Scott Wrote:

In case he don't like to tinkle with XBMC, remote, software, configuration, etc. In case he want another out of the box media player similar to Boxee, which the remote and everything else works out of the box.....
Working out of the box? Boxee Box never did that :D

You guys crack me up :D
I used to own most major brands media player, and one of them is Boxee. It didn't satisfy my craving for tinkle. I don't own KDLinks, but I have tried it at a friend house. It is more superior than Boxee. I brought my Blu-ray collection in 1TB USB driver, and KDLinks can playback it as well as XBMC. KDLinks GUI is too simple for me though, and it cannot be tinkled.....
(2014-04-14, 21:56)OSUFAN Wrote: Will the Gbox allow you to connect to other network drives on the network or do they have to be plugged into the USB port of the box itself ?

To answer your question, I dont know of a xbmc version than cannot add multiple network sources. So yes the gbox will allow you to do that.You might want to look at the pivos or a raspberry pi since both of those will have better support.
(2014-04-14, 21:56)OSUFAN Wrote: Will the Gbox allow you to connect to other network drives on the network or do they have to be plugged into the USB port of the box itself ?

Sure. The Gbox sees all shared disks on the local network. I keep media content and xbmc backups on a windows desktop internal disk.
I have a G-Box MX2 (Amlogic 8726-MX box), and after installing the MX Linux build, am pretty satisfied with it. In my opinion, the device is well supported; both the Android and Linux builds get updates. However, the device isn't perfect, there are issues, for example the device currently cannot smoothly play very-high bitrate video (20mbps+ from my limited tests), but it is one of the better choices available today for a low-cost XBMC device, worth considering among other good options like the Raspberry Pi (who's main disadvantage is the slow menu navigation and slightly more complicated setup) and the Minix Neo X7, as well as the upcoming quad-core Amlogic S802 devices (such as the MINIX Neo X8 and Neo X8s). However, the best option if you are willing to pay a little more is a cheap Intel NUC.

PS, next time you'd probably want to post this kind of topic in the Hardware forum section.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help replacing my Boxee Box0