Recomendations For Android Boxes?
Question 
Hey guys,

I'm looking for Recomendations For Android Boxes to run XBMC.

I currently have an Ouya box which is not bad other then a find it a little on the slow side.
Now my friend sells MX Android boxes & I was wondering if they are any good?

Any suggestions on something similar to the MX Android box but better/faster?

Thanks
I am now looking at -

G-box Midnight MX2
or
Minix NEO-X7

Any info about these 2? Is 1 better then the other? Any known issues?
Thanks
take a look in here: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
The two devices you mentioned are probably the best Android boxes on the market today. However, neither are perfect. I cannot say which one is "better" since I only have real experience with one of the devices. Worth mentioning is that new devices with technically better hardware (the more powerful Amlogic S802 chips) will be released very soon, such as the MINIX Neo X8 and Neo X8s.

I myself have a G-Box Midnight MX2. I was initially disappointed with it, but after installing the MX Linux firmware, I am pretty satisfied. It is not without flaws however. In fact, there is no shortage of problems. For example, the box currently cannot smoothly play very high bitrate video (seems to have trouble on 20+ Mbps video from my small testing), and I also have a problem with FF/RW (wherein while rewinding or fast-forwarding the on screen video does not sync up at all with the times it is being rewinded or fforwarded to). And those two are only the problems which bother me personally. There are many other problems with this device (it is worth noting that the Linux builds for this device anecdotally have much fewer problems in comparison to the Android builds). However, for my usage I am at the end of the day pretty happy with the device I got for this price point.

So the G-Box MX2 (from my experience) and Minix Neo X7 (from what i heard) work pretty good today, but not flawlessly. The new very-soon-to-be-released Amlogic S802 will probably work better, but may suffer from early problems these type of devices tend to suffer from in the early months after they launch. So the choice is yours.

However, you may also want to reconsider whether you really want an Android box. For slightly cheaper you can get a Raspberry Pi, which is very well-supported and works very well with XBMC (the main disadvantage with the Pi is, from what I heard, menu navigation in XBMC is relatively slow). Or you can spend a little more and get a cheap Intel NUC box (such as the NUC DN2820) which will allow you to run XBMC better than any other cheap device. So the choice is yours, hope I helped.
I would second the NUC route. The DN2820FYKH (and the upcoming successors) are fullworthy intel barebone computers, and cheaper than for instance the minix neo x7. A 2 or 4 gb stick of DDR3L (1.35v) 204-pin SODIMM RAM and a USB stick to boot off, is all the extras you need for OpenELEC. Add a 2.5" SATA drive or SSD if you want more storage, boot off internal drive or run Windows etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
There should be a disclaimer for Android boxes somewhere.... So people avoid the shitty ones Tongue However much I prefer x86 hardware, there are a few Android based boxes out there.

Here's a good starting point: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=And...cific_info

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recomendations For Android Boxes?0