NAS for my needs.
(2014-04-16, 13:11)cv15xbmc Wrote: How long will a harddrive last before it shits itself? (with minimal usage) because I have built a good collection of stuff that I spent a lot of money and time on.

You can't really answer that. For example the WD Red has a MTBF (Mean time between failures) of 1'000'000 hours. This is like 100years. Personally I never had a crashed hard drive and I have had some in use for like 4 or 5 years. And also keep in mind that not every HD is the same (even if it's the same product).

That's why I recommend to use some redundancy (e.g. RAID).
What kind of router do you have?

A lot of the newer routers will let you plug in a usb hdd and have it be a "NAS".

Sure, its not the same as a real NAS, doesn't have any redundancy/etc, but its something if you want to centralize your media storage for now.

(2014-04-16, 13:11)cv15xbmc Wrote: How long will a harddrive last before it shits itself? (with minimal usage) because I have built a good collection of stuff that I spent a lot of money and time on.

Sounds like you need a backup! That hdd could die tomorrow, or in 15 years. Its a mechanical spinning device. It WILL wear out.

As others noted, using a RAID type of setup will give you redundancy (a chance to save your data if you are quick about it and don't have another drive failure), but its not a backup (a 2nd/3rd full copy).

If you need more than 4TB, and want a copy somehow or another, you'll need a device with 4 bays.
If you want to gamble**, then get a 2 bay NAS, put in another 4TB hdd, and you have 8TB, which you said will work for you. I'd suggest you just buy 2 new 4TB hdds, set them up, and keep your USB as a place to backup the really important stuff you don't want to lose

** Gamble sounds a little strong. Its not that bad, you can always rerip all those movies, or re download all those torrents, right?
to save money, I am just going to use a 2-Bay NAS with 2x3TB HD and will have most important stuff backed up on 4TB.

any 2-bay you recommend?

and Red or Green drives?
Get WD Green if you want to save money. Just curious, are you going to do a RAID 0 or use each HD as an own volume?

The time I spent on building my media collection is worth more than some little 300€. Actually I never understand how someone can save money on something like that, unless he has just a few movies.
(2014-04-16, 03:12)McButton Wrote: From what I've seen, My Cloud doesn't stream to XBMC.

This is kind of a random post in the middle of everything.

Anyway, nothing streams to XBMC. XBMC pulls media from sources. Tongue
Whatever you think your storage requirements will be.. double it. There will be a time that a 6-8TB limit was a wish for 12-16TB
(2014-04-17, 18:04)Budwyzer Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 03:12)McButton Wrote: From what I've seen, My Cloud doesn't stream to XBMC.

This is kind of a random post in the middle of everything.

Anyway, nothing streams to XBMC. XBMC pulls media from sources. Tongue

The way I interpreted that statement was that he meant the. MyCloud drive didn't have samba support, meaning that your XBMC client wouldn't be able to access the media stored from it. I know my Pogoplug's stock software supports cloud access, but not local access.

To clarify though, the MyCloud should support Samba, and one should be able to access it from XBMC with the proper configuration.
What is a NAS and how do I use it on XBMC?
(2014-04-17, 08:33)zxz0O0 Wrote: Just curious, are you going to do a RAID 0 or use each HD as an own volume?

The time I spent on building my media collection is worth more than some little 300€. Actually I never understand how someone can save money on something like that, unless he has just a few movies.

I would be using each HD as its own volume. Yeah I suppose maybe I should consider saving that money and buying a decent 4bay one later in the year, because my collection is pretty big.
(2014-04-17, 19:41)mcdady73 Wrote: What is a NAS and how do I use it on XBMC?
This is the xbmc forum, not google.
(2014-04-18, 06:20)cv15xbmc Wrote: I would be using each HD as its own volume. Yeah I suppose maybe I should consider saving that money and buying a decent 4bay one later in the year, because my collection is pretty big.

Well atleast you won't lose all your movies in case one HD dies. (Provided you split your collection on both volumes)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS for my needs.0