• 4(current)
Slingbox client and Slingbox SlingPlayer support built-into XBMC?
GeekTeligence Wrote:I know that...but you could use SlingSDK in conjunction with a custom WSDL web service written in .NET to provide methods of changing channels...then write a plugin in XBMC so you can change channels directly within the interface in conjunction with the VLC Slingplayer plugin.

And DUH...I know XBMC is for the stone-age Xbox. Wink For the 360...I'm going to develop a Media Center extension to tie into SlingSDK.

All I was trying to do was toss a little extra knowledge everyone's way... Big Grin

Unfortunately, I dont understand any of the technical terms above. But this mean that there is hope that XBMC will one day see a sling plugin? and maybe even one that works on XBMC for Max and XBMC for ATV? That would be changing the rules of the game!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I know this is a little old but the best way I found was with Eventghost and my Harmony remote.
First, I created two separate control layouts in EG. One for XBMC, then another for Slingplayer.

Then, I set up a macro under the XBMC layout to launch the app and change the key settings for SP control. In the Slingplayer app, set it to always be on top, fullscreen. Then assign the EG macro to a harmony button. Mine is labeled "Start SP".

When finished watching, I set up EG to give an 'alt +f4' plus switch back to XBMC controls. Then assigned to harmony as "Exit SP".

Hope this helps someone in the future, I banged my head on this for a while. Confused
jacksback Wrote:If you installed VLC and the Slingplayer plugins correctly you should have a new slingplayer "access module" in your VLC preferences page (Settings, Preferences). Extend the page, check the advanced options tab and enter your login and IP details for your slingbox and save. (If unsure about your slingbox IP, start the proper slingplayer software and wait for it to start streaming. Now open a DOS window (command prompt), type netstat and press Enter, search for port 5001 and note down the corresponding IP, that's your slingbox IP. **exit out of the slingplayer software before continuning because VLC will be unable to connect to the slingbox!)

Open stream to test video and audio

Press the play icon in VLC and put the following in the customize section (at the bottom of the window you are in)

Hey, im having problems with this bit - hope someone can help.

I had slingplayer running but when I searched for the IP there was nothing for port 5001. I think I may have found it on ports 4417 and 4421.

In VLC/Sling plugin I have put the ip Address in and selected port 4417. Just wondering how I play it now. I go to File/Open Network Stream and then I type in "sling:" but it does not seem to work.

For the Slingbox Ip should I add the port number from the person thats hosting it? ie: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6699

It doesn't seem to make much difference but I just want to make sure im on the right track.

Cheers
Can anyone confirm if the VLC Slingbox plugin still works with Slingboxes? Cause I thought I read somewhere that the latest Slingbox firmware now encrypt the stream to prevent 3rd party apps for being able to work with them.

If someone can confirm that the VLC Slingbox plugin still works I would consider taking on this project and integrating Slingbox support into XBMC ... assuming that they code can be converted from .NET to non-.NET.

Thanks,
Harry

EDIT: Apparently the plugin still works. I had some time and confirmed it with my own Slingbox. So I guess the questions is ... is there still interest in this, cause if there is I'm gonna give it a go and see what comes of it.
I've created a new thread about the development status of the XBMC Slingbox Client that I've started coding: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82597

I can already watch a slingbox stream ...

Harry
For all those individuals who have requested a slingbox client for XBMC over the years I just wanted to let you know that I'm working on one. There's still a good week or two (or more) of work left on it, but I can already watch a stream from my Slingbox. I can't change channels yet, but that's coming soon Smile

I've created a thread over on the development side to document my progress of this feature: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82597. If you got a development related question/issue/etc. feel free to post there, otherwise feel free to post here.

I hope there's still interest in this since now there are so many alternatives to slingboxes.

Thanks,
Harry
Very interested! Thanks for picking this project up!
I am very interested! Thank you!

If anyone is willing to volunteer access to their Slingbox for some testing that would be much appreciated.

I personally have the Slingbox Tuner so no need to volunteer if you got the same model. But if you have a different model I would love to test my patch and see if it will connect, stream, etc. (I can also change channels now Smile)

I am especially interested in the Slingbox Pro, Slingbox SOLO, and Slingbox Pro HD since these are most different from my Slingbox model.

All I need is the IP address of the box (external internet IP address) and the port number (if different from the default 5001). Also the password. I would prefer the viewer password, not the administrator password, since the viewer password has no power to change any settings, etc. and that way I can't mess anything up Wink

Feel free to PM me with these details if you're willing to offer up your box for some testing.

Thanks,
Harry
Patch is up on trac (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10464). Check out the development thread for more details (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82597).

Thanks,
Harry
I have an old Slingbox Pro (4-5 years old) I was thinking of reviving, it has an issue with the tuner however so I have to use the Cable box remote to change channels. I will hall it out of the closet and see what how it works with the addon.
Jaybarti Wrote:I have an old Slingbox Pro (4-5 years old) I was thinking of reviving, it has an issue with the tuner however so I have to use the Cable box remote to change channels. I will hall it out of the closet and see what how it works with the addon.

Much appreciated. The more testers the better.

Harry
this is awesome news man..... I know plenty of people who would donate to your cause being as how slingmedia has left slingcatcher buyers high and dry, they are going for up to 600 bucks on ebay since they stopped making them......with this patch you could watch your home tv at vacation houses, work, etc withouting paying extra cable bill!!! would love to test but i dont know anything about compiling code etc.... I have the orignal HD slingplayer if your need the ip let me know thanks
Negativecreep0 Wrote:this is awesome news man..... I know plenty of people who would donate to your cause being as how slingmedia has left slingcatcher buyers high and dry, they are going for up to 600 bucks on ebay since they stopped making them......with this patch you could watch your home tv at vacation houses, work, etc withouting paying extra cable bill!!! would love to test but i dont know anything about compiling code etc.... I have the orignal HD slingplayer if your need the ip let me know thanks

Thank you for the offer, PM sent.

Thanks,
Harry
I will have the Dish 922 Slingloaded dvr installed over the weekend and would like to help also! Just let me know.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slingbox client and Slingbox SlingPlayer support built-into XBMC?2