IP camera and XBMC delay
Maybe this subject has been discussed before but I 've searched a lot in the forums and found no definitive answer.
I'm trying to setup a baby monitor through XBMC. The IP camera I am using is a pan-tilt one and produces a h264 stream 1280x720. I have created a sdp file with the rtsp stream so that I view it through XBMC.

When viewed through a web browser in the PC the feed is instant i.e. when I move the camera left right, I get the feed almost instantly in my PC. But the sdp file in XBMC is not instant, there is a lag of 2-3 seconds until the stream is presented on screen. I've read before that this is an issue with omxplayer that needs to buffer some data for live streaming to avoid underbuffering and delayed output.

However this is not the case here. I'm trying to avoid the buffer completely. I need zero buffer so that the stream is instant. I've tried the same with raspbian and commandline omxplayer using popcornmix's documentation the commands:
--audio_fifo 0
--video_fifo 0
--audio_queue 0
--video_queue 0
--threshold 0
--live

but to no result, i.e. the stream remains with a lag of 1-2 seconds at best (sometimes 2 or 3 seconds or more). I've also tried to play at an increased speed so that the buffer never has time to catch up the stream but in omxplayer this never happens. I've had partial success using a nightly build and dvdplayer and seeking with the arrows ahead and immediately after that play at 2x speed. But I need to have dvdplayer play at this increased speed to keep seeing the stream with almost no buffering (miliseconds of lag).

Is there a way to completely disable the buffer in omxplayer or dvdplayer or any other way to achieve this in commandline omxplayer?
I need some kind of insight so that I know that this is possible or not..

Please someone?
The command line options for (command line) omxplayer are not relevant.
(command line) omxplayer is not used by xbmc. If you have a problem with command line omxplayer open a github issue.

I think the problem is that xbmc is not designed for zero-latency playback.
To be robust to network latency, you want a decent amount of data buffered, and that's what it does.

You can try submitting this a a general xbmc feature request for a low latency playback, but I'm not sure it will be accepted.
Thanks for the answer. XBMC is not designed for handling IP cameras yet some addons use xbmc even for pan-tilt (foscam addon).

If I can't do this with omxplayer then why do i get almost zero latency with dvdplayer using a nightly and in ff play? Does this happen because dvdplayer is not so buffer-proof as omxplayer?

Anyways I don't mind doing this outside xbmc. This is not a forum for commandline omxplayer, I know, I will try to find the correct place to ask

Thanks anyways.
(2014-04-15, 08:59)vprasinos Wrote: If I can't do this with omxplayer then why do i get almost zero latency with dvdplayer using a nightly and in ff play? Does this happen because dvdplayer is not so buffer-proof as omxplayer?

Running dvdplayer in ff mode with a source that doesn't support ff is just undefined behaviour that you happen to like.
It is not a feature that was defined in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IP camera and XBMC delay0