best box which will work in Australia
Hi, I'm currently in the UK but moving to Australia soon. I want the best flawless box to run xbmc which I can get delivered to the UK but will work in Australia and won't be outdated as such in the near future? I want to be able to watch UK channels in particular sport etc....

Thanks for your help
Basically any xbmc box will work over here much as in the UK. I'd go with an i3 haswell nuc as the easiest and lreatively future proof option, and whack openelec on it.

Watching UK channels - well, you'll need addons for that of course. And you might need to use a VPN/IP spoofing service for some things. But it's not hard and should work well.

For local weather, use Oz Weather. As long as you're not moving to Melbourne, you'll see a lot of sun Smile
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Excellent, I'm moving to WA so hoping for lots of sun!!! I have xbmc on my mac so know about addons, I.just want a good box to plug straight into my tv through hdmi. Thanks for your help, I'll look.into that box you mentioned
Watch out for sharks Wink
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2014-04-15, 13:07)deadlyminimee Wrote: Excellent, I'm moving to WA so hoping for lots of sun!!!

Be careful what you wish for...
(2014-04-15, 13:07)deadlyminimee Wrote: Excellent, I'm moving to WA so hoping for lots of sun!!! I have xbmc on my mac so know about addons, I.just want a good box to plug straight into my tv through hdmi. Thanks for your help, I'll look.into that box you mentioned

Off the top of my head, there are not many Xbmc platform boxes to choose from.

Nothing much is different, You can use any of the streamers that support VPN, or redirector services via DNS changes.

I'd suggest bringing the hardware you use with you. For cheaper hardware, the raspberry pi range is available, other units can be found as well.

Just set it up to work with the online content you have in the UK, then buy one of the VPN redirector app/services such as unotelly, which can set up BBC and Netflix, hulu and the other iplayer options. Set that up to the US content to test, then move the settings to the UK before you leave.

There's a huge series of threads in the whirlpool forums for Australia tech, they will help out with xbmc hardware, specific issues and ISP selection, etc.

The only real change is power plug changes, hardware can be limited to specific vendors, You can online shop using shopbot.com.au or staticice.com.au for some retail outlets and a range of prices.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best box which will work in Australia0