Colossus to watch directv component output (not PVR)
I would like to watch the component (not hdmi) output of my directv box on my Windows 8.1 PC running XBMC. I don't want "PVR" functionality, I will use my directv remote to control the box. So no channel surfing, no IR blaster, no recording, no scheduling, etc. Is this possible? I've found a lot of posts online from people who want PVR functionality, but not to simply watch the output "Live".

I think this should be possible using the Hauppauge Colossus. But does it require you to "record" the content to view it? I don't need/want anything to end up on the disk permanently for this purpose.

Ideally I would be able to select the directv input and view it full screen all from the XMBC interface.

One reason I'm doing this is that the HDMI out and in of all of my equipment (AV receiver, directv box, PC output, and projector input) is busted due to an electrical surge. So I'm trying to run all content through my PC to my projector via component or other analog cables.

The other reason I'm doing this is that I would like all user interface to be through XBMC rather than a universal remote. I'm tired of RF-to-IR repeaters, IR blasters, etc. My system is hooked into Insteon home automation products as well, so it's a complete nightmare of RF interference at the moment. If I have everything going through XBMC then I can simplify immensely.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Colossus to watch directv component output (not PVR)0