• 54(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
Hi again.

I'm running last 0724 build.

It works great, but I have 2 problems with network settings:

1) if dhcp is not enabled on router, there is no way to make a static wireless connection. I can set up ip address and subnet mask, but not the gateway address;

2) DNS section accepts only a primary nameserver.

Can you reproduce this?

Thanks in advance.
@slack3r: Presumably you're setting network details using the OpenELEC Settings addon, have you tested with official 4.0.7 to see if that build behaves the same?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi Milhouse, thank you.
(2014-07-28, 10:07)Milhouse Wrote: [...]have you tested with official 4.0.7 to see if that build behaves the same?

Yes I have and it works as expected.
(2014-07-28, 11:37)slack3r Wrote: Yes I have and it works as expected.

So there is a difference in the fields you can enter? With 4.0.7 you can enter the gateway address, but with #0724 you can't? I'm not really sure why that would be the case, unless there is a change in the Settings addon (but I can't see any commit that would account for that).

If there is a difference in the fields you are able to enter, can you post up comparative screen shots - it's possible another XBMC PR has meant that some fields are being disabled when they shouldn't be.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-07-28, 11:52)Milhouse Wrote: So there is a difference in the fields you can enter?
No, there is not difference.

Quote:With 4.0.7 you can enter the gateway address, but with #0724 you can't?
Exactly, with #0724 I can't. The field exists but when you select it does nothing.

Same thing on second and third DNS field.
(2014-07-28, 12:09)slack3r Wrote: Exactly, with #0724 I can't. The field exists but when you select it does nothing.

Same thing on second and third DNS field.

For what it's worth, I've tried setting an IPv4 "manual" address with #0727 and can't see a problem (skin: stock Confluence) so it's still not clear to me how you are getting this problem.

It could be caused by corrupt settings, try removing "/storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.openelec.settings/oe_settings.xml" when testing #0724.

Also, can you look at PR4971 which introduced what could be the problem, and perhaps only partially fixed in PR5025, to see if it's likely to be the cause? My guess is there are additional unresolved problems. Uploading before (4.0.7)/after (#0724) screenshots would help illustrate the remaining issue you are seeing.

PR4971 first appeared in build #0703, so it would be useful to see if the problem is not there in #0701b (the previous build, which doesn't have PR4971) but is there in #0703.

It's also possible that it might also be related to PR4919, which also first appeared in #0703. So again, testing with #0701b/#0703 would help narrow it down (or exclude these PRs).
(2014-07-28, 07:48)delinend Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 21:14)delinend Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 20:01)Milhouse Wrote: Is this a 256MB or 512MB Pi? The default <cachemembuffersize> is now 2MB on 256MB Pis, and 20MB on 512MB Pis.

Is the FTP-buffering behaviour the same with omxplayer and dvdplayer?

Can you go back through older builds until you find a version which doesn't buffer over FTP? Do you get the same behaviour with stock builds?

It's a 512MB Pi running 1GHz.
I only use omplayer, as it only runs for all my contet.
I'll try older versions tomorow, but it's a new thing, that I was trying to play Blu-ray via FTP. Have not tryed it before. Only used FTP to playback SD, until yet.
But it look strange that the FTP protocol use 50% more CPU than the SMB.
I have allso tryed to test my FTP server localy, at I can pull 10 times more bandwith from it, than the Pi playback via FTP use. So it's not my FTP server that have a problem.

I have allso tryed to set cachemembuffering to 50MB, but no luck. Still 98-100% CPU load on Blu-ray playback.

I have just tryed Gotham (openELEC 4.0.7) and last build #0727, and both have the same issue when using the FTP protocol connector.

When I Playback Blu-ray via FTP the CPU load is 98-100% and the video stop/start each 50-60 sec.
When i Playback Blu-ray via SMB the CPU load is 50-70% and playback works fine.

It's the same CPU load with dvdplayer and omxplayer. But I see, that dvdplayer use much more memory, when I playback.

It look like there is some issue whith the FTP protocol, that takes too much CPU time.

Here my Overclock:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

Here my advancedsettings.xml :
<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
<defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
</video>

<ftp>
<remotethumbs>true</remotethumbs>
</ftp>
</advancedsettings>

Best regards

I have just tryed tested to playback a SD video via FTP vs SMB:

When I playback a SD movie via FTP protocol, the CPU load is 60-70%
When I playback a SD movie via SMB protocol, the CPU load is 30-50%

I test via the same SD video in both cases.. and the playback do not start/stop via FTP. Only if I playback a Blu-ray via FTP, then the CPU goes to 100% load.

Hmm.. The FTP protocol is normaly a more simple protocol, than the SMB. So I can't see why it takes more CPU time, to use FTP Sad

Maybe I have overlooked some settings ?!?

Best regards
@Milhouse

Thanks alot for your support.

Your trick does not solves on #0724, but it works with #0703 build!

I did:

1)
Code:
rm -fv ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.openelec.settings/oe_settings.xml

2)
Code:
rm -Rfv ~/.cache/connman/

3) reboot

Now I can configure network with static ip, gateway and all three DNS enabled.

Yes I know it: my English is not good enough... but please let me know if and how I can help you.
It works be good to know which is the last build that works.
(2014-07-28, 16:14)Milhouse Wrote: It works be good to know which is the last build that works.

K, the last working build is #071400
(2014-07-28, 19:30)slack3r Wrote:
(2014-07-28, 16:14)Milhouse Wrote: It works be good to know which is the last build that works.

K, the last working build is #071400

Unfortunately I don't recognise that build number (it could be one of two on that day).

Are you saying it works in #0714 but not #0714b? Both these builds include PR5025.

Or it works in #0714b, and not #0715b (the next build after #0714b) or later? The only change between #0714b/#0715b is the addition of PR5034 which fixes a null pointer bug and highly unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

Anyway, screenshots would help visualise precisely what you are seeing - even if it's just to confirm the area of the GUI you are working in - as I'm unable to reproduce in #0727.
(2014-07-28, 22:09)Milhouse Wrote: Unfortunately I don't recognise that build number (it could be one of two on that day).

Are you saying it works in #0714 but not #0714b? Both these builds include PR5025.

I'm sorry.

I'm saying it works on build 'devel-20140714003359-r18727-g5a42541' - is this the #0714 build? Any later version doesn't work.

To reproduce:

1 - disable dhcp on your router;

2 - remove/rename ~/.cache/connman folder and reboot;

3 - trough Openelec settings connect to your access point. Enter wpa passphrase, etc;

4 - wait until connection State is 'Ready'. You should see an ip address like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and a dhcp connection type;

5 - edit your connection and change it to manual;

6 - now, try to enter a gateway ip address

(2014-07-29, 10:15)slack3r Wrote: I'm saying it works on build 'devel-20140714003359-r18727-g5a42541' - is this the #0714 build? Any later version doesn't work.

Thanks for the clarification, yes that's the original #0714 release. It's not obvious which additional PR in #0714b would be responsible for introducing this problem.

(2014-07-29, 10:15)slack3r Wrote: 1 - disable dhcp on your router;

Presumably this step is necessary, what happens if DHCP is still running on your network, can you then enter the gateway? If so that would seem very odd.

(2014-07-29, 10:15)slack3r Wrote: 3 - trough Openelec settings connect to your access point. Enter wpa passphrase, etc;
Unfortunately I don't have WiFi on my Pi but have been able to set a gateway for a wired connection.

(2014-07-29, 10:15)slack3r Wrote: 6 - now, try to enter a gateway ip address

I can get to this screen with my wired connection and build #0727. When I press ENTER on my remote in the Gateway field the IP address dialog box appears, but you're saying when you press ENTER nothing happens - no response?

At least you are able to see and select the Gateway field - the previously mentioned PRs (4919/4971/5025 etc.) would not even show you certain fields so I think it's safe to rule them out.
(2014-07-29, 10:31)Milhouse Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 10:15)slack3r Wrote: 1 - disable dhcp on your router;

Presumably this step is necessary, what happens if DHCP is still running on your network, can you then enter the gateway? If so that would seem very odd.
Yes, step 1 is mandatory.
If DHCP is running i can make a static connection, but I can not set more than one DNS server. I don't remember if i can edit gateway address (I had no reason to do it, I guess): I should test it again.

Quote:Unfortunately I don't have WiFi on my Pi but have been able to set a gateway for a wired connection.
Is there the issue? This evening I can test a wired connection.

Quote:Image
I can get to this screen with my wired connection and build #0727.
Me too on the same build.

Quote:When I press ENTER on my remote in the Gateway field the IP address dialog box appears, but you're saying when you press ENTER nothing happens - no response?
I don't know how to say it in English, but pressing Enter I'm get back to 'IPV4' item on left column. Nothing else happens.
(2014-07-29, 11:19)slack3r Wrote:
Quote:When I press ENTER on my remote in the Gateway field the IP address dialog box appears, but you're saying when you press ENTER nothing happens - no response?
I don't know how to say it in English, but pressing Enter I'm get back to 'IPV4' item on left column. Nothing else happens.

OK I've been able to reproduce in #0724, thanks for documenting the steps. Just disabling DHCP is sufficient - no need to remove ~/.cache/connmann (at least not for a wired connection) - then the Gateway field is blank when setting a Manual address, and clicking on the Gateway field doesn't pop up the IP address dialog.

My guess is that there is no problem while this field has a non-blank value, but once it becomes blank (due to the lack of initial DHCP) the problem is triggered.

#0714 is fine (the initial IP address shown in the Gateway IP address dialog is 0.0.0.0). but #0714b has the problem and now no Gateway IP dialog appears.

I wonder if PR5032 is the problem (included in #0714b but not #0714)? This PR relates to blank values. Will try and revert to test this theory.

Edit: Nope, not PR5032. Hmm...
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8