• 8(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
(2014-04-25, 01:24)da-anda Wrote: TV is switching into 1080p@50, but I'm not sure if this is correct, because XBMC is reporting the video format as 25fps (pal DVD) and 1080p@25 (which my TV is also supporting) might be the more correct resolution?

xbmc deliberately chooses the highest multiple of the video framerate, so this is expected.
I did include a patch (on newclock3) to pick the lowest multiple as it is a little cheaper to do, but there some reports of TV's not supporting 25/30 Hz properly and the patch was removed.
(2014-04-25, 12:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-04-25, 01:24)da-anda Wrote: TV is switching into 1080p@50, but I'm not sure if this is correct, because XBMC is reporting the video format as 25fps (pal DVD) and 1080p@25 (which my TV is also supporting) might be the more correct resolution?

xbmc deliberately chooses the highest multiple of the video framerate, so this is expected.
I did include a patch (on newclock3) to pick the lowest multiple as it is a little cheaper to do, but there some reports of TV's not supporting 25/30 Hz properly and the patch was removed.
So TVs are reporting they support 25/30 Hz while enumerated, but support sucks? Meh.
Btw - I manually switched GUI res to 1080p@25 and disabled refresh rate adjustment for video playback, so that DVD will play on the 25Hz refresh rate, but I think I also noticed those random jumps there (no AV sync enabled for testing). It was late and I was tired, so my eyes could have tricked me.

As for the AV syncing - which is the best mode to use for the PI or this particular case? I was trying audio clock which seemed to work fine, did only a short test though. And do you know if AV sync will only kick in if refresh rates don't match, or is this thing always on once enabled in settings?
(2014-04-25, 12:42)da-anda Wrote: As for the AV syncing - which is the best mode to use for the PI or this particular case? I was trying audio clock which seemed to work fine, did only a short test though. And do you know if AV sync will only kick in if refresh rates don't match, or is this thing always on once enabled in settings?

My understanding is that with dvdplayer, "adjust display refresh rate..." just switches to the best refresh rate.
If your file has perfect timestamps (e.g. 24fps/48kHz stream contains exactly 24 frames per second and 48000 audio samples) *and* your graphics card's video clock is synchronous to your sound card's audio clock, then everything should be good.

However neither of these conditions are generally true. You need another feedback path that detects drift in audio/video and compensates.

On dvdplayer you need to enable "sync playback to display". That gives 3 sub-options:
audio clock : The clock just jumps in software. I believe this is the same as having "sync playback to display" disabled and that will still have video judder
video clock (resample audio): For non-passthrough audio is resampled to fit in. Video should be smooth, but audio quality may be (marginally) worse. For passthrough drop/dupe occurs.
video clock (drop/dupe audio): audio frames are dropped/duplicated to fit. Video should be smooth, but audio quality may be worse

Resample is more expensive in cpu than drop/dupe but is probably less audible.

omxplayer has an additional sync scheme where it has a separate PLL for the HDMI video clock, and can maintain sync without harming audio or video.
This is only enabled when "adjust display refresh rate..." is enabled, so manually choosing 24Hz won't be as smooth as automatically switching.
This scheme is much better than the others, and everyone should enable it.

omxplayer can also support audio resampling. If "Sync playback to display" is enabled (with any sub-options) it will behave like dvdplayer in "video clock (resample audio)" mode.
This can be useful if you get audio dropouts in "adjust display refresh rate..." mode.
(2014-04-23, 18:58)FAMMAR Wrote: I got:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
Try removing
'hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1'
from your config. I've recently added it and my CEC broke afterwards, removing that line again fixed it for me.
TV powers up again if I plug in the RPi though...
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0425
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Fri Apr 25 19:18:27 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr 23 2014 00:11:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8c6eeb8ba935907264625ed86287962173a60e55 (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140425191645-r18257-gad14731

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (ad14731, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (110396e, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 043ed58, a patch to avoid hammering the GUI, which has been replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes kernel 3.14.y commits
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflict with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC gotham_rbp_backports patches in favour of sourcing these same patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default. See initial post for more details.
Build Highlights:

FIQ FSM enabled as default in kernel, plus a couple of other FIQ FSM fixes.
  1. XBMC:
    • ActiveAE: fix idling of engine due to high number of samples in sink buffers (PR4589)
    • ActiveAE: add missing lock to GetWaterLevel (PR4589)
    • load navigation sounds from user config directory (PR4590)
  2. kernel 3.14.y:
    • fiq_fsm: add missing case for fiq_fsm_tt_in_use()
    • fiq_fsm: clear hcintmsk for aborted transactions
    • fiq_fsm: enable by default
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
With #0425, my pi can't connect to the network via ethernet, with or without dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0. I upgraded from #0423, and haven't had this problem with any previous build
(2014-04-25, 23:55)edwr Wrote: With #0425, my pi can't connect to the network via ethernet, with or without dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0. I upgraded from #0423, and haven't had this problem with any previous build

Wired or wifi? No problems here with wired.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-04-25, 23:58)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-04-25, 23:55)edwr Wrote: With #0425, my pi can't connect to the network via ethernet, with or without dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0. I upgraded from #0423, and haven't had this problem with any previous build

Wired or wifi? No problems here with wired.

Wired. I'll try resetting to default

edit: Works again! Sorry for the false alarm
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0426
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Sat Apr 26 05:04:05 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr 23 2014 00:11:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8c6eeb8ba935907264625ed86287962173a60e55 (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140426044857-r18266-g36251c3

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (36251c3, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (d3ff027, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 043ed58, a patch to avoid hammering the GUI, which has been replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes kernel 3.14.y commits
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflict with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC gotham_rbp_backports patches in favour of sourcing these same patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default. See initial post for more details.
Build Highlights:

OpenELEC: WakeOnLan boot support.
XBMC: Fix "Could not connect to network server" dialog displayed by some addons, particularly SportsDevil.
  1. OpenELEC:
    • busybox (initramfs): add 'ping' and 'ether-wake' applet
    • init: added wake-on-lan script (see PR.3130)
  2. XBMC:
    • [musicdb] fix incorrect use of ComputeCRC, causing playcounts to not update.
    • [musicdb] joins against album and song artist views should be LEFT, as some songs/albums have no artist. fixes #15149
    • [gui] don't show the 'remote path not found' message on directory failure unless it's a share. closes #15091, #15133.
Milhouse

You can add additional python library "pytz"

thanks
(2014-04-26, 07:52)gogu Wrote: Milhouse

You can add additional python library "pytz"

thanks

No, sorry. Please ask the OpenELEC developers so that it has official support. Open an issue on github.
Ok, did some more tests playing DVDs, and the only way I get stutter free playback is by using omxplayer. Any AV sync setting still caused frame drops every few seconds. Tested this with a vertically scrolling text (like end titles/cast). Will use this DVD to create debug logs now
(2014-04-25, 13:28)popcornmix Wrote: omxplayer can also support audio resampling. If "Sync playback to display" is enabled (with any sub-options) it will behave like dvdplayer in "video clock (resample audio)" mode.
This can be useful if you get audio dropouts in "adjust display refresh rate..." mode.
This explains a few things I scratched my head about with non standard framerates/time stamps. Smile

@da-anda: out of curiosity with another platform, try setting settings->settings->audio output "output configuration" to best match instead of optimized.
(2014-04-24, 21:52)MrNice Wrote: build: #0424
Drops playing files. Drops could be every 5 seconds to 20 seconds with not pattern.

Can you point at an example file that does it?
These seem to play fine, as do the flac files you've linked to previously.
How can i use this WakeOnLan boot support?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8