• 48(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
New OpenELEC Helix build: #0716
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.15.5 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 16 00:27:50 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jul 15 2014 17:53:13
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version ad89e56fcfdce27003bb1c722534d117d4bebf06 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC_Helix (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140716002628-r18735-g265eb40

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (265eb40, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (c550042, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 patches
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflicts with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.15.y
  • Excludes the OpenELEC xbmc-master-newclock3 patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default. See initial post for more details.
  • Includes RPi-specific libCEC commits from mk01/libcec. See build #0527 for details. Also double-key suppression.
  • Increase scan interval of PeripBusCEC from 5000 to 60000, reducing CPU loading by about 2% (1GHz Pi) every 5 seconds (even when CEC is "disabled")
  • Includes libnfs master with directory caching and file read-ahead support
  • Enable zram with LZ4 compression as a kernel module. See guide. See post #605 for config patch.
  • Includes PR4990: Allow larger font size
  • Includes PR5034: Drop GetText usage in tinyxml
Build Highlights:

1. WARNING: This is another DEBUG build. Probably the last, as they don't seem very popular (only 2 installs of #0715b). Unfortunately, diagnosing crash bugs is nigh on impossible without a backtrace, so if there are any lingering crash bugs this would be the build to test with.
  2. NOTICE: The next build - in a couple of days - is going to drop OpenSSL in favour of LibreSSL (see PR:3370). This is a proposed OpenELEC architectural change and will impact all encrypted communication, particularly streaming (sftp/https/ftps etc.). It would be nice to have any remaining crash bugs out of the way before making this switch, so please test this last debug build.
  3. New firmware
  1. Firmware (Jul 15):
    • firmware: gpioman: Add support for configuring gpio from external blob file
    • firmware: Backport latest VCSM
    • firmware: arm_loader: Add extended command line parameters before filling in device tree. See: link
    • firmware: bplus: Support config option max_usb_current. See: link
    • firmware: bplus: Invert left/right channels for pwm audio on bplus
  2. XBMC:
    • [AE/osxsink] - fix possible device changed loop when using passthrough (PR:4975, 4 commits, 6 files changed)
    • Remove a superfluous call to RequestStreams() (PR:4334, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [addoncallbacks] check key is non-null before use (PR:5032, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [pvr] use Refresh() instead of Update() to refresh directory listing (PR:5031, 2 commits, 12 files changed)
    • fix build when HAL is enabled
    • WindowXML::LoadXML: fix checking result of CXBMCTinyXML::LoadFile()
  3. kernel 3.15.y:
    • snd-bcm2708: Add mutex, improve logging
    • Fix for ALSA driver crash
    • hid: Reduce default mouse polling interval to 60Hz
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
OpenELEC Helix build: #0716 ,#0715b ,#0714b ,#0714

error IPTVSimple PVR-addon ;

07:10:47 579.732422 T:2798208080 ERROR: PVR - Add-on 'PVR IPTV Simple Client' is using an incompatible API version. XBMC minimum API version = '1.9.1', add-on API version '1.9.0'
07:10:47 579.732666 T:2798208080 WARNING: UpdateAndInitialiseClients - failed to create add-on PVR IPTV Simple Client, status = 6
07:10:47 579.732788 T:2798208080 WARNING: UpdateAndInitialiseClients - failed to load the dll for add-on PVR IPTV Simple Client, disabling it
(2014-07-16, 02:40)Milhouse Wrote:
  1. WARNING: This is another DEBUG build. Probably the last, as they don't seem very popular (only 2 installs of #0715b). Unfortunately, diagnosing crash bugs is nigh on impossible without a backtrace, so if there are any lingering crash bugs this would be the build to test with.

For me this is indeed a bit TOO bleeding edge Wink I'm not the only one using the pi, and (regular) random crashes are a bit hard to sell over here....

I do appreciete the work, though!
Are you getting regular/random crashes? I'm not, but that's the point of these builds - to quickly identify the reason for any crashes.

Of course these builds are not meant for "production" systems, none of my builds are! PVR functionality may be temporarily broken right now due to the API bump (whoops) but everything else should be functional, and hopefully no longer crashing.

However if you are experiencing crashes but not submitting backtraces then the crashes are likely to continue in future non-debug builds, but then they'll be impossible to diagnose.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
No, I didn't try these builds, because of these warnings. I'm not afraid for some crashes, but because of these warnings I decided to skip a couple of builds.

And yes, I do understand I'm not helping the community with this mindset.

Can try to use another SD card later this evening...
Thanks!

I'm not saying this build will crash, it's now running fine for me but if it does crash then a debug build is the quickest way to determine the cause.

Recent commits have obviously introduced some instability which may still be present going forward and identifying these problems sooner than later is one of the reasons for running these tests builds.
I get the same error as Forage: It fails to update with a "Checking size: FAILED".
It seems to be easy to expand storage ('touch /storage/.please_resize_me'), but can't seem to find how to expand flash (and probably shrink the storage partiotion, because it used up all available space)
How big is your primary (FAT) partition?
Where I reported earlier that the episode playing crashes were gone with the #0714b build, it appears I was wrong. They still happen. I did, however, track the issue done to some extend.
They only happen when you start playing the episode from the details/information page, not when using the "Play with..." context menu directly on the episode and select either OMXPlayer or DVDPlayer.

The strange thing is that the exact same build did function properly yesterday. Now it shows this behaviour again (along with the constant on the fly downloading of the episode info in both cases) with only a reboot and a library scan in between. It crashes XBMC, forcing it to restart (not the RPi completely). Rebooting the RPi does not fix the issue.

I'll see if I can create a log tomorrow. If a default log won't help me out I'd be happy to try the debug build, but I so far I haven't found a way to resize /flash. Is a complete reinstall from scratch with the debug build required to achieve this? If so than it might be hard to reproduce the issue since all would be lost (settings, db, etc.).
See if you still get the crash with #0716 which includes an additional PR to avoid null-pointer crashes (seg faults).

Run xbmc.bin from the command line to see the reason for the crash:

Code:
systemctl stop xbmc
/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs

(though you may need a keyboard attached, as my USB IR remote stops working when I run XBMC this way)

If it's a null pointer problem it will say "seg fault" when xbmc.bin crashes, in which case a backtrace will be most helpful (see previous post for debugging instructions).
With Version: devel-20140701005041-r18661-g07fa4d, when I had it set to Dim, I had one occassion the other day when I couldn't make it undim, although it was functioning fine apart from that and I could navigate the menus.

I've just disabled Dim now, as I don't really need it anyway and I haven't seen it happen before (although I probably didn't use that build much as I only updated recently), so it will probably be impossible to recreate but I'll try with the debug build.
Hmm, on trying to update it said Kernel: OK, System: OK but then Size Check Failed and it booted into the previous version after 30s.
How come you've all got such tiny primary partitions, is this what the standard installer creates? Blimey. Sad

Oh well never mind back to non-debug builds with the next release.
If you installed via windisk or so probably the fat partition will only have about 128mb. Probably only a fresh install with a bigger fat partition created from scratch, or a .IMG file with the right fat partition, so it creates correctly.
@Milhouse - yes, the installer script is creating such a small partition. Mine is also too small. Already had to increase it once and thought 200 MB would be sufficient - silly me Smile
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8