OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
Mafarricos Offline
With New OpenELEC Helix build: #0727 I'm getting a stick pixel rainbow (little box that seems like the rainbow pixel startup) on top corner right in the hour numbers.
Is this a known problem?
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 14:16 by Mafarricos.)
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
(Yesterday 14:15)Mafarricos Wrote:  With New OpenELEC Helix build: #0727 I'm getting a stick pixel rainbow (little box that seems like the rainbow pixel startup) on top corner right in the hour numbers.
Is this a known problem?

under-voltage indicator. It's in the release notes of build #0724.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
find quote
Mafarricos Offline
I passed from 14 jun release to this one. I will check what you told there to see how to deactivate it. Thanks.
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
(Yesterday 11:19)slack3r Wrote:  
Quote:When I press ENTER on my remote in the Gateway field the IP address dialog box appears, but you're saying when you press ENTER nothing happens - no response?
I don't know how to say it in English, but pressing Enter I'm get back to 'IPV4' item on left column. Nothing else happens.

After much bisecting, the Gateway dialog bug is caused by PR4987, specifically [stdstring] get rid of CStdString in dialogs - somewhere in this patch is the problem, presumably the network dialog behaviour is now either a little broken, or changed (with respect to blank/null fields). It's a big patch, and as I'm not a C++ coder I won't be digging any deeper!

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 15:40 by Milhouse.)
find quote
slack3r Offline
(Yesterday 15:22)Milhouse Wrote:  After much bisecting, the Gateway dialog bug is caused by PR4987, specifically [stdstring] get rid of CStdString in dialogs - somewhere in this patch is the problem, presumably the network dialog behaviour is now either a little broken, or changed (with respect to blank/null fields). It's a big patch, and as I'm not a C++ coder I won't be digging any deeper!

Ok, thank you so.

The final question: have you the same issue with DNS dialog?
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
(Yesterday 16:31)slack3r Wrote:  Ok, thank you so.

The final question: have you the same issue with DNS dialog?

Yes, it's the same problem - when the DNS field is not blank the IP address dialog will appear, but when the field is blank the IP address dialog fails to appear.

find quote
delinend Offline
(2014-07-28 07:48)delinend Wrote:  
(2014-07-27 21:14)delinend Wrote:  
(2014-07-27 20:01)Milhouse Wrote:  Is this a 256MB or 512MB Pi? The default <cachemembuffersize> is now 2MB on 256MB Pis, and 20MB on 512MB Pis.

Is the FTP-buffering behaviour the same with omxplayer and dvdplayer?

Can you go back through older builds until you find a version which doesn't buffer over FTP? Do you get the same behaviour with stock builds?

It's a 512MB Pi running 1GHz.
I only use omplayer, as it only runs for all my contet.
I'll try older versions tomorow, but it's a new thing, that I was trying to play Blu-ray via FTP. Have not tryed it before. Only used FTP to playback SD, until yet.
But it look strange that the FTP protocol use 50% more CPU than the SMB.
I have allso tryed to test my FTP server localy, at I can pull 10 times more bandwith from it, than the Pi playback via FTP use. So it's not my FTP server that have a problem.

I have allso tryed to set cachemembuffering to 50MB, but no luck. Still 98-100% CPU load on Blu-ray playback.

I have just tryed Gotham (openELEC 4.0.7) and last build #0727, and both have the same issue when using the FTP protocol connector.

When I Playback Blu-ray via FTP the CPU load is 98-100% and the video stop/start each 50-60 sec.
When i Playback Blu-ray via SMB the CPU load is 50-70% and playback works fine.

It's the same CPU load with dvdplayer and omxplayer. But I see, that dvdplayer use much more memory, when I playback.

It look like there is some issue whith the FTP protocol, that takes too much CPU time.

Here my Overclock:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

Here my advancedsettings.xml :
<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
<defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
</video>

<ftp>
<remotethumbs>true</remotethumbs>
</ftp>
</advancedsettings>

Best regards

Anyone that have an idea, how I trace this issue down ?

Best regards.
find quote
Milhouse Online
Team-XBMC Member
(Yesterday 21:12)delinend Wrote:  Anyone that have an idea, how I trace this issue down ?

Best regards.

To be honest I've no idea. In theory FTP should be fairly efficient but clearly there's a problem with the code, at least with your particular setup. Has it always been like this? Try going back through the old builds.

As this excessive FTP loading affects both stock and custom OpenELEC builds it would seem to be a core issue and you might be better off asking in a more general thread that may attract the attention of a developer with knowledge of the FTP code.

find quote