• 82(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
(2014-09-03, 13:38)b1m1 Wrote: Any chance of a recap of what Newclock 4 offers over Newclock 3.

newclock3 and newclock4 are just names of git branches. The actual "newclock" name is historical.

newclock4 now always uses dvdplayer as the player. So no messing with advancedsettings to choose omxplayer or dvdplayer as default player.
There is an acceleration option to enable "omxplayer". This is much like omxplayer from before and is the most efficient player for hard videos (like raw Blu-Ray).
There is an acceleration option to enable "openmax". This will be dvdplayer with hardware acceleration.
With no acceleration enabled you get dvdplayer with software decode. This allows unsupported codecs (like divx3, msmpeg, sorenson spark) to be played, but only at SD resolution.

There is also an acceleration option to choose dvdplayer or omxplayer automatically. This means you normally get omxplayer, unless you are using alsa audio, or you are playing a dvd or you are playing an unsupported codec, where dvdplayer will be chosen in preference.

newclock4 has a new implementation of the dvdplayer video codec acceleration. This uses YUV buffers rather than GL textures which significantly reduces gpu memory requirments.
It also reduces sdram bandwidth and arm cpu.

newclock4 has a new renderer, rather than rendering with GL ES. This uses the higher quality image scaling that omxplayer has, and means videos look better. This affects dvdplayer (with or without acceleration).

newclock4 has a new video reference clock which improves vsync matching for smooth video (when using dvdplayer). Make sure "adjust display refresh rate..." and "sync playback to display" / "resample audio" is enabled for smoothest video.

So in summary newclock4 makes dvdplayer much more usable, reducing memory usage and cpu and improving video quality. You also shouldn't have to worry about choosing the right player - that will be automatic.
(2014-09-03, 02:14)SenorLoco Wrote: I haven't posted in the iPhone app thread yet but will shortly. It's not something I use very often so I didn't notice it until recently. Unfortunately I don't have any other platforms to test. I was just looking through changes on #0809b and noticed your comment on PR:5008 about SMS text entry not working when the virtual keyboard is open, but don't know if the 2 are related.
Well, there's this from Kodi 14.0 “Helix” alpha 3:
Quote:From this alpha release, it’s now possible to change the layout to some well of the well known ones, like QWERTY and AZERTY... Important: As an affect of this change you will notice that most of the third-party skins will now have a blank keyboard layout as they have not been updated yet.
(2014-09-03, 15:35)popcornmix Wrote: … There is an acceleration option to enable "omxplayer". This is much like omxplayer from before and is the most efficient player for hard videos (like raw Blu-Ray).

… There is an acceleration option to enable "openmax". This will be dvdplayer with hardware acceleration.

… newclock4 has a new implementation of the dvdplayer video codec acceleration.

… With no acceleration enabled you get dvdplayer with software decode. This allows unsupported codecs (like divx3, msmpeg, sorenson spark) to be played, but only at SD resolution.

… There is also an acceleration option to choose dvdplayer or omxplayer automatically. This means you normally get omxplayer, unless you are using alsa audio, or you are playing a dvd or you are playing an unsupported codec, where dvdplayer will be chosen in preference.
I am confused and have many questions.
- Is the default, in fact, dvdplayer using software decoding? Why would you not want hardware acceleration?
- If one is not worried about unsupported codecs, why would one not use dvdplayer with hardware acceleration? Otherwise, why would one not use the automatic option?

Is this change (i.e. the apparent deprecation of omxplayer) likely to be the standard for Helix?
(2014-09-03, 18:49)allan87 Wrote: - Is the default, in fact, dvdplayer using software decoding? Why would you not want hardware acceleration?
- If one is not worried about unsupported codecs, why would one not use dvdplayer with hardware acceleration? Otherwise, why would one not use the automatic option?

Is this change (i.e. the apparent deprecation of omxplayer) likely to be the standard for Helix?

Yes, I would expect Helix builds to use the code from newclock4.

All three acceleration options are enabled by default.
This means for the majority of content it will behave like omxplayer used to.
For dvds or alsa audio it will behave like dvdplayer with acceleration enabled.
For unsupported codecs, it will behave like dvdplayer without acceleration.

But all this is automatic - you don't have to know or care about what's happening under the hood.
I think your comment "newclock4 now always uses dvdplayer as the player" is what threw me off. Unless "for the majority of content it will behave like omxplayer used to" does not mean "for the majority of content, it will use omxplayer"
@Milhouse,

can you post the pastebin command line you use to strip CEC lines before posting online?

Had it in my notes but can't locate it...

Thanks

**EDIT**

Found it!
Code:
grep -v CecLogMessage /storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit

(2014-09-03, 19:03)allan87 Wrote: I think your comment "newclock4 now always uses dvdplayer as the player" is what threw me off. Unless "for the majority of content it will behave like omxplayer used to" does not mean "for the majority of content, it will use omxplayer"

To clarify, and thanks to Dom, OMXPlayer is now part of DVDPlayer. For more info, please read PR:5084.
(2014-09-03, 19:03)allan87 Wrote: I think your comment "newclock4 now always uses dvdplayer as the player" is what threw me off. Unless "for the majority of content it will behave like omxplayer used to" does not mean "for the majority of content, it will use omxplayer"

Yes. From xbmc's point of view newclock4 always uses dvdplayer for video. E.g. you can no longer context-menu and "play using omxplayer" or set omxplayer in advancedsettings.
There is no omxplayer as a player as far as xbmc knows.

However you can get the same *behaviour* as you used to get with omxplayer by enabling omxplayer acceleration when using dvdplayer.
This uses most of the same code as omxplayer used with newlock3 and will have the same performance as omxplayer had.
(2014-08-26, 14:39)h.udo Wrote: [...]

I'm also seeing something fishy with newclock4 OSD and video FPS decoupled mechanism. Behaviour goes like this:

Power on RPi >> OSD FPS stays around 30 like it does with newclock3
After a while(?) >> OSD FPS drops to 2 and stays there

After FPS drop, OSD becomes very sluggish and unresponsive. I'm seeing something like 5 secs to respond to remote control, i.e. nearly unusable.

It feels like the CPU is busy with something and can't process commands fast enough. Videos play nice and without problems.

All in all, excellent work guys!

h.udo

Finally had the time to investigate this one.

This doesn't occur with newclock3, only 4. I can't pinpoint what's causing it. It takes a few hours to show this behaviour (the debug log spans over 14h) and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it.

What I find curious is that GUI render stays at exactly 2.00FPS. No variation whatsoever.

Debug log, cleaned from CEC and PVR crap. Complete debug log is available but is >18MB.

bcmstat log with GUI at ~30FPS and 2FPS.

Thanks for all the hard work!

h.udo
Good evening. As I said in post 1086, I have problems with the experimental builds with newclock4 (the regular ones work fine). When playing a video, screen turns black and there is no sound for just a moment (in every video I see, at least twice) Here you are a debug log in case it can help (I stopped the video when it happened)
If you need more explainations or wathever please tell me.
Thanks
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=285318
(2014-09-03, 22:17)anonimo2001 Wrote: Good evening. As I said in post 1086, I have problems with the experimental builds with newclock4 (the regular ones work fine). When playing a video, screen turns black and there is no sound for just a moment (in every video I see, at least twice) Here you are a debug log in case it can help (I stopped the video when it happened)
If you need more explainations or wathever please tell me.
Thanks
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=285318

If you disable "adjust display refresh rate to match video framerate" does the problem disappear?
If you disable "omxplayer" in setting/video/acceleration does the problem disappear?
Looking at the log it looks to show it is buffering or at least unable to keep the cache full. Of course I have no idea if those timeouts are normal so I will leave it to the experts.

I do wonder if it happens on a local file though.
@popcornmix
If I disable "adjust display refresh rate to match video framerate" the problem seems to disappear (I would have to test it longer; I'll in a couple of days)
If I disable "omxplayer acceleration" the video doen't go so smooth.
In both cases, at the beggining of the video the image and sound speed up one second. I think it didn't happened in past builds.
(2014-09-02, 12:11)Milhouse Wrote:
(2014-09-02, 10:57)f1vefour Wrote: Milhouse is there a way to download the newclock4 builds with the OE Dev Update plugin?

Probably not, although that's partly why I put them in a separate folder - so that they're not installed by users thinking they're getting the "normal" build.

The only other option - assuming there is no possibility of changes to the addon to select a "normal" or "experimental" or even "debug" install, based on the sub-dirs on the server - would be to add some sort of prefix/suffix and store the experimental builds alongside the normal builds, which is messy and potentially confusing.

Edit: It's likely that newclock4 builds will become the default real soon now (maybe even from tonight), and that I'll stop creating newclock3 builds on a regular basis, so you should be able to install newclock4 builds using the addon. It would be nice if the addon supported sub-folders, as that's where I'll continue to be putting non-standard builds in the future.

(2014-09-02, 21:55)flash78 Wrote: Maybe i'm wrong, but i thought setting URL subdirectory in the addon settings does exactly what you want?!

I checked and realised the subdirectory setting was not working. I've fixed this in 3.2.5 so you can now add the subdirectory "experimental" for the Milhouse builds.
Leopold's Repository: Home of LibreELEC Dev Updater ...
Thanks, +1 Leopold
I noticed something yesterday, which may has something to do with my TV turning on in the middle of the night.

When i start my RPi with my TV off, the TV turns on automatically even though i turned this feature off in the cec settings.
Shouldn`t the TV stay turned off?
Can anyone confirm this behaviour?
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8