XBMC Gotham Standalone?
I chose to reinstalled my HTPC since I now sport a 8TB RAID0 configuration. I am on Ubuntu Server 14.04 because that was the easiest way to do a software RAID on install and I am well versed using a Unix command line. I set up SabNZBd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Webmin, Apache, and they are all working splendid together now, and I am currently copying over movies and TV shows from my old disk. This leaves me to the last and most important part XBMC. I know I can just apt-get one of the desktop environments, but I though, now that I am here in a configuration with very little overhead, why not try and make for least amount of un-need extra luggage. I mean I have run XBMC over a year on this machine and I never ever launched another GUI application if not for show. So I have been googling a bit around, and can only seem to find guides from like 2009 which are surly outdated. And I have recently learned that XBMC-Standalone is a thing, when I try to install that from the Gotham unstable (not nightly) repo it just says "Note, Selecting 'xbmc' instead of 'xbmc-standalone' I tried to run xbmc-standalone as a command, but I just get the same errors as when I try to run xbmc (which I would not expect would run but you know, its a nice place to start looking at the error messages)

I get these error messages, I am sure I just need to install a few more packages?

Quote:sigurd@Sigurd-TV:~$ xbmc --standalone
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Error: unable to open display
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: Warning: g_object_get: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion 'GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
window.show_all ()
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
sigurd@Sigurd-TV:~$
Sorry I feel like a complete noob, I just saw the minimal install script, seeing if I can make due with this Smile
see the top 2 forum threads for a init script. Alternatively, you can install lightdm and choose to autologin into the xbmc session.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Gotham Standalone?0