• 11(current)
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
(2014-05-04, 03:58)McButton Wrote: Hrmmm...I will say, mine has frozen like 5 times today. I have Aeon Nox running... Figured chromebox could handle it. I wasn't even playing vids. Just clicking around. I wounder if I can disabled stuff to make it better? I have it on Amber now. Seems 1 cpu is 100%. The other is like 12. Nox had it are like 40.... No clue.

I can say for myself that i've watched 3 movie in a row now (720p brrip release) and the Chromebox never froze on me running Ubuntu 13.10. Apart from the stutter on the right side of the screen http://m.imgur.com/o8XeQJD and the movie taking 25-30sec to load. It's been perfect ! Much cleaner image and snappy interface then the Ouya.
Yeah. My Ouya looked fine with any skin, and never lagged, it just froze on a LOT of videos. Sometimes I could watch 3 or 4 in a row. Sometimes 10 minutes.
I changed up some settings and deleted some stuff. Seems ok now. I would THINK Chromebox could handle Nox, but...who knows. I don't know a ton about how it operates and if removing items makes it faster. Seems like anything that auto updates, I'd want to remove.

Not sure what the point of having everything enabled is. Delete or disable it. Why have 12 skins enabled? Wouldn't that slow it down..a little?
(2014-05-03, 17:22)Matt Devo Wrote: [quote='Hostirad' pid='1697352' dateline='1399063129']

Quote: The next screen shows all of the messages that displayed after entering the the chromeos-install command. Once again, the system stopped for a long time after the message "Installing partition 5 to /dev/sdc." That's when I snapped the photo. But, this time the process continued to "Installing partition 3 to /dev/sdc." Another very long pause. Then the system rebooted, apparently before the OS was successfully copied to the SD card.
Second screen
Still open to suggestions.

I'd have to look and try to capture a screen shot earlier in the backup process, but mine looks a lot different at the end: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ju87nlflifpnq...192321.jpg

Wow, yes, your screen does look a lot different at the end. I do wonder what your screen looks like at the very start of the process. Mine looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66bcllyb8s8qk1o/Screen03.jpg

I did a search on the message I've been receiving, "WARNING: DOING A SLOW dd OPERATION. PLEASE FIX" and it seems that this problem may be fatal as opposed to just the inconvenience of slowness. (If so, I wish this problem would be described as a fatal error rather than a warning.) According to a discussion on Chromium, this message actually indicates a condition where the "partition we were copying to was not aligned to a certain boundary." Maybe the problem I've been having is with the quality of my SD card. I tried yet another card I had been using in my phone (a microSD inserted into an adapter) and immediately got a slew of error messages beginning with:

ERROR: cgpt add: Can't read enough: -1, not 512
ERROR: cgpt add: Can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found

I am on the verge of buying a brand-new SD card at Best Buy (SDSDUP-016G-A46), hoping it won't be a waste of $15.
(2014-05-03, 23:50)Netix Wrote: Here's a log of when I launch a movie .. don't know If that can help.. ! Took about 20-25 sec

http://pastebin.com/RQuMHX5d

Here's another one with a tv show where it's instant

http://pastebin.com/jEqC9xcE

Thank again guys !

well, the main difference I see is that the movie path is using SMB authentication and the tv path is not. I'd guess that's where the holdup is coming from

(2014-05-04, 17:46)Hostirad Wrote: Wow, yes, your screen does look a lot different at the end. I do wonder what your screen looks like at the very start of the process. Mine looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66bcllyb8s8qk1o/Screen03.jpg

I did a search on the message I've been receiving, "WARNING: DOING A SLOW dd OPERATION. PLEASE FIX" and it seems that this problem may be fatal as opposed to just the inconvenience of slowness. (If so, I wish this problem would be described as a fatal error rather than a warning.) According to a discussion on Chromium, this message actually indicates a condition where the "partition we were copying to was not aligned to a certain boundary." Maybe the problem I've been having is with the quality of my SD card. I tried yet another card I had been using in my phone (a microSD inserted into an adapter) and immediately got a slew of error messages beginning with:

ERROR: cgpt add: Can't read enough: -1, not 512
ERROR: cgpt add: Can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found

I am on the verge of buying a brand-new SD card at Best Buy (SDSDUP-016G-A46), hoping it won't be a waste of $15.

just buy a 16GB USB3 flash stick from Amazon for like $9. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7PBXU2/
Any idea how to fix that? How does the tv path work if it's not using the smb authentication
actually, I didn't look closely enough, it seems they both are using authentication. The only other difference between the two that I see is that it takes ~21s to look for external subtitles for the movie, vs 239ms for the tv show.
(2014-05-04, 20:50)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 17:46)Hostirad Wrote: [...]

just buy a 16GB USB3 flash stick from Amazon for like $9. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7PBXU2/

Thanks for the recommendation. I found myself too impatient to wait for even a 2-day Amazon Prime delivery, and ended up buying a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (80 MB/s). Worked like a charm the first time, illustrating the importance of having quality removable media. Now, that I have a copy of Chrome OS on the SD card, I think I am going to try the dual-boot OpenELEC option rather than dual-boot with Ubuntu, as I really don't want to play with Linux. And, even though in theory I could restore the system from my SD card if something went wrong, I'm too nervous to completely replace ChromeOS with OpenELEC, We'll see how this goes.
(2014-05-04, 22:20)Hostirad Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation. I found myself too impatient to wait for even a 2-day Amazon Prime delivery, and ended up buying a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (80 MB/s). Worked like a charm the first time, illustrating the importance of having quality removable media. Now, that I have a copy of Chrome OS on the SD card, I think I am going to try the dual-boot OpenELEC option rather than dual-boot with Ubuntu, as I really don't want to play with Linux. And, even though in theory I could restore the system from my SD card if something went wrong, I'm too nervous to completely replace ChromeOS with OpenELEC, We'll see how this goes.

you could restore with it, but using Google's recovery tool is probably easier.

I've blown away and restored ChromeOS a dozen times at least, it's really not a big deal.
Yeah. I was sure mine was junked. Restore is easy.
My OE is freezing up a tad. The skin doesn't seem to matter... It's only when navigating.
Maybe an OE issue. No clue. At least my vids play sweet.

------------------------------

Watching a vid tonight....freeze mode. So far it's the only one. I hope it's just the video. It froze about 8 different times. If I hit the back key to get to the menu, it unfroze, but if I cleared the menu, froze again. I had to reset the system each time. I hope this isn't a trend. Still...my Ouya would just freeze and power off all the time anyway. This is still better. I hope I don't have to upgrade further to a high end NUC. At least not right now! :S

How will I ever know how he gets out of the Temple of Doom?
Maybe a bad vid. Just watched 2 more and went fine.... fingers crossed.
(2014-05-04, 22:31)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 22:20)Hostirad Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation. I found myself too impatient to wait for even a 2-day Amazon Prime delivery, and ended up buying a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (80 MB/s). Worked like a charm the first time, illustrating the importance of having quality removable media. Now, that I have a copy of Chrome OS on the SD card, I think I am going to try the dual-boot OpenELEC option rather than dual-boot with Ubuntu, as I really don't want to play with Linux. And, even though in theory I could restore the system from my SD card if something went wrong, I'm too nervous to completely replace ChromeOS with OpenELEC, We'll see how this goes.

you could restore with it, but using Google's recovery tool is probably easier.

I've blown away and restored ChromeOS a dozen times at least, it's really not a big deal.

That's good to know, although I hope I don't end up restoring ChromeOS a dozen times. Laugh

Installing OpenELEC was an absolute breeze. Had some initial difficulties with an add-on not working, but instructions from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwT60DR0tc helped me to get it straightened out.

Next big test is to see whether the bluetooth keyboard I use with my Samsung UN50F6400 can alternate back and forth between controlling the TV and controlling the Chromebox. The whole point of this project has been to simplify my home theater by ditching my PC that still runs Windows XP (ha-ha) with its own oversized wireless keyboard for the Chromebox dedicated to XBMC (and the Chrome browser if I need it), controlled by the same compact bluetooth keyboard that controls the TV. Crossing my fingers, here I go.
(2014-05-05, 16:22)Hostirad Wrote: That's good to know, although I hope I don't end up restoring ChromeOS a dozen times. Laugh

well, the only way to ensure that these scripts and the steps in the wiki are correct is to start fresh and do things from a "clean" state just like a user would. Almost finished a new script which will automate all the device prep steps and even build the OpenELEC installer.

Quote:Installing OpenELEC was an absolute breeze. Had some initial difficulties with an add-on not working, but instructions from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwT60DR0tc helped me to get it straightened out.

Next big test is to see whether the bluetooth keyboard I use with my Samsung UN50F6400 can alternate back and forth between controlling the TV and controlling the Chromebox. The whole point of this project has been to simplify my home theater by ditching my PC that still runs Windows XP (ha-ha) with its own oversized wireless keyboard for the Chromebox dedicated to XBMC (and the Chrome browser if I need it), controlled by the same compact bluetooth keyboard that controls the TV. Crossing my fingers, here I go.

you can only have the BT device connected with either the TV or ChromeBox, switching between the two isn't exactly practical
Agree. Btooth isn't easy to move to different devices on the fly. Mine works fine, but the key presses lag a bit and it looks to disconnect and ask for a key often. I ordered a Flirc. I'll just use my TV remotes.
(2014-05-05, 17:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 16:22)Hostirad Wrote: [...]

you can only have the BT device connected with either the TV or ChromeBox, switching between the two isn't exactly practical

It's not that I want the keyboard to switch back and forth between the TV and Chromebox in one session. That would indeed be awkward and impractical. I only desire to use one wireless keyboard in my home theater system, sometimes to operate the TV and sometimes to operate the Chromebox. Currently I use my Samsung VG-KBD2000/ZA Keyboard to operate my Samsung Smart TV (because of its many extra keys specially designed to control the TV) and a separate Iomega wireless keyboard to control my Windows XP PC (because I found that managing bluetooth connections with XP was a pain). The hope is to ditch the old XP computer (and its rather large wireless keyboard) completely in favor of the Chromebox and the single Samsung bluetooth keyboard. It's bad enough to have many remotes sitting on the coffee table, much less more than one wireless keyboard.

The Samsung VG-KBD2000/ZA Keyboard is designed to support 3 different bluetooth connections. One is dedicated to the TV, and the other two to devices of your choice.
I was in fact able to assign one of the additional connections to the Chromebox and use the keyboard after choosing the keyboard in the OpenELEC bluetooth menu. Choosing the keyboard had to be done with a separately connected mouse, either wired or wireless. Which is unfortunate, since the Samsung keyboard includes a built-in mousepad that works fine after the keyboard is chosen in the OpenELEC bluetooth menu. It seems that there is no option to have OpenELEC remember the keyboard and reconnect automatically the next time. So, having an extra mouse connected and needing to select the Samsung keyboard each time is a little inconvenient, but the system does work.
I noticed that with OE. I get asked top assign a bluetooth password every time I start up. Got my Flirc tonight. We shall see if that does anything..
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC2