• 4(current)
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
(2014-04-21, 20:33)turbolx5oh Wrote: I can power mine off/on with the remote. You have to be running BIOS 25 and have WOL (Wake on LAN) turned off and the IR sensor turned on (if your NUC has an IR Sensor).

I take it you mean a NUC with built in IR receiver. Which NUC are you using? The one I am considering, P847DYE, does not have built in IR.
(2014-04-22, 19:16)SirStreamalot Wrote: I started the process as per Matt Devo's wiki, which is great. I used the paper clip and got the "white screen". It says "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" and has an orange exclamation mark. Is that the right screen? I tried CTRL-D from the wireless keyboard but it did not work. Is this the right screen? Do I need a wired keyboard? Sorry for the most basic questions but I am trying to make this happen.

Anything like this I would do with a wired keyboard.

If you don't get further - you may need to recover ChromeOS using a recovery USB stick. I believe this may help with that : https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en It refers to Chromebooks, but I believe the same is true of Chromeboxes.
Making some progress, but I do find this quite involved. I have figured out developer mode, have taken out the write protect screw, and have updated the BIOS. This seemed like the hard part when I read about it. Anyway, this is where I am right now. I have downloaded the custom build of OpenELEC. This is where I am stuck. Not sure quite how to create the installer. Sorry for being a PIA, but I am actually proud I made it this far ;-0

I am pushing onward and will let you know how I make out.

noggin - I did take your advice and grabbed a wired keyboard.
(2014-04-22, 19:24)squarecut1 Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 20:33)turbolx5oh Wrote: I can power mine off/on with the remote. You have to be running BIOS 25 and have WOL (Wake on LAN) turned off and the IR sensor turned on (if your NUC has an IR Sensor).

I take it you mean a NUC with built in IR receiver. Which NUC are you using? The one I am considering, P847DYE, does not have built in IR.
I've got an i3 34010 NUC with built in IR. I've seen several people on the Forums running the 847 and the 2820 Celeron NUCs and like them. I wanted to get the 2820 or the 847 but you just can't find them anywhere (because everyone is thinking like you are) so I had to get what I could find in stock which was the i3 version. I'm on every alert list I could get on so that I can get a 2820 when they come back in stock.
(2014-04-22, 22:38)SirStreamalot Wrote: Making some progress, but I do find this quite involved. I have figured out developer mode, have taken out the write protect screw, and have updated the BIOS. This seemed like the hard part when I read about it. Anyway, this is where I am right now. I have downloaded the custom build of OpenELEC. This is where I am stuck. Not sure quite how to create the installer. Sorry for being a PIA, but I am actually proud I made it this far ;-0

I am pushing onward and will let you know how I make out.

noggin - I did take your advice and grabbed a wired keyboard.

unzip the archive, then run create_installstick (file name is same for all platforms). Make sure when you unzip the folder name is *exactly* OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-395.6-cbox, as an older version of the zip had an issue that has since been fixed. After you create the USB installer, you boot the ChromeBox with it then follow the instructions to perform a Quick Install.

As for your keyboard issue, any wireless combo keyboard/mouse units (eg, K400) seem to not work until after the OS is loaded. I returned my K400 because of this and ended up with a K360/M310 setup.
Thanks Matt. Here is what I got when I tried to install:

********************************************************************************
* Welcome to the OpenELEC Mac OS X Livestick Creator! *
********************************************************************************

FAIL: This script *must* be run as root!

logout

[Process completed]
(2014-04-23, 01:41)SirStreamalot Wrote: Thanks Matt. Here is what I got when I tried to install:

* Welcome to the OpenELEC Mac OS X Livestick Creator! *

FAIL: This script *must* be run as root!

logout

[Process completed]

well, do what it says - run as root Smile Open a terminal, navigate to the folder, then:

Code:
sudo ./create_installstick_osx

as per the OpenELEC wiki: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...ab=Mac_OSX
If you're running a Mac did you include the "sudo" prefix in terminal and enter your password? (sudo allows you to run commands as root)
Thanks guys. I have never used this stuff before so it is slow for me. Apologies for that.

I opened a terminal and typed the command. It asked me for a password. Not sure what it wanted.
I tried to enter the password for my MacBook but it would not take any characters.

Is it possible just to d/l a stick image, or will that not work?
(2014-04-23, 02:27)SirStreamalot Wrote: Thanks guys. I have never used this stuff before so it is slow for me. Apologies for that.

I opened a terminal and typed the command. It asked me for a password. Not sure what it wanted.
I tried to enter the password for my MacBook but it would not take any characters.

Is it possible just to d/l a stick image, or will that not work?

it doesn't show the characters as you type. You probably need to enable the root/superuser account and set a password as described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14281. Then run the script and use the root password you set. OpenELEC does provide images, but they won't have the ChromeBox-specific fixes that I added, and will likely result in a boot loop after installation.
I found the Apple Mac stuff a little complicated so I used my WWII army surplus Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 and was able to create the USB stick using the .BAT file. Whew.

I plugged it into my powered off Chromebox.I power up and get a white screen that says "OS verification is OFF. Press SPACE to re-enable". The Chromebox then reboots itself and I get the normal startup with the Welcome - select language, keyboard and network (network is on). CTR-L did not seem to work during this process.

I feel like I am progressing, but need this last step. Any thoughts?

I do appreciate the help and would email you a cold lager or two if I could.
first, make sure you are using a wired USB keyboard - some wireless ones seem to have issues working during the developer boot screen.

second, have you followed all the steps under section 2.2 in the wiki?
I have a wired keyboard plugged in and it is working.

I did follow 2.2. Not sure why I get the white screen first that OS verification is OFF. Do I press the space bar for that?

It is likely just me, but this seems far harder than programming the XIOS DS. I appreciate the help Matt.
It does not help that this box does not fit the display entirely on the HDTV screen.

Unless I figure this out I blew $200...sigh
(2014-04-23, 03:56)SirStreamalot Wrote: I have a wired keyboard plugged in and it is working.

I did follow 2.2. Not sure why I get the white screen first that OS verification is OFF. Do I press the space bar for that?

It is likely just me, but this seems far harder than programming the XIOS DS. I appreciate the help Matt.
It does not help that this box does not fit the display entirely on the HDTV screen.

Unless I figure this out I blew $200...sigh

The white 'OS Verification Off' screen is the developer boot screen and is 100% normal since you are in developer mode.

Without any of the boot flags set, that screen will show for ~30 seconds, then beep and boot into ChromeOS. At any point, you can bypass the wait: either hit CTRL-D to boot into ChromeOS, or CTRL-L to boot to the legacy BIOS (what we need to install OpenELEC). If you're not able to hit either CTRL-D or CTRL-L on the boot screen to speed things along, then you need to use a different keyboard.
Thanks Matt. No luck despite several tries. I am certain the wired keyboard is working so I have no idea what the issue is. Is there anyway to make it automatically boot off the USB?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC2