• 5(current)
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
(2014-04-23, 20:33)SirStreamalot Wrote: Thanks Matt. No luck despite several tries. I am certain the wired keyboard is working so I have no idea what the issue is. Is there anyway to make it automatically boot off the USB?

so at the dev boot screen, CTRL-D works but CTRL-L doesn't?
Neither CTRL-L or CTRL-D works. That said, the wired keyboard works at all other times. How could it be a keyboard problem? My frustration level is pretty high as it seems like I am close but cannot figure it out. Life is short so I will give it another few hours and then throw in the towel if I cannot get it done. I do thank you Matt for working on this with me, but it appears that I am coming up short (my fault). I love XBMC and will watch the forums. Maybe someone else will have the same issue and I can learn from it. Thanks again.
(2014-04-24, 01:37)SirStreamalot Wrote: Neither CTRL-L or CTRL-D works. That said, the wired keyboard works at all other times. How could it be a keyboard problem? My frustration level is pretty high as it seems like I am close but cannot figure it out. Life is short so I will give it another few hours and then throw in the towel if I cannot get it done. I do thank you Matt for working on this with me, but it appears that I am coming up short (my fault). I love XBMC and will watch the forums. Maybe someone else will have the same issue and I can learn from it. Thanks again.

That's a keyboard problem -- I had the same issue with a wired Logitech compact keyboard, switched to a different one and it worked fine. Nearly drove me crazy trying to figure out why it didn't work, so I understand your frustration.

I also just realized I missed one command in the wiki (which I'll go add now), which enables CTRL-L, so even with a working keyboard you would have been stuck. Boot to ChromeOS, open a shell (CTRL-ALT-F2), login as chronos, then run:
Code:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_legacy=1

I also made a few bug fixes to my custom OpenELEC build, so I'd recommend you download that and update after you install the version already on your USB stick.

Being an early adopter, there's still a few kinks to work out in the process to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible. I'm using everyone's input here to update the wiki and hopefully make things less painful for the next round of users Smile
lol..ok Matt. You have me in test pilot mode so I put on my leather jacket, got back into the cockpit and made another run. Some progress.

I put in the command you listed above and rebooted. I hit CTRL-L and it worked!

The black screen said

SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu (and I did)

Booting from Hard Disk

It did not offer me option of USB, and it seemed to hang at that point.

Strangely, I feel a little better..we are closer...
(2014-04-24, 03:14)SirStreamalot Wrote: lol..ok Matt. You have me in test pilot mode so I put on my leather jacket, got back into the cockpit and made another run. Some progress.

I put in the command you listed above and rebooted. I hit CTRL-L and it worked!

The black screen said

SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu (and I did)

Booting from Hard Disk

It did not offer me option of USB, and it seemed to hang at that point.

Strangely, I feel a little better..we are closer...

you need to flash the updated legacy BIOS, as the stock one is broken. It's the first part of section 2.2 of the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASU...SB.2FSD.29

after you flash the updated legacy BIOS, you will be able to hit ESC, then select the USB installer stick.
I flashed it (again) and powered off/on. No difference...still showing booting from hard drive.

If I switch gears and go to a dual install could that work...may be better for me as I can run XBMC and stream live websites.
After you flashed and rebooted, did the SeaBIOS version string change? It should read: SeaBIOS (version -20140405_201740-john-lewis).

If not, something's not going correctly with the legacy firmware update.
SeaBIOS was the same so legacy update must not be working
(2014-04-24, 03:59)SirStreamalot Wrote: SeaBIOS was the same so legacy update must not be working

I had a typo in the flashrom command in the wiki, sorry =/. Fixed command below

Code:
sudo flashrom -w -i RW_LEGACY:asus-chromebox-SeaBIOS-new.bin
Still waiting for mine. NUC still seems easier. Still going to compare both whenever I can get the 2820. Just keep pushing through!
Smiling (a little). Ok that fixed the flash issue and it worked.

I then rebooted and hit CTRL-L. The black screen came up and showed the John Lewis bios.
It also gave me the choice of 1. Sandisk SSD or 2. USB drive

I selected 2.

It then said booting from Hard Disk...
Operating System error
Booting from floppy
Bootfailed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device. Retrying in 60 seconds.

It hung for a while and then the box rebooted itself

McButton - we are getting there I think.

One tip if you are not used to Chrome OS and you are using an HDTV as your monitor. In the browser url box type in

chrome://settings/display which allows you to "fit" the display to the Chromebox. When I plugged mine in the desktop/browser was too big by the screen. I finally figured out this is how you change it.

It is a slick unit for sure. You will enjoy it.
(2014-04-24, 04:36)SirStreamalot Wrote: Smiling (a little). Ok that fixed the flash issue and it worked.

I then rebooted and hit CTRL-L. The black screen came up and showed the John Lewis bios.
It also gave me the choice of 1. Sandisk SSD or 2. USB drive

I selected 2.

It then said booting from Hard Disk...
Operating System error
Booting from floppy
Bootfailed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device. Retrying in 60 seconds.

It hung for a while and then the box rebooted itself

sounds like your USB install stick wasn't created properly. I don't have a Mac handy to test it, can you find a PC to use and download / create the install stick from there?
Ok. I redid the USB and it worked. I followed the instructions as per the wiki 2.2.1 steps 1-5. I have not yet touched the firmware boot flags.

When I removed the USB stick and rebooted I got the white developer screen and then it rebooted and I got the exclamation mark screen that says "Chrome OS is missing or damaged..."

Seems we are VERY close.....
For something to keep me occupied in the meantime I decided to try and put my Chromebox back by reinstalling Chrome OS. An easy way is to go to this page and follow the instructions:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en

I have a Mac. I simply popped a USB stick into the Mac and followed instructions - which included providing the type of system (shown on the Chromebox white screen). The site downloaded the image and created a recovery stick for me...no muss no fuss. I am happy that I have confirmed that I can do this..makes the other changes less scary when you know you can revert back quickly.

We are almost there on the OpenElec install...looks like some minor issue remaining.

Kudos to Matt Devo, for his dedication and patience with newbies.
(2014-04-24, 22:47)SirStreamalot Wrote: Ok. I redid the USB and it worked. I followed the instructions as per the wiki 2.2.1 steps 1-5. I have not yet touched the firmware boot flags.

When I removed the USB stick and rebooted I got the white developer screen and then it rebooted and I got the exclamation mark screen that says "Chrome OS is missing or damaged..."

Seems we are VERY close.....

that's exactly what is supposed to happen, since you erased ChromeOS. Just use CTRL-L to boot to OpenELEC or set the firmware boot flags to make it the default.

(2014-04-24, 23:58)SirStreamalot Wrote: For something to keep me occupied in the meantime I decided to try and put my Chromebox back by reinstalling Chrome OS. An easy way is to go to this page and follow the instructions:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en

I have a Mac. I simply popped a USB stick into the Mac and followed instructions - which included providing the type of system (shown on the Chromebox white screen). The site downloaded the image and created a recovery stick for me...no muss no fuss. I am happy that I have confirmed that I can do this..makes the other changes less scary when you know you can revert back quickly.

We are almost there on the OpenElec install...looks like some minor issue remaining.

Kudos to Matt Devo, for his dedication and patience with newbies.

see above - you had it right and didn't know it Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC2