HP IR Receiver not working
Hi Guys,

I've just built a new HTPC and installed OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-3.2.4. So far so good except my HP RC6 IR receiver doesn't appear to be working properly. I believe it's supposed to work "out of the box" and it does exactly that on my Revo3700 running the 3.2.4 ion build of OpenELEC. So I know the receiver actually works. (I've tried it back in the Revo to be sure)

The receiver is powered and I get the red led lighting in response to any remote keypress, just no response from OpenELEC itself. I've tried it in multiple usb ports. My mouse and keyboard both work in the same ports as did my flash drive when I installed OE. I've also tried the standard x86 install of OE and the latest beta 3.95.5 all to no avail.

The new HTPC is a pretty standard build... Asrock B85M-ITX mobo, Intel i3-3140 CPU/Graphics, 4GB G.Skill ram (2x2GB), 60Gb Kingston SSD.

I'm set up so I can SSH into the box, I just need some help in trying to diagnose what's going on. I've already extracted a DMESG log but don't know how to interpret the content...

http://sprunge.us/AcJb

Would really appreciate some help with this one.

Many thanks.
I've been able to do some diagnosis in trying to solve this...

With the HP receiver on my Acer Revo 3700 I logged in via putty and ran the IRW command.

With each key press on my remote I got a response.

Repeating this with the receiver and remote on the new pc gives no response at all to any key press. HuhConfusedSad
Compare the outputs of dmesg when you plug it into each machine. Similarly output of lsusb.

Is the USB port on the new machine USB 3?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi nickr,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the lsusb output for the working Revo...

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Here's the output for the non working new PC...

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04f2:0402 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Genius LuxeMate i200 Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

I've tried every usb port on the new machine (USB2 & 3) and did lsusb for each. This one is from a USB2 port. They are all pretty much the same as this one. The IR receiver appears every time but never works. I didn't have the keyboard plugged into the Revo because it works with just the remote.

I also compared DMESG for both and although I don't understand most of what I'm reading, I can see the same things mentioned in both. I see the IR receiver mentioned in both... a couple of lines from each as an example...

From the Revo...
[ 3.150099] mceusb 2-2:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[ 3.150113] mceusb 2-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x1 active)

From the new PC...
[ 3.093152] mceusb 3-1:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[ 3.093156] mceusb 3-1:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

If there's something specific to look for please let me know or I can post a link to the complete file(s).

I hope this sheds some light. Thanks again for your input and advice.
Ok I am stuck now on where to go next. I am not very familiar with lirc these days, but is it set up the same on both machines?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-17, 12:32)Woftam Wrote: Hi Guys,

I've just built a new HTPC and installed OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-3.2.4. So far so good except my HP RC6 IR receiver doesn't appear to be working properly. I believe it's supposed to work "out of the box" and it does exactly that on my Revo3700 running the 3.2.4 ion build of OpenELEC. So I know the receiver actually works. (I've tried it back in the Revo to be sure)

The receiver is powered and I get the red led lighting in response to any remote keypress, just no response from OpenELEC itself. I've tried it in multiple usb ports. My mouse and keyboard both work in the same ports as did my flash drive when I installed OE. I've also tried the standard x86 install of OE and the latest beta 3.95.5 all to no avail.

The new HTPC is a pretty standard build... Asrock B85M-ITX mobo, Intel i3-3140 CPU/Graphics, 4GB G.Skill ram (2x2GB), 60Gb Kingston SSD.

I'm set up so I can SSH into the box, I just need some help in trying to diagnose what's going on. I've already extracted a DMESG log but don't know how to interpret the content...

http://sprunge.us/AcJb

Would really appreciate some help with this one.

Many thanks.

Start here at step 13 and name atleast one button.
Save the lircd.conf in the correct place.
Stop after step 22.
Reboot
Start IRW
Press the button you configured on your remote.
If It displays the button name you are good to go and complete the tutorial.

This is the best way to be sure.
(2014-04-18, 11:25)Woftam Wrote: From the new PC...
[ 3.093152] mceusb 3-1:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[ 3.093156] mceusb 3-1:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

And there's the issue - 0 sensors active. I ran into the same issue with my MCE remote on my Asus ChromeBox, which only has USB 3.0 ports. Searching led me to find that others had this issue as well with a MCE remote under linux when connected to a USB 3.0 port. Does your new PC bios have an option to run the USB 3 ports in legacy mode (or to disable xhci mode)? If so, see if that fixes the issue.

If your BIOS doesn't have that option or it doesn't work, you can try my custom OpenELEC x86_64 build (4.0 beta 5) which has a modified mceusb driver that should fix the issue. The download link is available from the ChromeBox wiki page (linked in my sig) in section 2.2. You don't need to do a clean install (but it wouldn't hurt), just a manual update (extract the 4 files from the \target folder, place in the update folder on the OE machine [which can be accessed via SMB], and reboot)
(2014-04-19, 04:38)Matt Devo Wrote: Searching led me to find that others had this issue as well with a MCE remote under linux when connected to a USB 3.0 port.

(2014-04-18, 11:25)Woftam Wrote: I've tried every usb port on the new machine (USB2 & 3) and did lsusb for each. This one is from a USB2 port.
(2014-04-19, 05:29)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 04:38)Matt Devo Wrote: Searching led me to find that others had this issue as well with a MCE remote under linux when connected to a USB 3.0 port.

(2014-04-18, 11:25)Woftam Wrote: I've tried every usb port on the new machine (USB2 & 3) and did lsusb for each. This one is from a USB2 port.

yes, but it is attached to an xhci controller, which is the root of the issue:

Code:
[    2.394252] usb 3-4: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[    2.837192] mceusb 3-4:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[    2.837196] mceusb 3-4:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)
Thanks guys for the replies.

I've only just got in from a big day out (Sleepy) so I'll check out everything tomorrow and report back.

Sounds very promising though.
Success! Big Grin

It's a bios setting.

I went back into the bios following Matt Devo's suggestion and searched high and low for anything regarding XHCI and there's nothing.

I already had USB2 support set to legacy but that hadn't helped previously.

There is one other setting called "Intel USB3.0 Mode" which was set to Smart Auto. There's no explanation of what is does or what the settings do so I disabled it just to try it out.

Bingo! That was it. Works like a charm.

So just to spell it out for anyone that might be searching a similar issue...

On an Asrock B85M-ITX motherboard, if your having USB receiver issues, go to Advanced - USB Configuration - Intel USB3.0 Mode and set it to Disabled.

Huge thanks to Matt Devo and also to FishOil and nickr for all your help.
It was Matt that cracked it. Glad you got it working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP IR Receiver not working0