Bad drive in Synology NAS
I'm posting this because I've Googled and not found a single thing anywhere. I have a 10 disk array with a Synology 1511+ and the 513 expansion module. I got a notice the other day that the array was degraded and it showed disk 1 in the main bay was bad. So, I ordered a new WD Red drive to put in. While I was taking out the old drive, the new one fell off the shelf and landed on my foot. It felt like a soft landing because I had slippers. I installed it anyways and DSM saw it. I selected to initialize it and add it to the volume. The DSM screen just showed "initializing disk" for about an hour". Previously when I had to replace a drive, it would show me a percentage to completion of parity check. I figured it was going to do it silently and I could still browse all my files so I proceed to watch some video on XBMC. I was watching something and it just froze. I came back to my PC and the window that had DSM was blank. I ran DS Finder and it found the Distation but said it was offline. I went down and physically looked and all the LED's for all 5 drives in the 1511+ were off and the network LED was flashing. After waiting for about 2 hours, I turned it off, put back in the original bad drive and was able to boot back up and I'm in the same state with a degraded volume and DSM showing that drive as bad. I've never seen the device just go offline from the network like that before but I figured it must have been because that drive I put in was bad. Does it sound like likely that, although seemingly soft, the fall probably damaged the new drive? The system is still up this morning and I can bring up DSM and browse the network and I have a new drive on the way. I noticed that the status light was flashing amber and the RAID light on the expansion 513 was off. Anyone familiar with Synology NAS's had a similar issue?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I was reading this and it sounded like an identical thing that happened to me. Then I saw the author...
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
LOL Big Grin
This is hilarious.
Plug the dropped drive into your PC and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. It should tell you if anything is bad with the drive.

I don't trust new drives and always run a full check and write zeros to drives before I add them into my NAS. It will take awhile.
NAS can fail for many reasons just like a PC. Did you even call Synology support? Your device is probably still under warranty and those guys can work miracles.

Worst case scenario you backed the NAS data up, right?
(2014-06-26, 00:20)berut Wrote: This is hilarious.

I know right? ;-)

And there's no reason to call Synology support for a bad drive. Since I posted this, I got a replacement from Newegg and it works flawlessly. I didn't plug it into anything else and write zeros because the NAS does a parity check that takes over 24 hours.

There's really no backing up a NAS with 25TB of data. I just consider the actual blu rays backups.

I have contacted Synology support before and they are great. They said they can often log in remotely and recover your data if the array goes bad.
(2014-06-26, 14:15)patseguin Wrote:
(2014-06-26, 00:20)berut Wrote: This is hilarious.

I know right? ;-)

And there's no reason to call Synology support for a bad drive. Since I posted this, I got a replacement from Newegg and it works flawlessly. I didn't plug it into anything else and write zeros because the NAS does a parity check that takes over 24 hours.

There's really no backing up a NAS with 25TB of data. I just consider the actual blu rays backups.

I have contacted Synology support before and they are great. They said they can often log in remotely and recover your data if the array goes bad.

There's normally no reason to contact support over a bad drive, however your post made it sound like your device was totally hosed.

As far as backing up, you should clarify that there's no *affordable* way to back up that much data. I back up about 12TB from my 1511+, using 3TB drives in a JBOD and another enclosure. It's totally doable, it's just not cheap.
(2014-06-25, 23:44)patseguin Wrote: I was reading this and it sounded like an identical thing that happened to me. Then I saw the author...

Rofl

(2014-06-26, 14:15)patseguin Wrote: I have contacted Synology support before and they are great.

Second that completely. I've had severe problems for over a year with my machines (multiple 1812/1813), and they stayed with me all the way. Working overtime for me, creating custom fixes to try and diagnose, log in remotely in the middle of the night: they are the best.

Eventually I switched my WD Black's for WD RE4's, and ever since I've had zero problems.

And now I am personal friends with the developers who stayed with me that year to help me Blush

(2014-06-26, 15:55)voip-ninja Wrote: As far as backing up, you should clarify that there's no *affordable* way to back up that much data. I back up about 12TB from my 1511+, using 3TB drives in a JBOD and another enclosure. It's totally doable, it's just not cheap.

True.

I back up data from one 1812 to another. Suffice it to say, that is not really 'backup' in the true sense of the word, it is replication. If the house is on fire, the data is still lost.

But try to backup all these TB's off site Sad

And I don't trust external 'clouds', not yesterday, not today, and not tomorrow. The best I can think of is laying a gigabit cable to my brother, who lives 67 km away from me. It is a nice concept, but the practicals Rofl
Yeah, I've been told backing up "makes no sense" for a home server/NAS. Well, I'd rather spend a couple of hundred extra dollars on more drives to have backups of everything than spend all the time it would take to re-rip, re-metadata, etc. everything. I probably just wouldn't do it.
(2014-06-26, 04:24)voip-ninja Wrote: NAS can fail for many reasons just like a PC. Did you even call Synology support? Your device is probably still under warranty and those guys can work miracles.

Worst case scenario you backed the NAS data up, right?

I second this, I had a hard drive fail also on my Synology DS1511+, and while rebuilding the volume on the NAS with a new drive, the device froze up which required a hard reboot. When the device came back up I had lost access to my volume and had to call Synology. Luckily, their techs were able to recover the volume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad drive in Synology NAS0