MythTV or Tvheadend for PVR backend using HD Homerun Prime
I'm sort of new to XBMC. I've got it and running nicely using xbmcbuntu (i think I'm running Frodo 12.2).

Anyhow, I've used MythTV in the past and to be frank lately I'm not in love with it anymore. All the documentation is out of date and it seems like it doesn't play very nicely with XMBC. For instance I'm using the cmyth add on currently to connect to my Myth BE and it's constantly dying on me. Every time I open up XMBC the plugin needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled to get it to start working.

I'm curious if I'll have better luck with Tvheadend.

Does anyone have any advice on these two or is there another PVR backend I should be looking at.

SCF
My understanding is that you'll be much happier if you start with Gotham if you're looking at PVR. There's been a lot of development in PVR and Gotham is much more stable.
That makes sense. I plan on trying to upgrade soon, but I wasn't sure if this is common behavior. Are you using a any particular BE for your PVR solution?

SCF
Hi, I've run both backends extensively with a dual HD Homerun. Mythtv runs much better than tvheadend once everything is setup, whereas tvheadend always gave me problems with ATSC..especially the newer releases. Mythtv just works and does not require the dvbhdhomerun which seems to cause even more problems.
I'm not using a PVR yet (other than a tivo). If channel change speed is important then tvheadend is better than Mythtv.
(2014-04-18, 23:51)TugboatBill Wrote: I'm not using a PVR yet (other than a tivo). If channel change speed is important then tvheadend is better than Mythtv.

Channel changes in gotham with mythtv are now pretty fast also, although perhaps not as quick as tvheadend.
Is there an easy way to upgrade from Frodo to Gotham. I'm currently using xbmcbuntu and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.
TVHeadend works with the non-Prime versions but not the Prime ones. The Prime requires different handling of the tuning to engage the CableCard's decryption that does not fit within the DVB spec. Effectively TVHeadend doesn't work with CableCard devices if you're using it to tune digital cable. If you have it connected to an HD antenna, you can use it.

Prime users are more or less stuck with the mythtv backend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV or Tvheadend for PVR backend using HD Homerun Prime0