How much ram for Mac Mini 1.83 CD
I have an old 1.83Ghz CD mac mini with 2GB of ram, I just put a new SSD into it, so it's currently apart.
Is it worth upgrading the memory to 4GB while I have it apart?
I'm running 10.6.8 on it.
Do I need the extra memory if I'm only using it for XBMC? Will there be any benefit from it?
If you use OpenElec you won't need it. Don't know how much memory OS X needs... Memory is cheap so if you can spare the cash, it's a smart investment,
I didn't think you could easily mount OpenElec on a mac mini??
Before I installed the new drive, XBMC would use up 85+% of my memory, now it seems at about 25%, so I guess it's mute.
Also, I did some more research, and looks like this model tops out at 2Gb, so I guess I have my own answer.
(2014-04-18, 02:20)mrmarkfr Wrote: I have an old 1.83Ghz CD mac mini with 2GB of ram, I just put a new SSD into it, so it's currently apart.
Is it worth upgrading the memory to 4GB while I have it apart?
I'm running 10.6.8 on it.
Do I need the extra memory if I'm only using it for XBMC? Will there be any benefit from it?

I have the same Mini as you and I'm running OS X 10.6.8 server on it with 3 GB of RAM, so the extra 1 GB is helpful. That model of Mini only supports 3 GB max. You have to install 4 GB but it only sees 3 GB.

If you're only going to use it for XBMC and you stay on OS X 10.6.8, 2 GB should be fine, especially since you installed an SSD, but you can never go wrong adding more RAM.

(2014-04-18, 05:38)mrmarkfr Wrote: Also, I did some more research, and looks like this model tops out at 2Gb, so I guess I have my own answer.

From OWC Mac Sales:

Quote:*Apple factory spec 2.0GB max, OWC tested to support 3.0GB RAM max. 4.0GB can be installed, but only 3.0GB will be addressed.
(2014-04-18, 05:38)mrmarkfr Wrote: I didn't think you could easily mount OpenElec on a mac mini??
Before I installed the new drive, XBMC would use up 85+% of my memory, now it seems at about 25%, so I guess it's mute.
Also, I did some more research, and looks like this model tops out at 2Gb, so I guess I have my own answer.

I haven't tried, so can't confirm. Would assume it will run fine off a USB stick or dual boot. You can take a look here http://openelec.tv/forum/66-multiboot/69...-mini-2012

Maybe that can help
2GB is plenty to run just XBMC on OS 10.6.8. I run XBMC on a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo 2007 Mac Mini with only 1GB of ram on 10.6.8.

Admittedly ram is a bit tight, I found that disabling automatic checks for for software updates freed up an additional 250MB of ram (!) so I now have about 250-300MB of ram free with XBMC actively doing stuff. I will add more ram one day but I'm in no big hurry.

If you want to run Lion or run additional background apps (browser, torrent client, etc) then 2GB would be plenty. Feel free to add more ram but from my own experience unless you want to run a lot of background apps I don't think you'll notice any difference.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Ram is fairly inexpensive so I would upgrade the ram either way.. that's just me though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How much ram for Mac Mini 1.83 CD0