I have a blank screen with mouse pointer
I just installed XBMCBuntu on a new PC.

When the OS came up, it looked like XBMCBuntu, but I was not paying too much attention.

I did go into XBMC for a bit, but there was nothing to test with because my external hard drive did not appear.

So, I got out of XBMC, and looked around in the File Explorer. There were 2 folders: XMBC and "\".

I wasn't able to find my external hard drive, so I thought I would reboot.

I discovered the Logout option there, and then I was prompted with a login screen.

On the login screen were about 4 options that were Ubuntu, XBMC, XBMCBuntu, and... ? Something else.

Anyway, I wanted to see what was on Ubuntu, so I entered the XBMC userid and entered.

Now, I have a blank, dark gray screen with no buttons, no start menu, and no icons.

I can move the mouse around, but there is nothing there to click on.

How do I get out of this?
Is your TV overscanning so the menus etc are hidden?

You should be able to SSH in and troubleshoot.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't know how to tell.

This is my first time to use a Linux OS, so I don't know what SSH is.
Move the mouse to the bottom left and keep going. Left click. Does a menu pop up?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry about that, Nick. I never got a notice that you replied.

I gave up last night and yanked the power cord out of the PC.

Later, I discovered that the version of XBMCbuntu I installed was Frodo, and this version gave me audio problems the last time I used it.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to get Frodo off of the mSATA drive and get Gotham on there.

I'm following the steps in the FAQ Install Wizard, under section 2.2:
Quote:2.2 How do I resolve any install wizard's problems?

In the event, the XBMCbuntu install wizard isn't working for you, when selecting install from the grub menu options, do the following:
  1. Boot your system with the installer thumbdrive and select the "Try Ubuntu" option. This should boot into XBMC.
  2. Click the Shutdown menu in XBMC (lower-left corner) and select "Exit"
  3. You should be presented with a log-in screen. Click "Other..." and enter xbmc as the login and select XBMCbuntu from the dropdown menu (below the Login field).
  4. Click "Login" and you will be prompted for the Password; just leave it blank.
  5. Click "Login" again and the XBMCbuntu desktop should be displayed.
  6. On the top-left corner of the desktop should be an icon to install Ubuntu. Double-click the icon and, hopefully, you'll get the installation wizard this time.
REF Link
So far, I am at Step 2. I have clicked Exit, but now the GUI appears to be frozen (no mouse movement or anything else).

Ah ha! It's back! See? I suspected it just needed some time. I wished the developers would change the mouse pointer to the Hourglass or something so I knew something was going on and the system had not stopped responding.

Unfortunately, there was no dropdown menu below the login field, so there was no way for me to select XBMCbuntu. All I could do was go straight back into XBMC.

I guess this Beta version still has some bugs in it.
step to login to the desktop:
1) enter xbmc for username
2) click the wrench icon top right, choose xbmcbuntu
3) click login

If you don't see the top menu bar, you have a overscan issue with your TV
Ha ha!

Thanks! That is exactly what was needed.

Perhaps the wiki needs to be updated with the new techniques in this release.
Go for it, wikis are for everyone to edit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I have a blank screen with mouse pointer0