MySQL - upgrade to Gotham
Hello
I happily use MySQL shared database with xbmc 12. I would like to move to Gotham, with option to eventually downgrade if it doesn't meet my needs. Let's say I will backup my current database and run Gotham. Will it upgrade my database, or fail?
How can I have two databases, old and new?
If you have a MySQL server setup correctly, and the User for the XBMC databases has the correct permissions, the DBs should be ported across to new versions automatically. The old (existing) databases aren't deleted, so all you would need to do to go back to your old setup (if required) in as far as the DBs are concerned, is to delete the newer ones.

Before migrating, I would however suggest doing a full backup with the XBMC Backup add-on to backup the rest of the XBMC settings, thumbnail cache, add-ons, and add-on settings before you do the upgrade.

To revert, uninstall XBMC, clear out any remaining files, and clean the profile folder (%Appdata%\XBMC on Windows), then install the previous version of XBMC, start it up, and install the XBMC Backup add-on from the official XBMC repository, then configure it to point to where you saved your previous backup, and do a restore.

Finally delete the newer MySQL DBs from the Gotham version, if required, from the MySQL server. HeidiSQL is a good tool for managing the MySQL server and is free.

Bear in mind that you will probably need to save your guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml files seperately from XBMC Backup, and restore these after the restore operation, by exiting XBMC then restoring those files. Personally, I make a seperate copy of ALL the xml files in the userdata folder (%AppData%/XBMC/userdata) and restore those seperately myself. Everything else I leave to XBMC Backup.
Thank you for complete reply. It works as you said, old database were migrated and works both.
I think you could add your post to xbmc wiki.
Hi All -

This is all correct, and it looks like there are no major usage changes from XBMC 12 to 13. The Beta worked well for me in all my testing.

The databases were quickly updated and copied over to the new version and new databases were created without incident.

BTW - I've updated my videos for setting up MySQL on Synology for 2014 in case anyone is looking for that =)

http://youtu.be/3PmmDtK65ks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL - upgrade to Gotham0