Problem accessing databases remotely
I am having a problem accessing my xbmc libraries remotely. I have a mysql database running on a linux mint machine which works well with other clients that are on my network. Connecting to the databases remotely (on an android phone) seems to work fine (i can browse my movies and tv shows and all the art loads) but when I try to play something I get an error stating that the file is no longer available and asks me if I want to remove it from the library.

I have all my paths as NAT IP addresses rather than host names and everything is running gotham beta 3. i use no authentication for my samba shares and the mysql user is granted all permissions for *.*.

Error log from Android phone

anyone have theirs working remotely? thanks...
Code:
10:35:41 T:2032154824    INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://192.168.2.15/Movies/Lone%20Survivor%20(2013)/Lone%20Survivor%20(2013).mkv'
                                            unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'

Nothing to do with MySQL, fix your SMB server/connection.

A quick Google on that error turns up this thread, not sure if it's relevant or not, probably not as you're using IP address - is your server awake?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I figured it wasn't mysql because I can login to mysql remotely and it has no problem displaying my libraries in xbmc. The main machine is always awake.
I can be connected to my wifi on my Android and access those libraries like it's any local client computer but if I disconnect the wifi and use my 4g connection it throws the error. Maybe because the IP address of the phone isn't on the 192.168.2.XXX subnet at that point? I dunno...
You got it. Get some sort of SSH tunnelling or vpn set up. Do not expose smb to the internet at large. Just don't.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you're doing this over the internet you definitely won't be able to access a 192.168.x.x address directly, and as nickr suggests, exposing smb to the internet is a bad idea.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
In fact you must have MySQL exposed to the internet which is also a bad bad idea.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
setup an openvpn server. works like a champ and was able to stop forwarding a bunch of ports on the router in the process. thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem accessing databases remotely0