get OUYA now or wait for OUYA next gen as XBMC box?
Hi,

There are quite a bit of rumours about the next gen of OUYA will be coming soon this year.

I recently got a chromecast stick and find it less useful that I though it would be (it won't even play H264 main profile @ 3.1!.) I am thinking to return the Chromecast and get OUYA instead. Thinking to use it mainly as a XBMC box, gaming is just something extra for me.

I hope that hooking up with USB thumb drive/HDD, it will be able to play all/most common video formats @ 720p/1080p (including RMVB, streaming from Real-Debrid, will be great if it can handle Hi10p, but not optimistic about it)

My question is whether I should wait for the next gen OUYA or I shouldn't be bothered as my main purpose not gaming but to use it as a media /streaming box? Huh

Thanks!
Wait. I was previously using an OUYA and wasn't too impressed with the performance of XBMC. My kid loves the games and emulators though. I upgraded to Amazon's Fire TV for XBMC and the difference is night and day. The Fire is now Daddy's TV box and the OUYA is hooked to a spare monitor and devoted exclusively to kids play.
Its still questionable whether OUYA will exist in the near future (at least hardware) with low adoption rates, developer support, and talks of them moving to becoming a service.

With that said I have no advice whether waiting is worthwhile for you. It wouldn't be fore me, but I am currently steering clear of the OUYA .
(2014-04-19, 17:49)ertman Wrote: Its still questionable whether OUYA will exist in the near future (at least hardware) with low adoption rates, developer support, and talks of them moving to becoming a service.

With that said I have no advice whether waiting is worthwhile for you. It wouldn't be fore me, but I am currently steering clear of the OUYA .

recently according to the ceo there will be. at around 2:20 and again 3:20 in the video she discusses it. They even discuss what you are referring too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...foxPXM#t=0

k1 or t4 unknown?

There just partnering their software for other devices to use, like say to MOJO which adopted ouya everywhere. Not much different idea I think than Xios is gonna do with there TOFU software. I believe its on the gamestick.
I have an Ouya. It plays fine some days. Other days it resets every single video or freezes. It's awful on every build of XBMC and SPMC. If you want nonsense games that probably belong on your phone, at a larger cost than they're worth, the Ouya is a perfect fit.
Seems like quite a bit of moaning here of using the OUYA as a XBMC box. Put it that way may be: I have a chromecast, be I want more capability in playing video, not just online contents, but also local ones. What is the best XBMC box that I can get on cheap. I cannot get fire tv here in the UK yet. I checked out "the little black box" but for the same amount p, seems OUYA gives a better hardware as well as community support/ecosystem.

Any suggestion guys?

Thanks.
(2014-04-19, 17:01)xiaNaix Wrote: Wait. I was previously using an OUYA and wasn't too impressed with the performance of XBMC. My kid loves the games and emulators though. I upgraded to Amazon's Fire TV for XBMC and the difference is night and day. The Fire is now Daddy's TV box and the OUYA is hooked to a spare monitor and devoted exclusively to kids play.
he did mention he wants to hook a harddrive to it
(2014-04-19, 19:26)McButton Wrote: I have an Ouya. It plays fine some days. Other days it resets every single video or freezes. It's awful on every build of XBMC and SPMC. If you want nonsense games that probably belong on your phone, at a larger cost than they're worth, the Ouya is a perfect fit.

never really had an issue with ouya or my rpi both have never frozen playing a vid locally or in a game. When either did freeze including my atv, it was always on some silly streaming addon where it happened. I like the latest firmware update for ouya pairs the ps3 remote nicely.

Can't say the same with my other android devices including my phone from time to time they have frozen randomly when doing nothing requiring a reboot or sometimes rebooting by itself. Reaches a point where you have to wonder if its android, the firmware and how it plays with the chipset. I chuck it off with android not being perfect.
Ouya has 1 usb port. Ouya freezes on native video from external hard drive. Ouya gets HOT! If you touch the box while next to the TV, your static will also reset it and/or make it freak out. Streaming seems fine. Games work fine. If you use the controller for XBMC, it shuts off every 10min, and you have to wait for it to pair again to pause video.

.....no.
(2014-04-19, 17:01)xiaNaix Wrote: Wait. I was previously using an OUYA and wasn't too impressed with the performance of XBMC. My kid loves the games and emulators though. I upgraded to Amazon's Fire TV for XBMC and the difference is night and day. The Fire is now Daddy's TV box and the OUYA is hooked to a spare monitor and devoted exclusively to kids play.

I tought there was still big problems with video acceleration on XBMC/Amazon Fire TV ?
(2014-04-19, 22:51)McButton Wrote: Ouya has 1 usb port. Ouya freezes on native video from external hard drive. Ouya gets HOT! If you touch the box while next to the TV, your static will also reset it and/or make it freak out. Streaming seems fine. Games work fine. If you use the controller for XBMC, it shuts off every 10min, and you have to wait for it to pair again to pause video.

.....no.

People are having different experiences I haven't had any heat or static I didn't know it had a fan I never noticed. But it actually has 2 usb the other is micro usb. The controller is bt and all bt has sleep mode to save battery. That is why most don't use bt for media players. I stopped using it on my rpi with a wiimote and bt dongle too. BT is never ideal for remotes. But the added touchpad on the controller makes other apps do-able under one and its good on batteries they do last a long time only on my second pair since kickstart.

I will say though that since the last update I have come to like it more they increased the time for sleep and it wakes real fast on the ps3 remote and once its paired its always paired and it sticks now which is nice. I only payed 6 bucks for ps3mote so why not. You can now prioritize wifi over bt or bt over wifi or auto. I have to try out koyiing's new test build for the added passthrough from ouya for gotham. I've been meaning to migrate to gotham.
I use Gotham now. I've factory reset it. It...works............ Just not all the time. Reset reset play 2hrs freeze reset reset play 10 min repeat.
(2014-04-20, 00:02)freddyboy Wrote: I tought there was still big problems with video acceleration on XBMC/Amazon Fire TV ?

There may be, but no more than with the OUYA. And with a better processor and double the RAM of the OUYA, the Fire TV provides quite a performance boost already. I wouldn't recommend the OUYA to anyone looking for a XBMC box at this stage of the game. There are many quad core boxes coming out now that would be better choices.
(2014-04-20, 04:45)McButton Wrote: I use Gotham now. I've factory reset it. It...works............ Just not all the time. Reset reset play 2hrs freeze reset reset play 10 min repeat.

which gotham? i am looking at giving this one a test from koying.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192081

Spmc has been running fine for me so perhaps maybe I'll wait to see what others post in that thread for there results. I did have an issue a while back where I actually was running low on free space with too many games installed, roms etc . So i moved the games to an external flash drive and have left just xbmc installed to internal and it never happened again. I read on the ouya forums freezing would happen if it ran out of space.

Ironically something similar happened on my rpi with too small of an sdcard when I first got it, and always after I scraped the library. Its funny you never realized how much space gets wasted testing out games or how big they get after they keep getting updates, plus the user data folder. It all adds up quick
(2014-04-20, 05:18)xiaNaix Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 00:02)freddyboy Wrote: I tought there was still big problems with video acceleration on XBMC/Amazon Fire TV ?

There may be, but no more than with the OUYA. And with a better processor and double the RAM of the OUYA, the Fire TV provides quite a performance boost already. I wouldn't recommend the OUYA to anyone looking for a XBMC box at this stage of the game. There are many quad core boxes coming out now that would be better choices.

The thing is, there is not much choice, in terms of hardware, in the UK that has a big enough community. OUYA got that, that's why I am interested in. Chromecast could be better in the future, but at this stage, seems like OUYA fit the bill better.

Or I could go for ROKU 3 for a little be less and hope there will be a port for XBMC soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
get OUYA now or wait for OUYA next gen as XBMC box?0