Win Gotham: stuttering of video playback via network after some minutes
Hi,

I use a Windows Home Server (WHS) to share my media using SMB, mounted on my HTPC using Gotham Beta4. I have th eproblem that 1080p/24Hz movies start to stutter after some minutes, and the play-bar is then shown in the upper right corner for a short time, and disappears instantly. This goes on until I stop (NOT Pause) the movie, and then start it again from the last position. I have the impression that there are buffering issues, because when I copy that file locally, the network speed is fast enough (greater than 60MB/s) so that playback should be no problem at all.

What can I do to fix that stuttering issue of video playback?
I had problems with SMB with the exact same setup. Switched to NFS (using hanewin server) and use the Gotham caching, no problems since.
(2014-04-20, 11:31)Metallifux Wrote: I had problems with SMB with the exact same setup. Switched to NFS (using hanewin server) and use the Gotham caching, no problems since.

What is Gotham Caching?
(2014-04-20, 11:31)Metallifux Wrote: I had problems with SMB with the exact same setup. Switched to NFS (using hanewin server) and use the Gotham caching, no problems since.

Sounds interesting, can you give some more details how to properly set it up?

Thanks a lot in advance Smile
I'm using gotham and use SMB for a couple of drives - never noticed a problem with stuttering on 1080p24 content. My network runs at 1 Gb/s with a maximum throughput of 108 MB/s.

I might try and do some more testing as I'm curious about this.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
It might be worth it to check out the network settings I posted in post #10....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-20, 20:05)Piers Wrote: I'm using gotham and use SMB for a couple of drives - never noticed a problem with stuttering on 1080p24 content. My network runs at 1 Gb/s with a maximum throughput of 108 MB/s.

I might try and do some more testing as I'm curious about this.

I've also used smb with xbmc for a number of years without any problems. Only shuttering problem I've ever experienced was due to disk thrashing on the server. I was able to fix the problem by throttling/managing my background io processes.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I'd like to use NFS on my Windows home Server, however, all the guides I found so far require a group.txt and a password.txt file from the client, in this case, XBMC. How do I get these files which are needed for Authentification?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham: stuttering of video playback via network after some minutes0