Windows or Xbmcbuntu
Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on this...

I have a acer revo 3700. Had it a couple of years and always ran xbmcbuntu on it.
My main reason for selecting xbmcbuntu at the time was that it allowed hardware accelerated decoding and my machine has a atom cpu and a NVidia ION gpu. So hardware decoding was a must if i want to watch HD smoothly.

Anyway, XBMC generally runs great on it and video plays perfectly...but ive always had some kind of issue with it. Random reboots. Something not working how i want it, if i want to install something eg IR remote, samba file sharing, i have to search for guides etc because ill be honest im a linux noob.

So my question is, is windows XBMC able to use hardware acceleration for the NVidia ION gpu (id be running win 7 Ultimate)? (I'd much rather run windows if i could, as it is what i am comfortable with and know my way around.)

Also is any advantage of staying with xbmcbuntu or xbmc windows or vice versa. Will i lose functionality in anyway ?

Im sorry for the questions, but i dont want to delete xbmcbuntu only to find out xbmc windows doesnt work well on the revo r3700 and then have the trouble of installing xbmcbuntu from scratch.

Any help and insight would really be appreciated.
I have the same machine (2 of them actually) and they are perfect on openelec, and on Ubuntu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeh dont get me wrong they work. But for example, I have installed the original xbox media remote IR dongle. Since installing i cant suspend or hibernate, just reboots.

When i start xbmc, i have to go to weather first otherwise it'll go into a reboot loop.

When installing something, samba, drivers, getting the wifi to work. Its something which takes 10 times longer than it should because im hunting for guides. Kind of getting sick of it. Openelec just doesnt do for me. Tried it and went back to xbmcbuntu.

So my question again,
1. Will xbmc run just as well on windows on the hardware i have?

2. Can i use hardware acceleration on windows (ION2 gpu) ?

Thanks
Sorry I don't know.

Your xbmcbuntu system is definitely faulty though, I get none of those problems (although I don't use suspend)

I'll try xbmc in the windows that I have only booted once and report back. You want me to try Gotham or frodo?

How much ram do you have?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-20, 01:40)skweezer Wrote: Openelec just doesnt do for me. Tried it and went back to xbmcbuntu.

whats your issue with OpenELEC? OpenELEC should work nice on this devices, if there is no hardware fault.
greetings, Stephan

I know its your baby sraue but people love or hate openelec. Some people want to endlessly fiddle and add stuff.

I must say I just auto updated to beta 6 and have seen no problems yet.
Without having the exact model of your 3700, I'd have to give you a semi qualified "yes".

I have a Revo Aspire 3610 and am running Win7 64 bit with XBMC no problem. it does accelerate video content fine, such 1080p x264 material. Windows is a bit pokey at times, but it's generally ok.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Thank you jogee.

And as for why im not a fan of openelec. Openelec is great if you want just xbmc. But adding anything to it seems like a pain. Tried it once and really couldn't get my head round it. Yeh i understand the purpose of openelec (a ready to go no nonsense xbmc appliance) but its a little to trimmed down for my needs.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated on xbmc on windows over linux or experiences with this particular hardware.

Another plus is that id be able to get silverlight content if i run on windows rather than linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows or Xbmcbuntu0