Solved Allow setting a UPnP device as the default player
Now that you can use XBMC as a UPnP control point, allowing you to let XBMC tell your TV what to play, it would be great to be able to set a UPnP device as the default player. This way you can use XBMC's library power and your TV's playing power without having to always start movies through the "Play using..." context menu.
You can set the defaultplayer by editing advancedsettings.xml. This can also be an upnp player, just type in the name as showed in the play using.... Menu.
Thanks so much JoostXBMC. That's the solution I've been looking for. It worked!

To add a bit more detail, the file advancedsettings.xml doesn't exist until you create it in the userdata folder. More info can be found at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml

I created the following advancedsettings.xml file to make XBMC send all of my music to a uPnP / DLNA / airplay receiver attached to my hifi:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<defaultplayer>LoungeHifi</defaultplayer>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

...Although this works fine, it would be great if this could be included as a menu item in XBMC's Settings. Also, I notice a bug (but I'll log this in the appropriate place) that XBMC ignores the "Play the next song automatically" setting when playing to a uPnP renderer, and just stops after one or two songs, rather than playing a whole album.
Hello guys and thank you JoostXBMC and SomeBloke for the answer. It worked too :-)

But now I have a last question. How do you control the UPNP device volume level ??
When I am changing the volume it's only for the xbmc media and not for my UPNP/DLNA device (SONY SRS-X7)

Let me know if you have this answer please.
Bye
(2014-12-21, 10:27)rohrr Wrote: But now I have a last question. How do you control the UPNP device volume level ??
Please start a new/different thread for different subjects. It reduces discussion fragmentation and increases your chance of getting help because people not interested or familiar with the main thread subject won't be looking here while they might be able to help with other subjects.
(2014-06-02, 01:04)SomeBloke Wrote: I created the following advancedsettings.xml file to make XBMC send all of my music to a uPnP / DLNA / airplay receiver attached to my hifi:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
Would you mind elaborating a bit how the setup behind your LoungeHifi looks like?
I look into several approaches, but none seems to work for this scenario.

PS: Apparantly there is a super-easy solution with pulseaudio-dlna, but that is not working on kodibuntu since it does not allow access to pulseaudio. Sad
(2015-04-13, 00:20)kboenke Wrote:
(2014-06-02, 01:04)SomeBloke Wrote: I created the following advancedsettings.xml file to make XBMC send all of my music to a uPnP / DLNA / airplay receiver attached to my hifi:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
Would you mind elaborating a bit how the setup behind your LoungeHifi looks like?
I look into several approaches, but none seems to work for this scenario.

PS: Apparantly there is a super-easy solution with pulseaudio-dlna, but that is not working on kodibuntu since it does not allow access to pulseaudio. Sad
Please tell us what does and/or does not work in your case and provide a the XML bit you added to advancedsettings.xml to achieve this.
(2015-04-13, 17:15)Forage Wrote: Please tell us what does and/or does not work in your case and provide a the XML bit you added to advancedsettings.xml to achieve this.
That's the thing - I don't know how to get this setup properly without having a Pulse-Sink available. So the configuration behind SomeBloke's LoungeHifi is what I am interested in.
(2015-04-18, 17:21)kboenke Wrote:
(2015-04-13, 17:15)Forage Wrote: Please tell us what does and/or does not work in your case and provide a the XML bit you added to advancedsettings.xml to achieve this.
That's the thing - I don't know how to get this setup properly without having a Pulse-Sink available. So the configuration behind SomeBloke's LoungeHifi is what I am interested in.
The steps in post #2 give you the name of your default device which you should use instead of LoungeHifi. Then you follow the steps from post #3 to alter the advancedsettings.xml file and set the default player to the name you got in post #2.

If that does not do the trick then please provide us with the complete content and location of your advancedsettings.xml file and the name(s) you got from the steps in post #2.
Can you setup a <fallback> to use multiple default players ? Ie if the first default player is not available then it will go to the next one in the list ? I have two TV's and wish to have 1 as my primary player and the other as my secondary player ?
I've created the advancedsettings.xml file and if I display the Play using... menu my Upnp device (in this case a Marantz M-CR603 is set as the default. However, if I try and use one of the Kodi remote apps available to play music from Kodi, nothing is being sent to the Marantz system. I know it's a DLNA enabled device and I can play music to it from Kodi if I select it from the Play using... menu. It doesn't seem to be working when setting it as the default device using the advancedsettings file though. Are there any other options that I need to set? Any ideas/sugfestions greatly appreciated. It would be really useful if I could get this working.
Thank you all for this valuable thread.
So far, I managed to stream audio files to a upnp speaker (pioneer XW-SMA4) by creating the "advancedsetting.xml" file following the instructions in this thread.
However, I only succeeded to stream audio files...
My goal is to literally output any audio produced when using kodi (including the audio produced from videos).
Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
As far as I know you can not render the audio track seperately from the video track (eg using two different renderers)

You can set UPNP as your videorenderer but you would lose the video track, which I guess you are not after.
I doubt this will ever work without writing a custom audio sink so that you can deal with AV sync issues
(2014-06-02, 01:04)SomeBloke Wrote: ...Although this works fine, it would be great if this could be included as a menu item in XBMC's Settings. Also, I notice a bug (but I'll log this in the appropriate place) that XBMC ignores the "Play the next song automatically" setting when playing to a uPnP renderer, and just stops after one or two songs, rather than playing a whole album.

This BUG is still unsolved. Playback stops after first track. Please fix it somehow!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow setting a UPnP device as the default player2