Western Digital quality
This is probably a little off topic here but it is hardware related. Mods please feel free to move this if you like.

I've seen lots of complaints by customers on various retailer websites regarding a 30% failure rate of WD Reds and Greens and refunds that take several years to process. This is outrageously high and I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer would allow such problems to go uncorrected. Just wonder if maybe this problem hasn't been over exaggerated by customers mad about new drives that are defective? Has anyone using WD drives noticed a high level of failures and very poor customer service?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
3TB greens are absolute crap. Got through 3 in a year. Each replaced by WD. I then moaned and they gave me a red one.

REDS are fricking awesome!!

Edit - just to add ref Sadboy - got 3x 2TB greens, only had one replaced. Seems 3TB greens are definitely no good for 24/7 use!

Love REDs! Can easily hit 135MB/s file transfer from RED on SATA III port to USB3 docked drive!

Using a free BLUE as OS drive on the server. Certainly not the fastest but does its job!

Although saying that, it's a 320GB partitioned into two. One partition is gone! No even registered anywhere!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Greens aren't designed to be used as NAS drives. That being said I've ran 2 greens 24x7 for about 2 years without a hiccup before replacing them with 4 reds. Those have now been running flawlessly 24x7 for more than a year and half now.

Anyway I've never had a problem with any WD drives I've owned, and I've never bothered to write a review for WD on any retailer website whatsoever. Just one empirical data point for you to consider Smile
I got 2 WD blacks, 1TB which is about 4 years old and a 500GB just over a year . Both run 24/7 and both are still going good . The 1TB can get a bit noise but hey I just turn the sound up on my amp and it's gone . I had a 320gb WD blue that ran 24/7 for 3 years but it died and was replaced by the 500gb . Once you've gone black you never go back
I have no failures on either WD Green or Red hard drives.. (and i do own about 20 of them on my NAS)... Smile

Only once i saw SMART go from 100% to 80%, (no data loss), i ve send it to WD and i got a replacement Hard drive...

So no complaints in here for WD... Smile
Thanks for the info. From the replies it seems fairly obvious that a few retail clients have been the majority of the people providing customer reviews and since their experiences were bad so were their reviews. Not many people provide reviews when there weren't any problems. Myself included.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I have 4x2TB WD Reds in a ReadyNAS device that have been going strong for over 12 months. Seagate have now joined the party with their own NAS 24/7 rated drives, and prices here in the UK see them often £5-10 cheaper than WD's Reds. Having said that, Seagate did have a bit of a nightmare period recently with their 11 series Barracudas, so pick your poison here.
I have 8 x 4TB WD greens. Oldest ones are about 2 years old and the newest one is about 2months. Have not had a single issue
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
(2014-04-21, 16:16)Cypher64 Wrote: I have 8 x 4TB WD greens. Oldest ones are about 2 years old and the newest one is about 2months. Have not had a single issue

For goodness sakes man! Go touch some wood!!!

Edit - have 4TB greens been out two years already!? Sheesh!

Edit edit - google says 4TB greens came out in September 2013!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-04-21, 16:30)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 16:16)Cypher64 Wrote: I have 8 x 4TB WD greens. Oldest ones are about 2 years old and the newest one is about 2months. Have not had a single issue

For goodness sakes man! Go touch some wood!!!

Edit - have 4TB greens been out two years already!? Sheesh!

Edit edit - google says 4TB greens came out in September 2013!

I know my memory is bad, but I don't think it's THAT bad. I'm positive that I've had some of these before Sept 2013. They all were formally external USB drives that I pulled out of their original enclosure.
The My Books have been out since 2012.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
The older My books where fitted with Caviar Blue drives up to 1TB if I'm not mistaken and the newer , slower My Cloads are fitted with green .
This link (robbed from a Mediabrowser thread) makes good reading.
(2014-04-22, 10:14)mayoman Wrote: This link (robbed from a Mediabrowser thread) makes good reading.

Superb! Backs my claims on how crap 3TB greens are and how good REDs are!

Definitely be looking at Hitachi/Toshiba drives now too. Smile

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Western Digital quality0