Bitrate & TV Size
I currently have a 50" Samsung F8500, but I'm thinking about upgrading to the 60" or 65" model.

Before I pull the trigger, I'm wondering how the standard XBMC content looks on TVs of this size...

WTV to MKV 720P HDTV shows -- typical bitrate of 3500-4500kbps
720p Movies - typical bitrate of 4500kbps
1080p Movies - typical bitrate of 12000kbps

Is there a TV size to bitrate recommendation?

Any input would be monumentally appreciated
1080p 120000 kbps looks great. Just watched a movie like that. But there are of course other factors.

I use 720p for most TV Shows because it would just take too much space to get a 1080p bluray rip. I'm fairly happy with those as well. I use a 70 inch HDTV.

It all depends on your perception of quality though. There are members here who ONLY do full bluray backups and have huge 40TB+ servers. Then there are people who are completely happy with YIFY style rips on their HDTV. So it all is based on what you find acceptable. I've watched all quality levels of movies and I'll say this, it still looks better on the big screen. No matter what. There has never been a time when I go "Wow, this is low bitrate, I wish I had a smaller TV so it looked better." I'd much rather have the large HDTV, than a small TV and low quality content.

There are people that HANDS DOWN, will only get a 2 GB encode of a 1080p movie. They don't even consider anything larger and it looks AMAZING to them. So be it. There are people who only want a 1080p bluray rip (like almost full to full). They NEED the full quality.

I'd link a thread to a forum post but not sure if I'm allowed. But if you google Yify vs PublicHD you'll find many blog/forum posts of users posting about their screen size and the video they watch and as you can see, opinions vary WILDLY.

Some people are PERFECTLY happy with their low quality encodes and low bit rate encodes. Then you have people who only do high quality. Then you have people like myself, who saw low quality and loved it, then saw high quality and can NEVER go back. It's too user specific for any recommendation to have any real meaning.
---------------------------
Short Version:
This is a pointless thread/discussion to make because every single person will have WILDLY varying ideas of what they find acceptable. Make a couple of encodes, download a couple of encodes, whatever, and see what bitrate is best for you.
@newosky I believe that if you are happy Atm with the encodings you see now at 1080p in your 55" tv then you will not have any problem with th 65 model. Off course there are movies that need higher bit rate for example blade runner but it's up to you to decide as @tential said above. To me a compromise between a full bit to bit rip and a movie yifi style must be decided but again it's up to you.
There's no substitute for experience
For me it also depends on what I'm watching. I don't need a 1080p blu ray quality rip to enjoy a show like Modern Family or something else. I'll take a 720p HDTV rip of it. But if I'm watching Game of Thrones, I don't even want to watch it on TV. I'll wait for the bluray to come out to watch a bluray of it.
Children's shows? I'll get a low quality HDTV rip of it that I make myself usually as I just need it to be small for guests kids. I don't care about it myself, so I want it to take up very little drive space while being acceptable to watch if I'm stuck watching it with the kids.

Also I look at it as a cost per movie. 4.5 cents per GB is a reasonable price to buy storage from. I can afford a 10GB movie at 45 cents. I think ANYONE can. Would you seriously not purchase a bluray version of a movie to get the DVD version (assuming you have a blurray/dvd player) because the DVD version was 30 cents cheaper? Storing a high quality movie only costs 45 cents to under 1 dollar. There is no way I could justify having a low quality encode/bitrate just so I could save a couple pennies.
Thanks guys!
I recently upgraded from 50" to 60", but also from a 720p TV to 1080p. I did notice a difference on some movies/TV shows I already had, just a little bit more grainy blowing it up that much more, particaulrly in really dark scenes. These were all 720p rips though, so I've started upgrading them all to higher bitrate and 1080p, and things are much better.
Be careful about "Grainy" though.
Some movies have grain in them that is MEANT to be there. Man of Steel for example.
Grainy was a poor word choice. It's more blotchy, what you see on lower bitrate content when for example, there is a dark scene with shadows, or panning across a solid colored wall, that kind of thing. Compression artifacts I guess. It was much more noticeable when scaled up to 60 inches
Ya I figured that's what you meant. But since you said Grainy, I felt like if I didn't say anything, someone would come back watch a high bitrate file and complain about Grain when the grain is supposed to be there and encoders work hard to make sure it shows lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitrate & TV Size0