• 2(current)
Cost of Backing up Media
(2014-04-20, 22:19)tential Wrote: jammyb didn't read what I wrote and just assumed I was talking about normal RAID.

The OP asks how do we backup our media. You suggest unRAID. Which whilst is a form of a backup. Isn't a proper one. Sure, it helps minimise data loss. But as you said. If 2 or more drives fall over. You've lost the lot!

(2014-04-20, 22:32)FishOil Wrote: Who runs hardware RAID anymore? Mess up the array? Controller go down? Dude you are living in the past.

BTW, its hard to take anything you say seriously with all the fuck fuck fuck.

I can't of been asleep this long!? Huh Must be showing my age, but people still use hardware RAID bud. I appreciate that the softwares gotten a lot better. But RAID put me off for life after the amount of people who don't back it all up!

[troll]Sorry, forgot my Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I dread but again embrace the day of being taken seriously. CoolLaugh[/troll]

(2014-04-20, 22:40)bluray Wrote: I'm guessing that he is rated "R" guy. For sure, his language is not for PG-13 reader....Big Grin

I hope that the person he is trying to help is not underage.....

Oh no! I think he said he was going to go play Call of Duty! Quick, call the his mother! Rofl underage, sheesh!

(2014-04-20, 22:41)tential Wrote: It's why I stopped posting on hardware forums. It's way too full of people who are either A) trolling or B) severely uninformed.
MOST levels of RAID offer data protection against a hard drive failure. There is only RAID (RAID 0) that doesn't offer data protection and you'll lose your data.

I of course was talking about software raid as you already were quick to figure out because you're capable of reading a full post. Also, it's extremely surprising the amount of people who post without fact checking. Before I post anything to help someone, I check to make sure what I'm staying is still relevant as things change all the time. It's so easy to make sure you never make yourself look stupid on the internet that why would you purposely post something as a complete fact without just consulting google first.

I love that I'm getting berated. This is hilarious. The guy who suggests unRAID for backup is calling me a fool. Ha!

But on another note. Doesn't anyone use Cloud storage yetHuh

It's bloody handy for accessing it anywhere if you can't access your server for some reason [naff router serving fiber connection!]
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I mirror everything, because I had the drives and a Synology box I was retiring otherwise - I'd probably continue on that road now because I'm on it. However, there're a couple of themes here (and they're not X-rated, either):

1. Back up what's important. To disc, to tape, to paper, to optical, as originals, doesn't matter - have at least one extra copy.

2. RAID of any form will give you some protection, but it's not full backup. Get your server nicked, set fire to it, pour coffee on it, have two drives die that you bought in the same batch at the same time... bye-bye data.

3. Think disaster recovery versus single drive failure... what's the likely risk, what's the impact, what does it take to mitigate it, what's the price/budget. You can have ten real-time, off-site, cloud-based copies if you like, and if you're utterly paranoid. Put them in all in the same datacentre, though, and you're buggered if a 'plane drops onto them. So it's now a case of "is it likely to happen", "how can I avoid it", "what's the impact if it does", etc.

I'd also add:

4. You can hold multiple copies locally as well of important data (e.g. ZFS's ability to replicate documents within the array, or just replicate locally). Again, not *backup* per se, but another level of resilience versus corruption.
(2014-04-20, 19:46)jammyb Wrote: Yup it's costly. But I buy 2 drives at a time. So it doesn't mean I have to keep buying.

One is a backup/mirror of the other.

If one dies. The backup/mirror is put in to replace it.

Then another single drive I have as a spare is the backup until either the warranty replacement comes [which becomes the main drive over the backup one] or I purchase another drive [but only one so that I have pairs]

The backups are kept in rubber sleeves and off site. Backups are performed monthly but haven't been done this year yet as haven't the time and the Files most dear to me [photos and videos] are also cloud stored on Box and Dropbox and that's automatic.

Am considering doinking the music on the server as use spotify!

this is almost identical to my process i keep an identical drive with just a direct mirror copy of each one i then store them either in anti-static bags or HDD cases in a foam cutout the computer store gave me that they get shipped in and they sit on my bookshelf for drives not yet full i perform backup each week of any new and/or modified files and once a month i plug in and spin up the older drives that are full and do not require weekly backups i just give them a spin up to keep them in working order

my PC case has a docking station built in so it makes it convenient

if anything goes wrong i do like above swap out dead drive with back then whilst that is running i go and buy another drive then perform full backup onto new drive and that becomes my new backup drive essentially cycling them through
I use unRAID. If one drive dies, then the system will rebuild that drive. If two drives die, you only lose the data on those two drives (they can't be rebuilt) but the data on the other drives in the system is still okay.

Backing up to a second set of drives must really only apply to those that score media from other places. When you own the original disks, they serve as the backup.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
(2014-04-20, 23:20)jammyb Wrote: [troll]Sorry, forgot my Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I dread but again embrace the day of being taken seriously. CoolLaugh[/troll]

That and your "FUCK" video have crossed a line. Thats Enough! STOP!
Having lived in a city that has suffered a major natural disaster I can tell you backups that don't work;

1. The dual backup drives that take turns to go home with the office manager. No good because both are in the office when disaster strikes and everyone runs from the office.

2. Online backup to servers in the same city. The server owners are as screwed as you.

Having said that, it's only movies.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i do not currently do backups aside from the actual dvd/cd/blurays so if a drive multiple drives fail in my unraid server im in for a lot of work but im building a new server over the next couple weeks and i will probably keep the old one intact and just thow it in storage so that will at least be a back up of what i currently own.
working for nettapp helps

working for netapp....i can...ahem...'borrow' a bit of storage
Documents, pictures, home media -> sync to 3 units and cloud. All else -> separate drives. I get good, reliable drives, keep an eye on SMART logs and scan them regulary for any sign of corruption or faults. All else is entertainment I can afford to lose. I wouldn't like it - but for me, given my outbound bandwidth can be described as *BIIIII-RRRRR-TTCCHHHH-RRRHRHRHR-SSSSSSS-BIBI-BRRRT-BRT* (which takes cloud backup of bulk media out of the equation) - then a "bulletproof", distributed/off-site full backup solution just isn't worth the hassle or price tag.

Besides cloud storage and multi-unit sync of important docs, pics and similar - I guess it simply brews down to; How big a loss would it be?

(And to be fair - what are your resorces besides money? I had a 2TB packed drive die on me a few weeks ago. 20 minutes googling, 20 minutes of putty tinkering with TTL via RS232 adapter - good as new).

When it comes to JBOD, please do your reasearch on how your system operates the JBOD volume. If file system information is stored on only one drive, all data on all drives is fairly screwed, if that one drive fails.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-20, 23:38)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I mirror everything, because I had the drives and a Synology box I was retiring otherwise - I'd probably continue on that road now because I'm on it. However, there're a couple of themes here (and they're not X-rated, either):

1. Back up what's important. To disc, to tape, to paper, to optical, as originals, doesn't matter - have at least one extra copy.

2. RAID of any form will give you some protection, but it's not full backup. Get your server nicked, set fire to it, pour coffee on it, have two drives die that you bought in the same batch at the same time... bye-bye data.

3. Think disaster recovery versus single drive failure... what's the likely risk, what's the impact, what does it take to mitigate it, what's the price/budget. You can have ten real-time, off-site, cloud-based copies if you like, and if you're utterly paranoid. Put them in all in the same datacentre, though, and you're buggered if a 'plane drops onto them. So it's now a case of "is it likely to happen", "how can I avoid it", "what's the impact if it does", etc.

I'd also add:

4. You can hold multiple copies locally as well of important data (e.g. ZFS's ability to replicate documents within the array, or just replicate locally). Again, not *backup* per se, but another level of resilience versus corruption.

Most helpful post. Thank you.

Everyone else, thanks for telling me how you do things, although it would have been nice if you'd have kept things civilized. Let\s keep things classy next time. Thank for the info.
Nothing safer than keeping the original disc on the rack!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Oh, but what about polycarbonate mites and termites?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
My server only redundantly stores important stuff. My documents, assets, photos, and the project folders for my OWN films that I've worked on. The actual media I store for consumption is not redundantly stored at all. If something goes wrong, I'll just require it from the same place I got it from. Tongue
(2014-04-21, 02:41)pr0xZen Wrote: Oh, but what about polycarbonate mites and termites?
No termites here, because my house is very well treated and there is no natural disaster here either. I feel very confident that my Blu-ray movies are very safe by storing it at two locations (original disc and hard drive)....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-21, 04:43)bluray Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 02:41)pr0xZen Wrote: Oh, but what about polycarbonate mites and termites?
No termites here, because my house is very well treated and there is no natural disaster here either. I feel very confident that my Blu-ray movies are very safe by storing it at two locations (original disc and hard drive)....

Unless, god forbid I hope it never happens to anyone, a fire..

I use mirrored drives with one set that remains in an electrostatic bag that is locked in a fireproof/waterproof safe and updated every couple weeks.. About 90% of my stuff came from my own media (with some being resolution upgrades) and those are in a storage facility in the next town over. Even though I have the media, I do not want to spend that time reencoding my movies. It took 3 weeks when I was unemployed the first time around and that was over 3 years ago. My collection has almost doubled since then. There is also a third copy off site in my parents machine that gets updated every couple weeks(whenever I can visit). They are about 60 miles away so likely event a natural disaster hitting and destroying all my media at the same time is very rare.
My personal data(photos, scanned important documents ect...) is also mirrored and in the safe, but are also synced to two different cloud based services.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cost of Backing up Media0