Advice removing FAN on Apple TV 1 Silver
Hi all,
I am owning Apple TV1 Silver 40GB version with installed Crystal HD and Crystalbuntu OS.
I am wondering if there is a chance removing FAN from case but leaving HDD inside without Heating problems after?
I know that there are video guides on YouTube how to remove FAN and HDD but i am wondering is there any possibilities to remove ONLY fan because the noise is very very annoying (especially at night) but i need internal HDD because i have Crystalbuntu on it (much much better performance than USB version).

Now what i am afraid is, am i gonna have a HEATING problems if i leave Hard Drive inside or not? Anyone tried this?

Tx in advance for your answers guyz.
Cheerz
I don't think the HDD puts out very much heat. Most of the heat comes from the processors. Since you're using the BCHD chip to offload most of the video decoding then there's a good chance you can remove the fan without major issues, at least in the short run. Normally the fan is near silent, so getting a cheap replacement might be a better option. There could be a chip in one of the blades or an imbalance causing the loud noise on the existing fan.
I generally dont turn off ATV1 and cannot since it has no power button. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
I noticed that he always is turning fan, doesnt matter if device is in stanby or not...that is what bothers me most. If i remove fan, maybe he will overheat in a long time working dunno?
I am scarred to try so i hope someone here tryed and can share their expiriences.
Hi there -

I made a few of those YouTube videos and have had my ATV1 running for a few years with no fan. I much prefer to also remove the HDD as it is also a source of noise, but I can see no issue with leaving it in. I've done it myself (take out the fan but leaving the HDD) for short periods of time and can attest that the fan does very little in terms of cooling. To be safe I would make sure to remove the rubber footing on the bottom to fully expose the silver metal case since it is perforated and will aide in cooling. Put some little feet on the ATV1 too...

Should work fine, worst case you blow out the hard drive =)
(2014-04-21, 19:09)Ozymandyaz Wrote: Hi there -

I made a few of those YouTube videos and have had my ATV1 running for a few years with no fan. I much prefer to also remove the HDD as it is also a source of noise, but I can see no issue with leaving it in. I've done it myself (take out the fan but leaving the HDD) for short periods of time and can attest that the fan does very little in terms of cooling. To be safe I would make sure to remove the rubber footing on the bottom to fully expose the silver metal case since it is perforated and will aide in cooling. Put some little feet on the ATV1 too...

Should work fine, worst case you blow out the hard drive =)

Thanx for tip i did that with removing rubber footing and i've got some feet for case already, next step is this fan issue i am workin' on....
You said that you removed HDD long time ago, tell me about speed of xbmc since its on USB now? I heard its much slower than when u have Crystalbuntu on hdd, that is why i'm bothering with keeping hdd inside...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice removing FAN on Apple TV 1 Silver0