?HOW-TO:Modify the video cache?
Windows 7, Gotham b4. Yes, I read the wiki.

I have a problem where if I pause too long during a live stream (more than a couple minutes), the connection will drop. I also don't like it when I go back to re-watch something earlier in a program and everything has to re-buffer. XBMC should "remember" it, especially if the server is crappy. I thought that I could solve this with the Cache 0 fix, which I thought changed the buffer from something fickle into something more permanent by saving a stream onto my hard drive.

So far, though, I seem to be having the same problems. If I try to hop around from place to place in a stream, even something I've watched almost all the way through, the connection drops. I tried to activate it with two different add-ons (I don't know how to edit "advancedsettings.xml")

Also, my HTPC has Windows 7 with the OS and programs on an SSD and media on an HDD. How can I make sure the cache is on the HDD and NOT the SSD?

Lastly, if I view a stream and the entire program is cached, can I extract the file after the fact, name it, and save it permanently, dvr style?
Can you get us a debug log (wiki)? I've heard of this issue, but I haven't been able to replicate it myself using SMB shares. I can jump around without rebuffering, and my connection isn't dropped. However, if XBMC caches the entire video then my drives go to sleep, and XBMC will occasionally time out when reconnecting to them. However, that sometimes happens even outside of cacheing video, like starting a video for the first time.

I think the cached video file is stored int he temp folder, which you can find by looking at this page: special protocol (wiki). However, I don't think the file itself is usable for replaying. Even if you copy it while XBMC hasn't cleared the cache, like on pause, I don't think the data will make sense to XBMC if you feed it back as a new video. Or something along those lines.
Thank you for the reply. I'll try to figure out how to use a debug log and replicate my errors.

I found the temp folder. Is there a way to move the temp folder to my scratch disk so it's not rewriting over and over on my flash drive? That's bad for an ssd, isn't it?
I'm honestly not sure, but maybe path subs (wiki) and the special protocol (wiki) for the temp folder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
?HOW-TO:Modify the video cache?0